Ruger Redhawk or Blackhawk?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jcd390, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Looking to buy a .44 mag in the upcoming month but I am torn between purchasing the Blackhawk 7.5" or 10.5" or Redhawk 7.5" .44. I like the longer barrel models on Blackhawk models as well as the lower cost than the Redhawk. However, I like the fact that the Redhawks are double action. I plan on using the gun for hunting and shooting at the range. Any suggestions on which model and barrell lengths? All sugestions welcomed! Thanks :)

2. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

I have a Redhawk.
    Love It.
    Remember,
    You can shoot it Single Action by cocking the hammer.
    That's how I usually shoot mine.
    Which ever you get,
    enjoy.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've been pondering much the same. Except I am set on the 7.5" barrel. I'm leaning towards the Blackhawk due to cost and for hunting/target shooting the single action is more accurate. At least that is my experience with the .22 revolver that I own. Even though I'm in Illinois, I couldn't see using one as a carry piece which is where you would want/need the double action.

4. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

You m ight say I have a slight preference for the Super Blackhawk:

[​IMG]

But buy the gun that suits you best. As has been pointed out, the Redhawk can be fired single action, and should be for hunting. In the single action the Redhawk has slightly faster lock time than a Blackhawk, but unless you're a far better shot than I, you can't tell the difference. And I'm a good shot.

Bob Wright

5. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

LOl, you think????

I am leaning to the Super Blackhawk due to the cost. Any reason to go with the Redhawk besides it being double action?

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Redhawk is easier to load and unload.

7. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Good point, but I am trying to justify spending 150 more than the Blackhawk for the Redhawk. I really like the Redhawk but if I am going to shot the gun in single action 95% of the time I am not sure I can justify the additional cost. Too many decisions:eek:

8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Buy the Redhawk. Do it. -- Satan.

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

We really need to be able to like stuff on the app 'cause that is dang funny.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I recently bought the new model super blackhawk. Mine is the 7 1/2 inch. I really like it. I also have a S&W 629 in 4 inch. I like them both. But the blackhawk is obviously more acurate.

11. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  12. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  13. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I am partial to the single actions because I know it's difficult to tear a S/A up. Since you have your mind set on a longer barrel I would go with the S/A. Really, I would buy the best pistol you can afford. You won't live long enough to regret it.

14. Highhawk8

Highhawk8 New Member

Get the Blackhawk. Carryed a Blackhawk .357 for a long time and it was tough, and accurate. I like to .44 magnum but mine was a shorter barrel and I liked the longer barrel of the my .357.

15. LastRound

LastRound New Member

I have both and the Redhawk is more versatile. Hunting and Range? Either will suffice. Hiking, SD, HD? The Redhawk is the better choice.

So basically, the Redhawk will do everything the Blackhawk will do and more.

16. Colby

Colby New Member

But the single action only is the real old west...

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

For a hunting handgun get the red hawk or super red hawk with a 7.5" barrelas it is set up for a scope down the road. Plus the extra weight is nice for the hotter rounds that it can handle. You are buying a handgun to pass along to your children so make it count with a model that easier to shoot for anyone. A hog blasting buy at 5 feet or a deer that just appears under your stand as they tend to do may not allow for the trigger to be cocked. I started revolver hunted in 1976 and never wanted for a sa trigger.

18. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Given the choice id choose redhawk, because they are sa/da, whereas the blackhawk is sa only.

19. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

At this point, you really should buy them both.
    I have the New Model Super BlackHawk and love the trigger.
    Never had to reload it fast.

20. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Get the blackhawk it's way easier to carry. The redhawks are good guns but they're so damn heavy.