Ruger Redhawk in .357

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Bayou, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

Hi, Guys -

Do any of you out there happen to have a Ruger Redhawk in .357? If so, I'd sure like to hear your comments, both pro and con, as I'm thinking of going on a search for one of these. They have been out of production for quite some time, as we know.

Thanks, Guys!

Bayou

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd buy one in a heartbeat of they were available.

The one I had a chance to shoot many years ago was awesome. With standard LE loads, 125 grain Federal JHP ammo it felt like shooting a .22.

Trigger pull sucked the big one, but that's easy to fix.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

While I don't have any experience with .357 Redhawk, I am a HUGE Redhawk fan and have owned them for YEARS. I can share some tips/tricks to help yours shoot better, more accurate, slicker when you get 1. I LOVE my all time favorite revolver-Redhawk .41 mag that has sub 6# double action ice on glass smooth trigger, and of course several accuracy enhancements. They quit making the .357 Redhawks years ago, and admittedly it is pretty heavy platform for a .357, but they are bomb proof!

4. SavageGuy_

SavageGuy_ New Member

Redhawks are great guns and built like tanks. They're nice and heavy, too, so when you shoot light .38 handloads through it, you would swear it was a rimfire. I currently don't own one, I have the Blackhawk, also a great gun.

5. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

Stalking bear you should sell me that Redhawk 41 mag:D

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I would except for 1 minor small detail. That's my all time favorite revolver, I've killed truckloads of game with it, and it's the only handgun I've been able to resist letting my son talk me out of it! I'll keep it until I die & will it to him then! Years ago I was amazed when 1 of my hard cast hot loads went plumb through a mature bull elk in frontal chest, out through the butt to not be recovered at a paced off 109 yards! Iron sights at that!!! It's taken every head of game I've ever shot at with it. Oh yeah the best part, a very close friend gave it to me not long before he passed years ago! I'm sure he knew but nobody else knew. You can guess I'm kind of attached to it.

7. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Well you can always get a GP100 if you don't find a Redhawk!

8. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

Hi, sigman -

Since my original post, I've picked up a fine specimen of a Redhawk in 357 with a 7.5" tube. Very crisp and tight lock-up. In this snap, Chief Redhawk is sporting the Pachmayr grips. It's a pleasure to shoot, and lately, I've been shooting steel plates at 100 yards with it. I handload medium level 357s as per the Hornady manual.

[​IMG]

In this pic, the Redhawk has its original grips:

[​IMG]

Finally, Chief Redhawk is pictured with his little brother, the Security Six with a 6" tube also showing cylinder size comparison between the two::

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the Best -

Bayou

9. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Very nice pickup

10. crossfire

crossfire New Member

Since you are loading your own, give this a try. Get the 180gr Hornady XTP and seat it at the lower cannelure. Overall length will be +.121" and should come out at approx. 1.69"-1.70". Essentially you'll have a .360 Dan Wesson clone. Load data for the .360 DW can be found on the www.handloads.com website.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

:D:D And if you can't have the head cheer-leader, you can buy a hooker, but it just isn't the same...:D:D

12. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Hey as long as she still looks good it couldn't be that bad. Both are gonna hit your wallet regardless!