Firearms Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
6,502 Posts
How are you cleaning the barrel? I suspect it only copper jacket metal. These deposits usually occur along one groove. Cause shooting bullets that do not fill and up set in forcing cone and gas cuts.
You should be able to remove this with a copper solvent. No Ruger barrels do not have plating in the bore.:)

· Banned
6,502 Posts
Why would you not use Sweets? If you are not going to use a copper and lead solvent you are going to damage the forcing cone in time. And no the Old Hoppes #9 will not clean the jacket metal from a modern magnum. You should use a fiber bore brush and clean the barrel.

· Banned
6,502 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. The bullets you are shooting are not up setting with the load you are currently using. I would look at powder options such as W296 and H110 same powder different cans but great choice in the .44 Mag. My concern is the build up of copper in your forcing cone. Make sure you clean that area well with a brush. I would follow up with JB Non embedding bore cleaner to smooth the bore.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.