Ruger SP101 2.25" DA Only

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by aandabooks, Feb 19, 2014.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Anyone have one and if you do how does it shoot? Considering one but gave up a S&W 642 due to not loving the DA only trigger. Two different guns as far as weight.

I was also looking at a Taurus in 9mm and it is DA/SA. A 9mm revolver intrigues me.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one and it is a great revolver. If you did not like the trigger on the 642 you wont like the trigger on the Ruger or Taurus either. I had mine worked over and it i pretty smooth. I have the Crimson Trace 411 on mine which is a boot grip style. 38 spl +P is mild. 125 and 158 grain mags are a handful but manageable. The bigger grips take away from the conceal ability. The best out of box revolver trigger is the Ruger LCR.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

It wasn't really the trigger itself. Just not having the option to shoot SA. The trigger pull itself just takes some getting used to. I sometimes shoot my GP100 in bowling pin comps. DA is something I have to force myself to work on more.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a 642. The J-Frame also comes in SA/DA. I will not buy the one with the shrouded hammer though. I would either want the fully exposed hammer or the double action only. I would not want to try to un-cock a loaded gun with the shrouded hammer. That just seems like a ND waiting to happen.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Ruger triggers respond very well to the Wolf springs. Mine is very smooth and considerably lighter.

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I just got an sp101 in single/double, but I rarely do single action, I like the long trigger pull, it's very easy to stage in DA and be almost as accurate as single action, more so than the S&W's I have fired, but it could be entirely because of the size of my hands and not the gun that it shoots better for me than S&W's. Either way I really dig the sp101 so far.

7. bigjim

bigjim New Member

I had one, sold it right off, no sights, heavy trigger pull, hard to hit anything with a 2 1/4 inch barrel.

Stay away from the DA only revolvers.

Jim

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you didn't like the S&W you are not going to like the Ruger. Why whip yourself twice?

9. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want a nice trigger look at the ruger LCR

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A short barreled revolver can be an effective tool, but it takes a lot of dedication to master it.

The short sight radius is the reason most people believe that they are inaccurate.

Put a short barreled revolver against a long barrel revolver in a rest and overall accuracy between the two will be very close.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I agreee 100%! That is why I want a hammer on a short barrel revolver. If I have a chance for a well aimed shot I want to shoot the gun in single action. It's not like the gun is going to lose anything by having a hammer.

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I know, i'd like to know who these people are that have 10 lbs of lint in their pocket, a handful of quarters and a loop tied around the hammer into their jeans that they just can't possibly make a hammered revolver work for them.