Ruger Scout

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Phelenwolf, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I am looking at getting a new bolt action rifle and was looking at Rugers new Gunsite Scout rifle in .308. I was wondering if anyone has one and what they think about it.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

They look interesting, but Ruger rifles do not have the best reputation for accuracy.

3. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I am not sure about that I have several Ruger rifles that I have used to hunt with over the years and they have never lost there zero.

4. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

It's a neat concept and would love to try one. Read an article about the Scout and the writer got some decent 5 shot groups with the gun, 1-2.5" depending on ammo. I could imagine that 10rnd magazine being a bit too bulky in some situations when hunting though.

Btw. I think robo was talking about the mechanical accuracy of the Ruger rifles, not how they hold zero.

5. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I'd personally love to try the scout. As for accuracy issues. The only ones I'm aware of are early-mid era mini-14's due to barrel warping at high temps. I've heard that's been resolved since the redesign in....2006?

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My 1A and 77 were accurate. Both would shoot 5 rounds under an inch at 100 yards. I did have the barrel on the 77 floated. I did not like the pressure on the barrel at the front of the stock. The new Ruger American looks interesting, especially at the price.

7. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Is it just me or does the stock on the Ruger American look exactly like the stock on the savage axis?

8. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I have a Ruger 77 in 7x57mm that is deadly accurate. As for the
    Scout Rifle concept (no disrespect to Jeff Cooper) I just don't
    have a need for it and I cannot abide LER scopes, so I won't be
    getting one. The new American rifle may become interesting.

9. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Im just into the 10rd 308 bolt config. I know AR 10's an the like made them obsolete but its just cool. Closest thing I have right now is my sporter enfield SMLE in 303. Honestly I wouldnt even put a LER scope on the ruger scout.