Ruger P95 Jamming/Stovepipe issues

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jumusiq, Feb 3, 2013.

1. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

I just bought a brand new Ruger P95 semi pistol. I love it! I took it the range put 50 rounds of Winchester White Box full metal through no problems. Then I bought some magtech rounds and it starts jamming up. I told the guy at the counter thinking it may have been the ammo. He shot 40 rounds w no problem. The issue is I wasn't cocking the slide all the way back n releasing. The slide has to be released so that the force places the bullet in place correctly. I was riding the slide back down with my hand. Now no jamming!!!! Hope that helps with anyone having similar issues.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, I never ride slide down. I use slide release and let it flu one handed.

Also, your thumb ring looks like one of those bread slice spacers.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

To me, it depends on whether the metal piece is called a "slide release" or "slide stop".

If called a "slide stop", then I do not use it as a "slide release", I "slingshot" the slide forward.

4. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

Thx my ring is awesome! Lol .. Yea I'm new to shooting. I'm sure others make the same mistake. Thx for the info guys.

5. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I wouldn't say that the ring is awesome but the gun definitely is. Personal thing though.

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I assume you mean you pull back on slide, push down slide stop and let it go all in one quick motion, acting as a sort of slingshot move?

7. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

Lol! Yes the proper method is the the sling shot method. If not the bullets stovepipe and jam up.

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I used to have the P95 with the same issues-in mine it was the extractor claw,if it does it again you might need to pull it out and give it a tweak or bend so it bends inward just a millimeter or two more,I did this and it was fixed,and stayed fixed,I called Ruger and told them what I did and the gunsmith there told me that's exactly what he would have done too.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  9. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

Do I have to rove it or can I bend it a nudge while still in the gun?

10. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

Ok I nudged it. I plan on testing it out tomorrow .. If I can find some ammo!!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  11. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

I nudged the pin over a bit. It was still jamming. The guy at the range lubed it w oil and bam! Fire beautifully through 50 rounds! He said it was extremely dry. I'm going to clean it tonight for the first time and make sure I keep it lubed up! I'm so happy I dnt have to send it to Ruger for repairs.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Just be careful, dirty ammo with gunk it up and cause issues. Use very light lube!

13. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

Ok man thanks for the heads up. There's a lot more to shooting than I thought.

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Some guns prefer it dry, some not, but a general rule with lube is a little goes a long way.

15. kflo01

kflo01 New Member

I used to own the same gun. Am I the only one who thinks the gun looks bad ass. Other people say it is blocking and ugly. I loves mine. I got rid of it because I was having problems reaching the decocker with only my thumb

16. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

I love the way it looks dude

17. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I think your tractor's sexy! (Substitute gun for operative noun.)

Was that just a little bit creepy to anyone else? I'm leaving it! Lol

Seriously though, she's a beaut man! Serious scraper I'd say!

18. lucznik

lucznik New Member

Another option is to use a dry lube. Remington makes a good one.