Ruger P95 FTE's

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ninjatoth, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Previous to today,I only had 200 rounds through my P95,so I decided to buy a 100 pack of winchester whitebox to get practicing.I went through 2 mags(30 rounds)flawlessly,but after that,I got 5 FTE's throughout the rest of the box.I don't know if it is the ammo,or something more serious.The chamber was black after the first 2 mags,so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.I took the gun down tonight and seriously cleaned everything,even the mags and polished my ammo before I loaded it back up.I seem to be the only one having problems like this with a P95.

2. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

The white box ammo is dirty stuff to fire. Mine doesn't like that or federal walmart stuff. I've been using the aluminum cased 115 grain blazer ammo with no problems yet.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It should take a BUNCH of dirty ammo to fould up that pistol badly enough to cause FTE problems. Check the extractor for problems, the "hook" may be partially broken or the spring may be dead or gone. These guns are generally very reliable so this is unusual unless there is something very wrong (broken)

4. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

See that's y I joined this place. Smart guys that look out for us newbies lol.

5. OklahomaRuger

OklahomaRuger New Member

Strange. My wifes P95 has been 100% reliable since day one. Several hundred rounds of the white box stuff, range reloads and some russian stuff.

Hopefully you just got a bad lot of ammo and nothing more. A little dirty ammunition should not be enough to cause that gun any problems.

I would be interested to know what the problem turns out to be on your gun.

6. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

Broken can-noodler spring on the skibbly plate!

7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I know nothing about guns,but I did look it over and nothing appears to be missing or broken.The hook is still there and looks good.I just don't understand why 95% of the Winchester's ejected fine,but it is even stranger how the gun has never done this with any other ammo before.I will probably find a gunsmith to look at it soon,I don't want to send it to Ruger,but I will if I have to.

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I just took a look at the hook in better light and it does look kind of funky.The top of the hook is sharp and catches under my nail as I run my finger across it,but the bottom of the hook is kind of rounded and does not catch my nail.I bet money that this is the problem.

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

Ding, ding, ding! I think we have a winner!

If you bought the gun new, I'm certain Ruger will replace the extractor. Even if you bought it used, they might still replace it.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have heard nothing bad about Ruger customer service. I bet they will take care of you.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Is there a problem with some of the responses given to the OP....other than yours?

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Maybe i'm losing my mind or I need to take a training class.I took the gun to the dealer who sold it to me today and he looked it over and said that the ejector rod & hook look just fine,and that I am probably limp wristing it,he says a limp wrist will cause a FTE.I guess that I thought limp wristing caused stovepipes,not FTE's.I never had a FTE until I used Winchester ammo.Maybe the Winchester has more power than the other brands I was using causing more recoil and a limpwrist?maybe?I don't know,but I trust the guy in telling me the gun is fine,that's what I wanted to hear.He offered for me to come back to the shop tomorrow and he will take me out back and show me how to shoot right.I know I better figure out how to not limp wrist before I start loading my gun with Corbon +P,or I might have a bad day the day I ever need my gun.I did notice he had a new Mossberg 500 for $369 in his shop that caught my eye.Maybe I would be better off with that than being a noob with a pistol.

13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

The gun dealer is set on the fact that i'm limp wristing,and that my limp wristing is causing the Failure's to eject.I went out with 50 rounds of Federal FMJ today and on the 2nd shot,it FTEd,then it did it again on the 3rd shot.I then made my wrists as stiff as I could,and began to pull the muzzle down as soon as the muzzle begins to recoil,and I went through the remaining 47 rounds with no more FTE's.Do I really need to stiffen my wrists this much?They hurt now.To make matters more confusing,my friend just told me that his Beretta would FTE,and that he took it to a gunsmith,and the gunsmith cleaned the magazine and it stopped FTEing.

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Simple, have somebody else with more experience shoot your gun with the same ammo...

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My P95 has never given me trouble. I have no doubt that I have limp wristed it a few times. But it has never caused it to FTE. This may be a stupid question. Please don't be offended. But, have you cleaned your gun really good? Sometimes a little grime between the frame and the slide will stop the gun from cycling properly.

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I agree with NGIB in letting someone with experience shoot it and see what happens. Knowing your condition, I suspect that when you clean it, you really clean it. :)

Also, get some hand exercisers and use them. Easy to do when just sitting and watching the tube. That will help in wrist strength.

17. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I spend too much time cleaning it.I really think it's the combination of the gun,the ammo and my experience.I did some googling and seen some videos of intentional limp wristing to test guns,and the heavier all metal guns didn't have a problem,but once they pulled out the Glock,it FTE'd every shot with an intentional limp wrist.The P95 is polymer also,so I suspect I just need to get a better grip.It's funny how the first 3 round I shot last night,I wasn't thinking about the grip and got 2 FTEs,then I squeezed the gun like I was chocking someone and the gun never FTEd the rest of the box of ammo.

18. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Just to clear things up,when I say FTE I am reffering to a failure to extract,no eject.I get virtually no stovepipes.

19. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

does my claw look alright?It almost looks round at one end,but I don't know if that's normal,or would cause a problem.I wouldn't think that the claw hooks from the top or bottom,but from the center of the claw.But I don't have any idea,I don't know much about guns.

Attached Files:

20. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

does my claw look alright?It almost looks round at one end,but I don't know if that's normal,or would cause a problem.I wouldn't think that the claw hooks from the top or bottom,but from the center of the claw.But I don't have any idea,I don't know much about guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.