Ruger reintroduces the Red Label shotgun.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by gvw3, Oct 25, 2013.

1. gvw3

gvw3 New Member

I have a 1998 model and love mine.

http://ruger.com/products/redLabel/index.html

Back and better than ever, the NEW Ruger® Red Label over-and-under shotgun represents American gunmaking at its finest. Known for years as a top choice of American hunters and clay shooters for its world-renowned rugged construction and handsome American styling - the Red Label returns. Newly redesigned, the shotgun now features refined inner workings, a new center of gravity and reduced recoil, making it lively in the hand and even more pleasurable to shoot. These improvements make the new Red Label shotgun the perfect choice for hunting upland game, waterfowling, sporting clays, skeet or even just informal clay target shooting with family. Built by American workers in American factories, the Ruger® Red Label shotgun is another 100% American-made product from Ruger.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i kind of liked the Ruger Red Label shotguns. they had a nice balance to them. they were also a very nice looking shotgun. nice to hear they are coming back.

i wonder why they discontinued them in the first place?

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

The first ones had lots of problems. Let's hope they fixed them this time around.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Beats me. It was (and is again?) the only US manufacturer of doubles. Best guess, they could not compete head to head with Browning without raising prices, and saw no point in subcontracting the Turks and the Brazilians. Funny thing, they were instantly recognizable for the slab side receivers with no engraving. It looked no-nonsense good. All imports had pheasants or duckies on them.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't think the Ruger red label shotguns were ever embraced by shooters. Personally, I have never seen a red label shotgun in the field. The red label has to become popular enough that most people have shot one before they will be a big seller. I know some people buy guns to be the first to have a certain gun or they have seen it in a movie. But most people can't afford to be first. They buy guns that have been in production for years that they have shot several times. Most of the time when I buy a new gun I borrow one from a friend for a couple weeks before I go buy the gun.

I just looked at the spec sheet for the new red label. They are all 12 ga shotguns. They are building a $1400 gun in only one gauge. I don't think the management at browning has even noticed the red label.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I would be very interested in trying one out. Its a bit out of my range budget-wise but I have always wanted an over-under and I do love Ruger.

7. gvw3

gvw3 New Member

I have one and can say it is a good shotgun. Mine was made in 1998 and still is tight. I like the fact that it is the only USA made over under. They will be coming out with a 20 gauge later this year.

If they make a trap model I will be selling my Browning BT-99 for one of these.

8. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I got the email about it earlier, I will probably start saving up for one soon. I might be able to save up enough by the end of winter.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I loved my 20 gauge when I had it. The wood was really nice and I did take it hunting.

10. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I know somebody that will just have to have one....:rolleyes:

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Looking at the website I can't say I like the way the forestock mates with the receiver on the bottom. The wood seems poorly fit as well. :(

Attached Files:

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Not to mention that is a walnut stock. It seems that Ruger could have found a gun that had better grain for their demo photo.

Really for the red label to take off on skeet ranges and sporting clay enthusiasts they need to make a 28 ga. Most matches in this area are shot with a 28 ga or a 410. If the matches were shot with a 12 ga they would go on until someone fell asleep.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Agreed on the wood quality. Now that I look at the pic I posted the mating between the mainstock and receiver looks a little loose too.

14. 1911love

1911love New Member

They were first introduced in '77 I think, only in 20ga. I really hope they also bring back the Gold Label. Same quality, but a side by side. American Rifleman TV just did a feature(I have this old gun) on them.

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Beretta and Browning got this market segment cornered. I don't think Ruger can beat Stoeger on value, or that Ruger will outclass Benelli and Browning doubles. It's only chance is Buy American. It may actually work.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

true. and with a MSRP of $1399, they need a more competitive price as well. going to be interesting to see what they end up selling for at the gun stores.

it's not a bad looking shotgun, but at that price, i just don't have a use for a high priced O/U shotgun as of now. and if i were to pony up that amount for one, i would probably look for an older Browning Citori.

17. 1911love

1911love New Member

My thoughts exactly for an over/under! I'd much rather pony up the cash for a used Citori rather than a new Red Label.

Anyone have any info on them re releasing the Gold Label?

18. RUT

RUT New Member Supporter

>>Really for the red label to take off on skeet ranges and sporting clay enthusiasts they need to make a 28 ga. Most matches in this area are shot with a 28 ga or a 410<<

I agree... they need to bring these things out in the "sub" gauges to be really successful.

19. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had mine since the late 80s 200+ rounds of medium trap loads a week till the mid 90s when I got married then maybe 100 rounds a month until my kid was born in '02. Sort of tapered off after that.

Never had a problem with it, and it fits me well.

20. IowaSteve

IowaSteve New Member

I fell in love with a Red Label 20 in the late 70's when someone raffled one off at the construction site I was working. I didn't win. It took until 2002 before I could afford one and I bought a new 12. I'm not the best shot but I got a double pheasant hunting on my first outing with it, first shots taken. It just pointed for me like no other gun I've hunted with. I wouldn't trade it for anything.