Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So, did you find and procure one yet, or are you still looking?

I have shot a few owned by friends over the years, a couple P85s, several P90s, and a couple P95s, but never picked one up myself, as most of the people I know with one don't want to part with it. Solved that problem, by sheer luck, yesterday. Had a guy walk in with one he was looking to sell at one of the shops I frequent, who wasn't happy with the offer the owner gave him. As he was about to pack it back up, and leave, i asked to take a look at it.

That led to me buying a box of FMJ, and paying for a half hour range fee, to try before it out I decided. It ran perfectly, so I shot him an offer between what he was asking, and what was offered, accounting for the $20 transfer fee I would have on my end.

He took the offer. My new to me, P95DC

View attachment 209792
Very nice, should be a good shooter.

No, I haven't gotten one yet. I ended up going a different route for now, but I'd still like to get one if the wonderful state gov of Va decides I still can.

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,406 Posts
So, did you find and procure one yet, or are you still looking?

I have shot a few owned by friends over the years, a couple P85s, several P90s, and a couple P95s, but never picked one up myself, as most of the people I know with one don't want to part with it. Solved that problem, by sheer luck, yesterday. Had a guy walk in with one he was looking to sell at one of the shops I frequent, who wasn't happy with the offer the owner gave him. As he was about to pack it back up, and leave, i asked to take a look at it.

That led to me buying a box of FMJ, and paying for a half hour range fee, to try before it out I decided. It ran perfectly, so I shot him an offer between what he was asking, and what was offered, accounting for the $20 transfer fee I would have on my end.

He took the offer. My new to me, P95DC

View attachment 209792
I bought two of the P95DC Stainless ones. One for wife and one for myself when they first hit the market. They turned out to be consecutive serial numbers also. Sweet! Still have both and have never regretted it. Built like a Tank, but very, very accurate and never any failure of any kind.

Too large for us to CC, but great for OC. I ALWAYS use mine to qualify with. Always.
Both of these are always loaded with a 15rd magazine and are our go HD pistols.

·
Premium Member
11,602 Posts
Very nice, should be a good shooter.

No, I haven't gotten one yet. I ended up going a different route for now, but I'd still like to get one if the wonderful state gov of Va decides I still can.
It is.That's why I bought a box of cheap 115 grain, and got a box of 124 grain out of the truck, to try it out on the rabnge before I made my offer. No FTF, FTE, or other chokes, and it shot better than I can. Ordered a pair of 15 rounders when i got home, as it is a 313 prefix, placing it right in the last part of the CAWB, so all it had was a pair of 10s when I bought it. All in, a touch over $300 counting ammo and mags.

My LGS has a P95 Lightly used in now for 275.00 OTD. Very tempting. But im trying not to dip into my new vehicle find to much. I already have a 10/22 on my list.
Yep, know that feeling well.

On a side note, it does show why I don't buy here in the city that often, perfectly. The same pistol here, in Erie, add about $100 to the price, OTD. Hence why I drive 20 minutes to an hour south, to do my buying usually.

I've always wanted 1 or 2.
My brother had a couple. He really liked them. When he died last year, all that was found was that crappy Jennings.
That sucks. And it's less about the pistols, as it would have been who had them before you. Have a couple things here like that, including a beat up old denim Harley Davidson jacket, that came from a road brother lost years ago. I could replace the jacket, but I can't replace the memories of him helping me through some pretty hard times in my life, and standing by me through the good and the bad.

I bought two of the P95DC Stainless ones. One for wife and one for myself when they first hit the market. They turned out to be consecutive serial numbers also. Sweet! Still have both and have never regretted it. Built like a Tank, but very, very accurate and never any failure of any kind.

Too large for us to CC, but great for OC. I ALWAYS use mine to qualify with. Always.
Both of these are always loaded with a 15rd magazine and are our go HD pistols.
Cool/. saw the earlier post, about how you wound up with them. At that price, I would have gone for the pair as well, and the sequential SN, that was one hell of an amazing stroke of luck.

as I posted above, it's more accurate than I was capable of two nights ago (was having an off day, with my neurapathy acting up again in the right hand), but even with cheap Winchester white box FMJ, and surplus 124 grain NATO, it was grouping under 2 inches, off hand, on the 25 yard indoor range at my friend's shop. And it wasn't just that one,I was of with, as my Springfield EMP, and the 92FS I took with were also giving "sub par" results in my hands, and pretty much one hole groups, for dad and my wife. Same with the Ruger.

