Firearms Talk banner

Ruger P345

10K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  stalkingbear 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the gun world. Just bought a Ruger P345. Have yet to fire it, I plan on hitting the range sometime next week, and getting a permit to carry.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this model?

Can anyone recommend a good holster to help conceal it as well?

#3 ·
I have one and really like it, but I don't have a good holster. Mine gets carried in a universal type belt slide when I carry it. One caution, don't dry fire it with the magazine removed as it will cause damage to the gun. There is a lot of talk about this over on the ruger forum. Might want to check there.

#4 ·
I have one and really like it, but I don't have a good holster. Mine gets carried in a universal type belt slide when I carry it. One caution, don't dry fire it with the magazine removed as it will cause damage to the gun. There is a lot of talk about this over on the ruger forum. Might want to check there.
What kind of damage are we talking about? This is the way I have let the hammer down many a time after cleaning ect. I thought this rule only applied to rimfires.

#6 ·
There are several different designs that will prevent a pistol from firing unless a magazine is in place. Some companies use a trigger or sear disconnect design where pulling the trigger doesn't allow the hammer or striker to go forward. Ruger chose to use a firing pin / striker interrupt device where the pistol works like normal with or without a magazine and they depend on an interrupt plunger to block the firing pin / striker from moving forward to detonate the primer.

With Ruger's design, the firing pin or striker hits the interrupt plunger with considerable force (enough to detonate a primer). Repeated dry firing deforms both the firing pin and the interrupt plunger until one or both are peened so much they impede striker/firing pin movement. Once movement is restricted, you will get light or no primer hits resulting in misfires.

Ruger's very poor design is the only one I know of that will damage the pistol if dry fired without a magazine.

I got this off the Ruger Forum. Didn't know about it until people started complaining about the new Ruger striker fired 9mm which has the same type magazine safety. I normally don't dry fire any of mine with the mag out, but that is just me.

#7 ·
I use a soft inside pant holster and it seems to work just fine, the only problem I have is that the holster collapses so it takes a second to work it back into it after drawing, but that's just minor problem. As far as the weapon itself, I love it. I don't really have much to say except a problem with dropping the mag. I watched some of the tomasie videos on fast reloading and saw one that he teaches the technique (which actually looks like common sense after i saw it, lol ) and tried it with my ruger and thats where i found the problem. The mag release will drop the mag about a 1/4 inch, but the mag still fits tight so you have to physically pull it out, making fast reloading a bit of a problem. So far, this is the only issue I have found. In fact, if there's some trick to fixing that issue, I hope someone will let me know. i wanted to use this gun in IPSC, but that doesn't seem possible if I can't swap mags quickly.

#8 ·
I have a LOT of experience with the Ruger P90, but none with the P345. I'd say it shouldn't be too hard to remove the magazine disconnect safety. I just did this on my nephew's Mk3 22/45. I realize they're vastly different but your local gunsmith will be able to do it np. Personally, I CANNOT stand magazine disconnect safetys. From everybody I've talked to that has the P345s,they like them.

#10 · (Edited)
I have owned a 345 since they first came out. I own about a zillion other guns also---but my point is that the 345 is accurate,soft shooting(absorbs recoil),will cycle most anything you can stuff in the mag.,and is easy to conceal--I use Don Hume belt holsters for CCW.
I can say NOTHING bad about this pistol. I've never had any type of failure to feed or jam of any description. They say that CZ makes the "perfect" pistol; well I would think that they may have to share that distinction with Ruger's 345 . Personal feelings----I dislike the mag. disc.,but Ruger is so good with customer service,I choose to ignore the issue. I never have lost my magazine in combat conditions.....I am U.S.M.C. retired ! There may be a first for everything,but,past results also predict future occurrences.
The mag. disconnect poses no threat ---unless you wind up in court without it ! :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.