Ruger single-six vs GP100?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by BEEFEATER, Oct 14, 2009.

1. BEEFEATER

BEEFEATER New Member

Hi guys,this is my first post.I have very minimum experience with firearm but I went to range last week and rented 9mm and had a blast so I decided to buy my fist handgun.After I did some research I narrow down to Singlesix or Gp100.To me Single Six would be a great starter gun but even with 22wmr Can I use it for home protection?I can't afford to buy another gun anytime soon.Now for Gp100 I think it's can be use both range/home protection but Do you think for starter like me and I want my wife to learn how to use it too gp100 is not right for a first gun?:confused:

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

A GP100 is a fine revolver and a solid choice for a home defense gun. To keep practice cost down, you can train with cheaper .38 ammo. There's no .22 I'd recommend for a home defense gun.

As far as cheap practice goes, a .22 is a great way to start. A single-six is a classic, however, the skills you learn with it don't necessarily transfer to a common home defense gun. A single action revolver is very different in operation to a double action revolver (with swing-out cylinder) or a semi-auto pistol...

3. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Never mind the fact that they are built like tanks. Great gun, I love mine.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If you can only afford one handgun right now and for the foreseeable future, I suggest the GP100. It delivers much more firepower than a .22 of any variation. If you want it for the range and self/home defense, it will handle all of those roles admirably.

The Single Six is a classic and a fun revolver to shoot, but it's not what I would choose in a defensive situation.
    .38 and .357 ammunition are by no means cheap anymore, but what is your life worth?

5. cobra22

cobra22 New Member

One more vote for the GP100. I love mine and as said, its above built like a tank.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'll echo the guys sentiments. .22 is not ideal for home defense. The GP 100 is a great revolver and you can use .38 specials for range time. Can't go wrong with a proven ruger revolver!

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Definitely the GP 100 for home defense. But I see a Single-six on the shelf of every gun store I shop at and you can pick up a used one for $200 or less and they are great to practice with.

Every time I go to the range I take my single six to warm up with and practice different techniques and weak hand shooting. It is extremely cheap to shoot and you will gain comfort with firearms in general. But as stated above you should also be practicing unloading/reloading with the double action using speedloaders.

Get both if you can. But if not get the GP100 first.

8. WDB

WDB New Member

Welcome to FTF, take some time and introduce yourself on the new members thread. With that it will give members a little more information about yourself (expereince with firearms, expected use of a firearm and a bit about you and where you live) that let us give you an informed opinion. We have many member that come to the forum with little expereince and there are many that will help you with questions.

For a new/newer shooter the best advice is to find a range that rents and shoot several different firearms. Tell those working at the range your firearm expereince, the expectation you have of the pistol. They should help you find the firearm that its you best.

9. Grey

Grey New Member

Buy both. This hobby costs $ as you'll soon figure out.

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

My dad has a single six, great gun, fun to shoot, accurate, no complaints at all. Using a 22LR or wmr for self defense is less then ideal.

I've shot GP100 and I own an SP101, both are great weapons and as mentioned, built like tanks. I would echo many here and go with the GP100. You can use 38's for practice and to learn. There are also some good self defense rounds available in 38, I are my wife with 125gr Gold Dots. Once you get used to that you could always jump up to 357 mags which is a well established defense round.
    I would caution you to make sure you're comfortable with the gun before making the jump, the two rounds have two very different personalities.

11. BuddyL

BuddyL New Member

.22 = squirrels
    .357 = world of hurt

IMHO, very humble

12. BEEFEATER

BEEFEATER New Member

Ruger GP100 vs Single six(PART2)

Thank you so much about feedbacks.I decide to went to range again yesterday but all they have are 9mm for rental anyway I had fun with it.I've decided to buy Gp100 even this is will be my first gun but ONLY gun and the owner of the gun shop that I went to recommend the same thing.Here's a small problem he offering brand new GP100 blued brand new for $450 but If I want to buy both he has Single-six brand new for $750.He has Single six on the shelf with price tag of $459.He told me that I will have a lot of fun with Single-six and maybe I could take my wife with me to the range?$300 extra for brand new Single-six sound like a very fair deal?Is he a good salesman or Should I go for combo packs?

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Both for $750 is more than fair, especially if both are new, however anything over $300 for a single-six is too much. Get both and have fun!

14. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Hey BEEFEATER
    One vote against the GP100, my barrel cracked. Ruger won't stand behind their product. Buy a Taurus, great guns, low prices, and lifetime warranty's.
    Ruger single six great gun cant go wrong.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  15. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You're going to compare a Taurus with Ruger.
    [​IMG]

16. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Yes, I will for the cost of the firearm. Also,I thought Taurus bought Smith & Wesson molds.
    I mostly have a bone to pick with Ruger with my cracked GP100.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My familiarity with Rugers, and Ruger Customer Service, does not reflect your bad experience with your 1992 GP100 and its cracked barrel.

Me thinks thou protest too loudly! Why do I think if I would send the same gun in for warranty work it would be back in my hands shortly with all issues resolved.

I think this story has an element or two missing and if we had both sides things may well add up, because they sure don't right now.

If you're so sore at Ruger why do you hang onto this revolver? Sell this junk gun to me and I bet I have it running at 100% with some postage in a month.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Yeah there's something more to this story. Ruger is not in the business of leaving their customers unsatisfied. Every experience I've had with them over the years has been positive.

Are their firearms perfect? No.

Are their firearms solid? Yes.

Will they fix any problem related to their manufacturing? Yes.

19. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

How in the hell did you manage to pull that one off?:confused:

20. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

This guy has appeared out of nowhere and hit every Ruger thread, bashing the GP100. His credibility is suspect, at the very least.