Ruger Revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by MattyT, Feb 9, 2013.

1. MattyT

MattyT New Member

Ruger Single Six, Nine, or Ten? And why?

2. regload

regload Member

None of those. Rather, GP, SP, Redhawk. I don't understand the practical (non-competition) appeal of SAO.

3. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

It's an acquired taste, nothing to do with practical. I would go go with the 9. 22mag is more fun AND "practical" for small game hunting

4. Donn

Donn Active Member

Classic design, amazing accuracy, SAO, by definition, teaches/requires firepower discipline.

5. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

When your target is the size of a half dollar maybe twenty yards away, it makes sense to cock the hammer, as quietly as possible, and brace yourself as best as you can. For this, double action has no real advantage. Nor does a nine or ten shot revolver. The little single action .22 is tops for small game hunting or plinking.

Bob Wright

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Single Six,that way when you upgrade to a .45LC you will already be in the groove.I had the single six convertible .22LR/.22Mag and it was great,had the little 4.6" barrel.

7. regload

regload Member

None of the replies to my post affects my opinion of SAO. All of the Rugers I suggested shoot BOTH SA and DA. And, they are quite accurate in SA mode. The mere fact that a revolver shoots only SA does not make it more accurate than one which shoots both SA and DA. I know; I have three of them.
    Furthermore, SAO isn't any less expensive, either.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

SA has fewer parts and are less likely to break or get out of adjustment.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Very true---And he didn't ask about any of them ;)

10. MattyT

MattyT New Member

What is the differences between the ruger gp100, sp101, blackhawk, red hawk, and vaquero?

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Some are DA & some are SA -
    blackhawk and vaquero are SA only-

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

GP100 - Medium frame DA/SA

SP101 - Small frame DA/SA

Blackhawk - Large frame, single action

Red Hawk - Large frame, DA/SA

Vaquero - variation of the blackhawk with more traditional appearance

13. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

Even better.

14. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Modern medium frame, modern small frame, cowboy SA, cowboy DA, cowboy SA with different grip than Blackhawk.

15. imdaveg

imdaveg New Member

GP100 > SP101, Blackhawk, Redhawk, and Vaquero.

16. headhunter

headhunter Member

Why six? "cause we're all cowboys at heart! It may get empty quicker, but you can reload it sooner. So you can load one , skip one, load five. So you have an empty chamber for your "burying money"- I know a little small for that especially nowdays.
    Seriously, mine is the old style (no hammer block), when teaching firearms safety it allows me to teach the Skeeter Skeleton's load one "bean", skip one "bean", load four "beans", cock and lower onto the empty chamber-as most old sixguns operated including Colts.

17. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Single six is fine, but a little pricy. I've got a birdshead Heritage which was cheap, ($165) I bought for my wife because of it's appearance, cost, and it was the first gun she (we) every owned. She is an antique collector and that pistol has the right look. It was a Christmas present 10 years ago...fairly accurate for fixed sights, but they did need a bit of tweaking.

18. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I love my Single-Ten. I just use it for plinking and range shooting so I don't have any need for the Mag cylinder. I really like the FO sights, too. They work great for my aging eyes! :)

19. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

A single action .22 makes a good understudy for the larger caliber single actions. A large caliber single action makes sense as to frame strength, comfort of grip, and ease of extraction. One-at-a-time extraction eases the ejection of swollen cases which may be difficult with multiple extraction revolvers.

I have never really felt the need to fire double action.

Bob Wright

20. blindshooter

blindshooter New Member

The Ruger Security Six is a double action 357 magnum and the Ruger Vaquero is a single action 45 long colt.
    I've never fired either of these, they were my dad's and he had over 100 guns and that doesn't include the colt's that my mom gave him for Christmas every year for over 40 years.
    I'm not allowed to touch the colts and have to ask permission to look at them.
    My dad was barney google on here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013