Ruger or S&W wheelgun

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Kimber45, May 14, 2010.

1. Kimber45

Kimber45 New Member

Smith & Wesson Model 29 or Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. Which you you choose and why?

2. freefall

freefall New Member

I love Rugers. I think they're solid and give good value for the $. If I were facing this choice I would buy the Smith in a minute. Reason? I find the Redhawk to be a heavy, clunky, graceless piece of iron. And don't even get me started on Super Redhawks. Yes, I'm sure a Redhawk will outlast a Smith, but I think a new Smith will outlast me. Back in the late 70s, 80s, Smith was having some quality issues and would soon shoot out of time with heavy loads. A believe they rectified that situation in the late 80s, early 90s and as far as I know that situation hasn't re-reared it's ugly head. The 629 is a graceful and elegant firearm. Nice to look at, lovely to hold. I myself am well content with my Ruger Bisley. Not beautiful, not elegant, slightly lighter than a Redhawk, comfortable and accurate.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Unless you're planning on dragging it through the swamps or dropping it off a mountain, get the 29. It is just one of the all time classic revolver designs.

Then you can stand in the mirror and practice your "I know what your thinking..." speech. ;)

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm sorry but that's like asking Ford or Chevy. Personally I like S&W but I own a Ruger and regularly shoot my dad's. I like the Smith looks, fit and finish, trigger and to me they just feel nicer in my hand. Both companies make a great gun.
    Ruger is known to be a little tougher and Smith usually has a better trigger. For what it's worth, I wouldn't trade my 629.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, I own both and concur to what he said. :cool:

Jack

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Both are outstanding revolvers. Get them both. ;)

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

An old shooter I know used the analogy of the Smith being a fine sports car and the Ruger being a Dodge Ram pick-up. Both have their strong points and both have certain attributes that make them unique.

Any Smith is just simply a pleasure to shoot, accurate as hell and beautiful as can possibly be.

The Ruger Redhawk is a solid tank, up to any grueling task and extremely reliable.

Both guns are magnificent in their own ways. Both guns are also very good shooters. I tend to use my Rugers more, because it doesn't ruin my day when they come down with a scratch or two. My Smiths get shot almost as much as the Rugers, but don't get carried as much.

Do yourself a favor and GET BOTH! :)

8. WDB

WDB New Member

I'm S&W when it comes to revolvers, then again my next purchase will be a Ruger LCR. Different tools for different jobs. Two great options got to love the country we live in where this is such a tough choice!

9. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

S & W has a better trigger pull. Ruger can handle higher power. S & W has a higher re-sale value. Rugers are well made, S&W's are well made.

I couldn't decide, so I bought both. End of problem.

"IF" I was desperate for money and I had to sell of one of my (many) 44's... I think I'd have to sell a... KIDNEY first!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  10. freefall

freefall New Member

What are the stocks on you Bisley made of?

11. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

I my self have to go with the smith. Simply because IMHO they look a lot sleeker and more ergonomic than the ruger. Sure if you like that old cowboy toten side iron style go with the ruger but if you're like me and you wanna be a Dirty Harry Tackleberry toten hand cannon kind guy then get the smith:D

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

micarta...

13. freefall

freefall New Member

Thanks. Thought maybe buffalo horn.

14. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

29 or Ruger???

Shoot Both of Them,
    before you decide.
    A friend from work bought a 29,
    I bought the Redhawk.
    44mag.
    We took them up to the hills to shoot
    and of course,
    here try mine.
    we each had fired about half a box,
    so we were used to firing full magnum loads.
    I fired one shot from the 29.
    The trigger guard hit my second finger,
    DAMN, :eek:
    thought it was broke.
    hurt, wow.
    bruised for and sore for several days.

OK,
    not a fault of the gun,
    just my fat hand. :(

So I stress,

Fire the gun before you buy.

And good luck with your new toy. :D

15. WVwheelgunner

WVwheelgunner New Member

My wife bought me this Redhawk off Gunbroker for cheap:
    [​IMG]
    And this is my S&W 629 no dash:
    [​IMG]
    I won't even shoot full bore .44's outta my Smith. I've had two Model 29s go out of time so badly the cylinders froze solid. I consider the 29/629 a 44 Special, but a lotta guys get mad at me for saying that :rolleyes:
    I use the Redhawk for max power .44 mags, but the single action trigger - the one you use for hunting - is terrible, full of creep and gritty.

Nutshell - I guess I'd buy a Redhawk, and have a gunsmith smooth the trigger if I wanted a hunting sidearm. For target or self defense, I'd get a Smith.

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

My wife shoots a Ruger so well it scares me. I still love the feel of a Smith. If you could pick one of us to shoot at you, who would it be? Again, it's Ford vs Chevy.

17. WVwheelgunner

WVwheelgunner New Member

My wife qualified for her CCW with this Service Six:
    [​IMG]
    She shot such tight groups she scared her instructor, who kept saying, "Please don't ever shoot at me..." :p
    I need to admit, this gun's trigger has been smoothed (but not lightened) by our 'smith.
    I did a trigger job on my mom's Service Six (identical to the one shown) about 20 years ago, and it is both lighter AND smother than most Smiths I've fired.

18. Viking

Viking Active Member

There's a couple of reasons I went for a Redhawk. The first one was that the 4" S&W 29 I bought, which looked like it had only been factory fired, was so horribly out of time that bullets went sideways through the barrel (I still wonder what kind of pressures that caused). The second reason was the result of a test that a gun magazine did when the S&W 629 and the Redhawk stainless steel were in their earliest production, the magazine stripped both to just their frame/barrel and dropped them into the mud in a pond, don't remember how long but it seems like it was a month at least. Anyway the S&W came out worse than the Ruger with deep pitting due to the acids in the mud. Now I know that 99% of gun owners probably wouldn't come close to putting their weapons trough something even close to that but I've hunted in some of the rottenest weather were I and my weapons were soaked to the inner most parts and because of that I wanted a weapon that could stand up to the worst situations and the Redhawk fit that standard.

19. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I guess I'm going to be different and state that I like Redhawks a lot better than S&W 29/629. I really don't understand why everyone says the trigger on S&W is so much better. It's true the S&W SA trigger is better out of box but a good smith can easily change that on the Ruger. In MY opinion the Ruger Redhawk has a smoother & lighter DA trigger than the S&W-especially after you slick it up. Of course I do all my own action jobs but it's pretty simple to slick up a Ruger Redhawk.