Ruger Scout Magazines

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Vikingdad, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am getting very interested in a .308 rifle and given my appreciation for Ruger's products I am seriously considering the Scout. Does the Scout only accept Ruger magazines like the Mini 14/30's, or will it accept M1A/M14 magazines?

2. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I think it only accepts the Ruger magazines. I've got some of the metal ones and some of the plastic ones. The plastic ones are a lot easier to load. And they seem well built. The magazine prices are the downside to the Scout!

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That is unfortunate. If there is one big complaint I have with Ruger it is the fact that you cannot use common magazines in the guns. It would be awesome is you could use an AR magazine in a Mini 14 or a, M1/M14 mag on the Scout. man, that would be cool!

Too bad there isn't a really good retrofit kit for just that! It does appear as though it can be done but it doesn't work very well?

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mossberg has introduced the 308 MVP and it takes the M1A mags. I have the 5.56x45 MVP and it takes AR mags. Sub MOA too.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsEtylhriHA[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  5. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

The Mossberg looks pretty cool. A good option if you're not stuck on Ruger, or if you really need the higher capacity magazines.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Agreed! The MVP is definitely a contender. Both configurations are intriguing, I imagine that they are interchangeable on one receiver?

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Sadly the Scout mags are Proprietary to the Gun. I'd love one but I hear the trouble folks are having scoping it.
    I know the SR rifles do take common mags(the 556 takes AR 15 mags and the new 762 takes AR 10 mags. Or so I hear,...

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Well, a friend of mine has loaned me his unfired M1A for awhile, but it is temporary (he has had it for almost 2 years and never fired it:confused:). Only thing I need now is more mags for it.

I still want a bolt action .308 though.

9. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

What trouble scoping it? It sounds simple if set up as intended. Even has the rail already on. Are they trying to mount conventional scopes?

10. sandog

sandog Member

I haven't heard of any trouble either. The GSR comes with the forward rail and Ruger rings for conventional scope mounting. Wonder what trouble ?

Attached Files:

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

from reading posts here, some folks had an issue with "scout" scopes. If you can put a Scope on an M1Carbine.......