ruger single six new vs old

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Drkuhar, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Drkuhar

Drkuhar New Member

I was looking at a new single six convertable for about 475. A guy I know has a old single six convertable from late sixties to early seventies looks to be in good shape for 275.00. These are 22lr/22mag. Is there any difference I need to be cautious of if I go with the older one

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I would buy the older one in a second. Ruger will "convert" an old model to a new model for no charge if that is what you want. The old ones do not have a transfer bar(safety feature).

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Get the old--DO NOT convert it!

4. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Very good price for the old one. Grab it and run. I much prefer the "three screw" model to the new models.

5. Drkuhar

Drkuhar New Member

On the old ones will the cylinders be stamped like the new ones to make sure they match or does it matter that much

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Sometimes the serial number(or part of it) is barely visible on the cylinders. Often you can swap cylinders between different Rugers without any problems(not always).

7. Drkuhar

Drkuhar New Member

The 22lr cylinder is stamped with a matching serial number last three digits of the gun. The other cylinder has no stamping or marks on it. . He said he has never used the other cylinder. How would I verify it is a 22 mag cylinder and that it would work. He is over an hour away from me. I dont know how to verify this and dont want to get stuck

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The back of the 22 mag cylinder does not have a recess like the 22 LR cylinder(the backs look totally different). Here is a mag cylinder back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Converted to transfer bar rugers are safe to carry all chambers loaded not converted are 5 shot only.

Ive fired both cant tell any functional difference.

If it has been converted its worth a little less if the original parts arent there.

Cylinders will be marked with a portion of the serial. Usually electro penciled the last four.

10. Drkuhar

Drkuhar New Member

Thanks for the help everybody. I guessed my asking questions freaked the guy out now he wont sell it . I personally think he might have been scamming and I knew what to look for now and he realized it

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Sounds bout right. There are a lot of those convertables missing the 22 mag cylinder or 22 lr cylinder.