Ruger sp101

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by cAs58, Jan 3, 2014.

1. cAs58

cAs58 New Member

Is the ruger sp101 a good gun? Whats the difference between the gp100 and the sp101

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

both are very good Guns. The SP 101 comes in 2.1", 3.2", and 4.2" in 22,38,327, and 357. In the larger ca,liners it is a 5 shot, while the GP100 is a 6 shot, and has 4.2" and 6" configurations.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

exactly as Dr.Football said. if looking for more of range and target pistol, i would suggest the GP100. if looking for more of a CC piece, then the SP101 would get my vote. both are very good options. Ruger has an excellent reputation for quality.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Excellent advice. I have the SP101 myself. It's built like a tank and shoots quite well. If you get one, I would suggest switching out the stock grips with a Hogue Monogrip or similar. It makes shooting full house rounds much easier.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with the suggestion of using the Hogue grips. i have been using them for many years now along with the Pachmyer grips. i like the Hogue grips a little better. grips will make a world of difference in how much better you can control recoil. the better it fits, the better you can shoot.

plus, for rubber grip, the Hogue Monogrips look pretty dang good too!

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I couldn't deal with the rubber grips that come of the SP 101. It's like the gun is glued to your hand. I do much better with the Hogue wood grips. The Hogue grips fit my hand better and they allow the pistol to rock in my hands, instead of taking all the recoil with my hands.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

The owner of my previous LGS in Kali let my wife and I shoot his SP101 in the 4.2" bbl (fiber optic front sight) one time.

It was an excellent shooting gun. I will probably end up buying one some day.

8. DrFootball

Yeah, My Wife (MzGrn) has the 2.2" SP101 In Stainless. Changed out the Orig. Grip for the Houge Tamer Monogrip. She is very accurate with it, with just about every Load from 38 Spl. wadcutters to 158Gr. SJHP 357's.....

9. lucznik

lucznik New Member

Unfortunately, the .327 is no longer offered in the SP101. Ruger now only offers the .327 in their GP100, which is a travesty.

10. DrFootball

Thanks, Didn't know they had stopped! I also noticed the only 22Mag. is the LCR. They aren't making it In the SP101 anymore either. just the 22LR.

11. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Stupid me...I picked one up SP101 at the gun show Saturday just to hold. I sure did like it but didn't buy. I'd love to have one but need financial support.

12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

i prefer wood grips as well, bought a pair of "new old stock" Mustang custom combat grips, im very pleased.