Ruger New Vaquero?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by DiabloMan, Mar 12, 2013.

1. DiabloMan

DiabloMan New Member

I had an unusual occurrence. I recently bought a Ruger New Vaquero, in 357 mag. The day I got it, it was snowing so bad I couldn't shoot it right away. I took it down and cleaned it so it was ready when the weather was. I dry fired it only a few times. When I did go to shoot my NV, the hammer stopped at half way! I got it to shoot 5 times out of 36 times with the same factory, Federal 158 gr, JHP. WTH! I called Ruger, they said it was a burr, and to disassemble and check for burrs. Ruger would send a new hammer. After thinking, I said it wasn't my job to fix your problem with my gun. They then gave me an RMA and shipping instructions! WTH! Anyone ever had trouble like this? I'm going to trade it for a Blackhawk. Any Takers? BHK!

2. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Ya that sounds like alot of BS to me.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

It happens, give them a chance to fix it.

4. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

For my *0th b-day (nonya business exactly how old I am)... my beautiful wife got me matching SS Vaqueros in 45 colt, consecutive serial #'s.... One operated fine... the other (after running about 25-30 rounds through it) had problems cycling the cylinder to the next round. Called Ruger... they gave me an RGA (return goods authorization) ... fixed it within a week and sent it back Fed-Ex (had to go sign for it and pick it up at the local depot... no biggie) but they stood by their product. They also gave me a quick fix over the phone when I had a problem with my P95 semi. In this day and age of everyone giving you grief... Ruger is the exception. Give them a chance and they'll make it right.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Any manufacturer regardless of how good a record they have can have an occasional issue. It is how they deal with it that counts. Shows their quality and true colors regarding customer service. Pleasing the customer is the most important issue for a good company. Gator and NC are right! Give them a chance to fix it. Chances are it will be under more scrutiny and a magnifying glass during the repair and better than the normal production gun when it is returned. I had a finish issue with a new S&W Model 27, 357 Mag. I sent it back to S&W to be repaired. They sent it back with the most beautiful deep blue finish I had ever seen on any S&W. It was almost Black and looked an inch deep! So give them a chance to make yours right. You probably will not be sorry!

6. DiabloMan

DiabloMan New Member

Thanks guys. I have over 10 ruger's and have never had one problem in 35 years or more. It has been a week today. The Blackhawk Kid

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Been a week since what :confused:

8. DiabloMan

DiabloMan New Member

It's been 10 days since I sent the NV back to Ruger.

9. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Give a little time. They may be swamped like every other gun, accessory and ammo manufacturer right now. Be :cool:... They'll make it right.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Oh, won't be long now :)

11. Buskowski

Buskowski New Member

I bought a new SP101 last week and I was dry fire testing it and I discovered that when I pulled the hammer back and then pulled the trigger, it wouldn't reset the trigger after the hammer fell without some encouragement. I googled it and a lot of people with the same problem said it was burrs from the machining of the parts and to just use light sandpaper to smooth them out. No thanks, I sent it back to Ruger. They sold me a defective gun, they can fix it.

12. DiabloMan

DiabloMan New Member

Update! Ruger called me about my NV I sent back. They offered me a replacement firearm! Cool! I opted for a New Blackhawk, blue, 4 5/8, in 357 mag. I have to pick it up at my local GS. Also, just getting my dillon Square Deal B ordered(41 mag & 357 mag). Now all I need is WARM weather, and time to reload! The Blackhawk Kid

13. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

Not bad, not bad at all.

14. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Told ya good ole' Ruger would make it right. ;) Enjoy the new shooter man.

15. DiabloMan

DiabloMan New Member

Hey guys here's an update on my new vaquero I sent back to Ruger. I got the replacement today. Ruger sent me a SS, New Model Blackhawk in 357 mag. I cleaned it and shot it. It's accurate, and when I get my loader fired up my handloads will shoot even better.

16. DiabloMan

DiabloMan New Member

Here's an update, I sent my New Vaquero back to Ruger. They called about a week later and offered me a new gun. I aksed if I could get a blue, 4 5/8 blackhawk in 357. 2 weeks my LGS called and had a gun for me. When I opened the box there was a Stainless Steel Blackhawk. Ruger is still #1, IMHO!

17. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Ruger has CS reps on the phone but it can be an exercise in patience to get ahold of one. Very willing to give advice and repair parts - will send for your gun if under warantee or if there is a recall.

Personally, I prefer sights that don't have to be filed or barrels bent to shoot where they are aiming.

Yet, once the POA/POI is worked out - it can be a beautiful thing. Those Cowboy Action folks are pretty impressive.