ruger P95 jamming

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by kyboy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. kyboy

kyboy New Member

I bought a ruger p95 that jams every third round. I am not limp wristing. This gun was cheap brand new. I paid only 398 for it. Id this just a cheap version of ruger. I knkw its big ugly and cheap but I figured it would at least be reliable. I put 50 rd of winchester brass through it and it jammed every 3 rd........this has really rurned me off to Ruger

Ruger said they would fix it but I will never be able to trust it.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Try some other ammo. Then let Ruger fix it. One it comes back shoot it until you are convinced it is fixed or if Rugef didn't fix it, then look at getting rid of it.

3. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I myself I have never had a problem with my P95! Anybody else who has shot it, has had jamming issues! I believe it to be limp wristing with the people shooting mine. I carried it for 2 years until I got my G35. I still bring it to the range to shoot it. I call it "old trusty".;)

4. blackxpress

blackxpress New Member

The P95 is not "a cheap version of Ruger." I don't own one myself but the P series has a very good reputation for reliability, as do Rugers in general. I'm guessing you got hold of some bad ammo and/or the gun was not properly lubricated. I wouldn't write Ruger off just yet. Make sure it's clean and well oiled, try some different ammo and see what happens. If it still gives you trouble call Ruger CS and go from there. I'm sure they don't want dissatisfied customers if they can help it.

5. kyboy

kyboy New Member

I have called them and their customer service was fantastic. He said mail it in and they will fix it free of charge...

I have shot different ammo through it and even let my buddy shoot it with no change. Even if fixed that will always be in the back if my mind and may never trust it..I know I know im whining but I think I may just trade it in... anyhow I did buy a glock 21 sf gen 3 last night !

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I would have looked at using some different ammo and maybe another mag before I sent it back. and definitely before I wrote it off.

Did you take it down and clean it and lube well before you took it out?

7. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Yes. I broke it down cleaned it dry and then pust small amounts of lube like I do all my weapons.. it was bizarre

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have had my P95 for probably about 4 or 5 years now. It has never failed to go bang. I don't even clean it as often as I should. I don't carry it. So I only clean it when it gets really dirty. But it still shoots even when dirty. I would let Ruger fix it. I would trust my life to mine.

9. GLOCK23LOVER4LIFE

GLOCK23LOVER4LIFE New Member

I bought a P95 in 1996 & I Never had a jam or any other issue with it. Great gun! Dependable & Reliable! I sold it a year ago & went with a Glock 23.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Firearms Talk mobile app

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Ruger has a better reputation than most of the industry. I would send the gun back for repair even if you hate the gun. How are you going to sell a jam o matic?

Once you get the P95 back run about 250 rounds of steel cased ammo through it. Steel case ammo will polish any areas of the gun the ammo case makes contact with.

11. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Trading it in at the local gun dealer.

12. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I own a P series myself, the P345, never had a problem with it since I've owned it, I've shot everything from Winchester White Box to Tula .45 through it, never a jam, in fact I just polished the Feed Ramp on it yesterday, runs even smoother than before.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Are you going to bring your own vaseline or are they going to provide a lubricant for you?

14. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Ill take a hit. Im not owning a pos gun. Ill get something better.

15. chu8deb6

chu8deb6 New Member

I have a P95DC and it is without a doubt one of the best weapons i have fired. I have put at least 900 or so rounds through it and never once has it ever jammed on me. Could it be a problem with your magazine?

16. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Thats what I was thinking but I have two and they both do it.

17. blackxpress

blackxpress New Member

You do what you want but the P95 is not "a pos gun." I don't believe Ruger makes "a pos gun." Unfortunately you got one with a defect. It happens. As long as Ruger made good on the warranty I wouldn't worry about it if it was mine. I'd take it to the range and put about 500 rounds of the cheapest ammo I could find through it. If it didn't malfunction I'd consider it fixed and move on through life. But that's just me.

18. Chestys1911

Chestys1911 New Member

Do you sell your car every time it needs a repair? Let Ruger fix it and then use it. They are good guns but everything mechanical does eventually fail

Sent from my DROID3 using Firearms Talk mobile app

19. kyboy

kyboy New Member

If I bought a brand new car off the line that had zero miles on it and the engine blew the first time I drove it then yes I would sell it and would also sue the hell out of whatever company it was. The gun is gone, traded it over the weekend. I llost 200 dollars on it but it was worth nothing more than a range gun to me at this point as I would have never trusted it. A guy at the store said it happened to his buddy with the same exact gun.

Needless to say I will never own another ruger unless its maybe a revolver.

20. kyboy

kyboy New Member

God...type into google p95 jamming and hit after hit and forum after forum pop up on this gun. Im happy with my decision. No wonder it was so cheap