Ruger or S&W

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by potentialglock, Sep 10, 2012.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

So I'm debating between the ruger SR40 and the M&P40. Also im on the fence about 9mm or. 40 Cal. The trigger feels great on the SR but the grip feels better on the M&P. Any opinions on which gun to go with or which caliber?

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Go with the M&P9C (unless you want the full size) as you said better ergonomics and with the apex kit you can fix the trigger, you can't fix how the Ruger feels though and 9mm because it's cheaper to shoot.

3. potentialglock

How much does an apex kit cost?

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

$90 from Apex, you may find them cheaper if you shop around though.

5. superglide

superglide New Member

Go with the .40. More knock down power

6. potentialglock

You're gonna have to give me a better reason than that. 9mm will be sufficient for what I want and its cheaper. Is there a potential for higher accuracy or anything like that?

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Just had two self defense shootings that killed the perp with.22LR I think 9mm will suffice.

8. potentialglock

You personally had two self defense shootings? Dude you need to move to a new neighborhood

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

No in the news...lol

10. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

9mm is the way to go. I like the sr9 sr9c as well, but yhe m&p r great too. Its all about how it feels in ur hand. But 9mm is cheaper @ $10 bucks a box how can u go wrong plus extra rounds in da mag.

11. potentialglock

What's the powder difference between 9mm and. 40 Cal?

12. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

I prefer the 40cal.

Here's some info on your question.

The 40 caliber is really a 10mm round that has been shortanded and loaded to reduce the energy. The FBI, who requested this, wanted a more powerfull round that could be put in a handgun with a large ammo capacity. The 10mm had too much recoil for some of the small agents and they reduced recoil by lowering the energy and the .40 caliber was born.

The 40 caliber is a larger, heavier round that moves (depending on the brand) almost exactly the same velocity as the 9mm Luger (about 1100 feet per second). The 40 has a heavier bullet (from 155 to 180 grain) vs the 9mm (from 115 to 147 grains). This gives the 40 caliber more energy (361-479 ft-lbs) vs the 9mm ( 310 to 341 ft-lbs).

The 40 caliber also has a greater efficiency in that it's larger diameter is better at transferring energy. This assumes that you are using the same bullet type. A 9mm hollow point will out perform a .40 caliber FMJ bullet. Hollow points are much more efficient at transferring energy.
    So the 40 caliber is the winner in stopping power. Here is a link that shows you the ballistic tables for most common rounds. http://www.hornady.com/images/ballistics…

13. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

Seriously. I hate the "knock down power" type statements. 9 mill will do just fine. Don't get a 40 thinking it has all this stopping power compared to a 9mm because that is false and irrelevant. I'd personally rather do more damage than knock them down, otherwise you might as well use bean bag shotguns....

Maybe this will help change your opinion on "smaller" rounds. Velocity is a key factor to the overall extent of GSW injuries. According to the kinetic energy equation: (kinetic energy = mass/ 2 x velocity squared) Doubling the mass doubles the energy, however doubling the velocity actually quadruples the energy. Therefore a small-caliber bullet traveling at high speed can produce a more extensive injury than a larger caliber bullet traveling at a lower speed.

With the proper round, you will definitely stop them in their tracks with a 9 banger.

14. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

All this talk about "knock down power" gets old. Find what you can shoot and shoot well. Something that you are comfortable with, something that you are going to carry daily.

As for getting a Ruger or S&W, they are both great handguns. You could not go wrong with either one. I have not had the chance to shoot either one but for me they both felt good in my hand. Personally I like a Sig or XD but that is my choice.