It was because of her liking it, and shooting it well, that I made the offer I did, and picked it up.

·
Premium Member
11,602 Posts
What I also found interesting, from many years ago, looking up information on the Ruger P series, due to eventually wanting to buy one, was that the P85 was part of the military's M10 testing (Which the M9 won BTW, and as it was aready adopted as the M9, the name stuck), in 1988, and apparently did well in the tests. Not top of the class by any means, but not that far from the front of it either.

As a result, which I knew before hitting the firing line with mine, it will handle +p and NATO standard 124 grain ammo, as will the rest of the P Series pistols.

I also remembered an article on the P85 in an old American Rifleman issue from around the time of the M10 testing, on the tests Ruger put the pistols through before sending 30 of them to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland. One of which invluded cutting off part of the sldie below the ejection port, firing 5,000 rounds through it, checking it every 500 to 1,000 rounds for cracks and other damage, which the slide survived with the front and rear sections of the RH side not connected. They also took a smooth barrel, threaded the inside of it, screwed in a bolt, loaded it, and fired a round off with the obstruction in place. All it got was some flame cutting on the frame, and a bulge, even with the bolt stopping the bullet, in the barrel (The picture in the article shows the bullet stopped inside the barrel, behind the threads.)

I'll take the magazine to the shop one of these days, scan it into the computer, and post it for your enjoyment. Just thought it was pretty interesting was all, and it was part of the reason I started looking for one of these ugly ducklings. In the meantime, here's a video that covers the series, and has parts of the article in it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a P95 DC from 1995 or 96 or there abouts. It's in like new condition with less than 500 rounds through it. I don't shoot it much but I did take it out to the range a while back. It shot great in single action. No issues. But when I'd de-cock it and then try to shoot it double action, I'd consistently get light primer strikes.

I'm assuming I need to replace the hammer spring but if the hammer spring is weak, why does it still shoot ok in single action?

Anybody else experience this? Any ideas?

·
Banned
5,601 Posts
I have a P95 DC from 1995 or 96 or there abouts. It's in like new condition with less than 500 rounds through it. I don't shoot it much but I did take it out to the range a while back. It shot great in single action. No issues. But when I'd de-cock it and then try to shoot it double action, I'd consistently get light primer strikes.

I'm assuming I need to replace the hammer spring but if the hammer spring is weak, why does it still shoot ok in single action?

The hammer doesn't go as far back when fired double action as it does when it's cocked into single action mode.

·
Premium Member
11,602 Posts

The hammer doesn't go as far back when fired double action as it does when it's cocked into single action mode.
Pretty much what I was thinking as well. If someone were to take a single action centerfire revolver, and modify it to drop the hammer from half cock, I figure the same pattern would emerge. Force = Mass X Velocity, so the shorter swing of the trigger on DA is going to strike softer than one in single action, where it is locked further back, before the connection is broken, sending it forward.

·
Banned
5,601 Posts
Pretty much what I was thinking as well. If someone were to take a single action centerfire revolver, and modify it to drop the hammer from half cock, I figure the same pattern would emerge. Force = Mass X Velocity, so the shorter swing of the trigger on DA is going to strike softer than one in single action, where it is locked further back, before the connection is broken, sending it forward.
This actually happens quite often with double action revolvers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been wanting to restore my P series collection. I found a nice P89 and a kind of rough P94 in 9mm. I was also lucky enough to find 2, new in the box, Ruger 15rd stainless mags in a local pawn shop. Both pistols need a lot of cleaning, especially the 94. Then, I need to get them out to a range and get them dirty again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This all depends, IMHO, on a couple things. First, if you don't mind the weight of a well made, slightly overbuilt pistol which was designed to handle heavy loads, and soak up abuse. Second, if you like low profile combat sights. Ruger Ps were service pistols, for many
police departments, and they take wear and tear well. They aren't as light as S&W GEN IIs and GEN IIIs, but you're quibbling over a few ounces.

At the prices you see them for, these days, IMO, well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,406 Posts
I want to get some 124gr NATO for it, have you tried that yet?
YES I HAVE!!!! Great ammo in all our 9mm pistols and carbines.

Now, be very careful which you buy. Winchester markets 2 of them in 124gr labeled Nato..

The stuff made in their Mississippi plant is NATO stuff. All their Nato ammunition comes from there. The boxes that have the PN "Q4318" printed just above the bar code is the one you want. If you need a source, let me know.

Most of my stash is this stuff.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts