Ruger P95

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Bigcountry74, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Bigcountry74

Bigcountry74 New Member

I am looking to buy my first handgun. Been looking at the Ruger P95. Any feedback on them??

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

The Ruger P series guns are rock solid. I have a P89 and a buddy has a P95. Both are dependable shooters. By no means are they race guns, but I have enjoyed mine from the time I got it almost 20 years ago. Thousands of rounds and no problems that weren't the fault of underpowered reload ammo I shouldn't have bought. You won't go wrong if you get a P95 for your firts pistol. Good luck.

3. Bigcountry74

Bigcountry74 New Member

Thanks. I think the p95 is what im gonna go with. Much cheeper to shoot the 9mm that alot of calibers.

4. Jaydub7911

Jaydub7911 New Member

I've got the P95DC. Father in law has had it since '92, he gave it to me 3 years ago. The thing will shoot any ammo you throw at it and it is just fun to shoot. I have a stock 10 rnd mag, an extended 23 rnd mag and a ridiculous 35 rnd mag. It's super easy to field strip and clean. You will likely be very happy with this as your first pistol.

5. Bigcountry74

Bigcountry74 New Member

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Looking forward to getting one.

6. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

Friend of mine has a p95. Its a great shooter accurate and never jams. I carried it around in the door of my work truck for a while. Most you can ask of a cheap pistol. SHTF I would pick one up over a glock no problem. Great running gun IMHO.

7. Bigcountry74

Bigcountry74 New Member

Great! Im lookin forward to gettin one

8. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Love my P95, I have had it about 10 years. Great gun for the money, reliable, shoots well, easiest to strip and clean gun I own. It's a winner!

Dan

9. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Keep it clean. Me and a friend went to the range during a really bad dust storm and her p95 misfed or failed to fire almost every other round. My CZ and ruger LC9 never had a problem. I expect my pistols to work 100% of the time. A dust storm messing it up is not accepable.

10. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

This would be the only one that has ever happened that I've ever heard of. The one my friend had I don't think had ever been cleaned/lubed in 20 yrs of ownership. I took it from him to test fire it to make sure it still shot. 50 rds later without a hitch and accurate dirty too. I would pick one up w/o hesitation. Maybe his mag springs were weak that can cause more than a few ftf (failure to feed) problems regardless of make.

11. priell3

priell3 New Member

Lovin' my P95 that I bought last year. I had a friend shoot it too and now she wants one. It was her first time ever shooting and in no time she was killing an 8.5 x 11 inch target from 7 yards with confidence.

12. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

InDefenseofLiberty^We went back to the range today and I believe you are correct. She did have several failure to feeds again. When we pulled the mag out the next round in the mag would be jammed in about the position that the round below it should be in. Im not sure if she cleaned the mags out after that dust storm so that might be a factor. If she did Im gonna get her some new mags.

13. ThexDarkxCrow

ThexDarkxCrow New Member

My old man and I went hiking in the hills alot. He had his Ruger P95 and I had my Ruger 10/22. His P95 never had any jams or misfires (a serious issue if you had to rely on it to convince a mountain lion that you weren't an acceptable "lunch") and was sturdy without trading that for weight. I really am fond of the safeties available with it as well, such as the ability to carry with a round chambered. Recoil is very acceptable, as well as mag capacity (unless your in Cali *rolls eyes*). All in all I wholeheartedly endorse it.

14. kennyjames

kennyjames New Member

I had a lemon P95. Lots of jams. Slide was hitting barrel. Hated it. Sent it back for repair. New barrel and slide. No cost to me. Now shoots great.

15. Jeff290

Jeff290 New Member

The Ruger P95 thread is very timely for me. I'm also looking for a first handgun and have been recommended by several people that I can't go wrong with a P95 - especially for the price of $299 plus tax. A friend at work tells me the P95 is the gun he carries most. I like the fact that Ruger is American made and have heard that their customer service is awesome.