Ruger SP101

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by jeffkaiser1989, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jeffkaiser1989

jeffkaiser1989 New Member

Looking at getting a .357 for carry and home defense. any problems with the ruger sp101? Any input appreciated

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Darned good choice. I've not heard of any problems with them.

3. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

Nice handgun, very well built. I like mine and enjoy shooting it but too many 357 rounds are a little hard on my hands. I have the 2.5" barrel and kind of wish I would of gotten a longer one, but that is just me.
    I did the trigger job and it made the DA even smoother. I haven't carried mine but I could see it being a really nice carry gun with plenty of power.

Ken

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I had one. Solid gun. Never had problems. Good size but heavy for its size which helps shootability a bit, but makes carry a little harder in light clothing. A snubby .357 mag doesn't benefit much from the extra powder with the short barrel. Flash and blast noise were a possible low light concern for night vision. A GP100 ads bulk, weight, longer barrel. Not as handy for carry but more pleasant to shoot with better control and an ability to harness some of the extra power of a .357 mag over a .38 Special.

Hard to have one .357 that does both well, but the SP101 is pretty good. I wish Ruger still made the Security Six.

5. jeffkaiser1989

thanks guys im looking at a 4inch one. in .357 i figure ill carry it with .357 and if i leave it at home for home defense ill load it with .38s

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is probably the last handgun I would sell.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have an sp101 and it is what it is It goes bang every time. I have an old charter that is easier to carry. Finding an SP101 or an old charter for that matter is a task.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My wife loves both hers: the 2.25" SP 101 & the 1.875 LCR. The Grips make a world of difference! The only short tubed gun of current production that handles the pounding of constant full power loads. Notice I said current...I may get one for myself!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I've been considering the same. I didn't think I would want to CC my S&W M&P .40 full size due to the weight and physical size. The SP101 is smaller and lighter but it is thicker (cylinder) than the M&P .40. So now I don't know for sure what I am going to do.

The 3" barrel to me looks most balanced but I like the appearance of the 4" with the wood grain inlaid grips and fiber optic sights. I suspect the 3" is easier to draw due to the sights of the 4" also.

Mouse over each line definition to see the image of THAT model.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html

10. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

I agree the sp101 with 4.2 inch barrel and fiber optic front sight just looks amazing.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

We shot a 4" version a few days ago. Excellent gun. Very pleasant to shoot. My wife loved it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Again, the grips make a world of difference! Put a Houge Tamer on any smaller wheelgun and tell me you don't "feel" the difference....

13. jeffkaiser1989

now thats what i was hoping to see. this is gonna be a home defense/carry gun so my wife needs to be able to handle it. i figure when i carry it ill load it with .357 leave it at home with .38 and have a box of .357 JHP next to it just in case. thanks for all the advice hopefully the next time i post it will be with pictures. cant wait till tax time!

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

I think that's an excellent plan. For the record, my wife preferred shooting the SP101 with .38 Specials over shooting the Ruger LC9 or Kahr PM9. Of course this is because of the weight of the gun. Excellent shooter.

15. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Your wife or the gun? :cool:

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

Given the relatively short amount of time my wife has been shooting, and with no formal training to speak of, I'd say both.

:)

17. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

I am eyeing the 4 inch version pretty hard also. This is lives where I sleep. I think the sp101 feels as solid, if more so, than some higher-priced revolvers. Tbh I've only shot about 80 rds of .357 in one session- no lingering ache.

There are some interesting grips available. I have some nice wood ones but the Hogues tame a lot more of the felt recoil.
    image-671902785.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  18. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Aw man. Now ya got me wanting one.

19. levelcross

levelcross New Member

The two problems that seem to plague the SP 101 are the grips are marginal yet easy to change, and it's appetite for ammo.

These are great for carry or home defense in the .357 and easier to handle in .38. The wife loves to shoot it with .38's and I prefer the .357's. I had a trigger job done at the local shop and also ported the barrel. I tried a beautiful set of Walnut grips that I hated to shoot with so I got a set of Pachmayr grips that were better and now use the Hogue grips and love them.

Attached Files:

20. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I have been doing much analysis of the Ruger SP101 in comparison to the S&W M&P .40 fullsize. I was surprised to learn the M&P is smaller, lighter when empty - but a little heavier when loaded. And the Glock 22 isn't much heavier or larger than either.

My goal was to obtain a slightly small, thinner and lighter gun for CCW.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013