Firearms Talk banner

Ruger New Vaquero???

16K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Snubshooter 
#1 ·
hey, i just wanted some opinons on the Ruger New Vaquero SA Revolver... im thinking about getting the 5.5" barrel... havnt decided what finish to get... anyone shot them??? whats a good caliber to get??? .357??? .45??? the largest caliber ive shot is a .38 special... but im not afraid of a little recoil though... any advice or recomindations would be great... im not trying to have to spend over $650 but i want a Single Action Revolver... thanks:)

#2 · (Edited)
I would suggest you buy it in 45 Colt. For one it is lighter than any other caliber because they are all the same frame and the 45 cal holes are bigger than 357/38 holes meaning less metal. Standard "cowboy" loads are fairly light and recoil should not be a factor. Also I would get either a 4 3/4" or a 7 1/2. The 5 1/2" while nothing wrong with it doesn't seem to be as popular as the other two. That is just my opinion and the reasoning for it. I might also suggest that you look to Uberti instead of Ruger. The Ruger is a much stronger gun and the Uberti is an 1873 design, but they are just cool. If you look around you could buy the Uberti/Navy arms for about $300.00. I have 5 different variants of them and never had a problem. You might go to Guns America or Gun Broker and take a look.

#3 ·
I have to take the oppisite side. I'm FIRMLY in favor of ruger single action revolvers and own several. The ruger is stronger,has transfer bar safety where you can SAFELY carry 6 rounds instead of 5 in the uberti,is american made. My nephew has a blackhawk with 4 5/8 barrel in .45lc. it balances well but is less steady to aim compared with a longer barrel. He too was interested in a vaquero but is now very glad I turned him onto the blackhawk. I like blackhawks better because of the adjustable sight. It's my opinion that actually being able to hit your target is more important than "looking cool" or historially correct unless you are going to compete in cowboy action shooting. Then to be legal according to sass rules it has to be vaquero. To me,it's just a hassle to havta aim off just to hit your target if the fixed sights ain't hitting to point of aim(and most don't)-close but not acceptable for my accuracy standards. Another of my reasons for liking the blackhawk adjustable sighted model is the fact that different loads will shoot to different points of impact and it's nice to be able to sight it in to hit exactly where I aim.

#7 ·
If you're dead set on a Vaquereo, by all means get one. I have an older Vaquero in .45 Colt, with 4 5/8" barrel. Don't shoot it much, but glad to have it. It's my workshop gun, kept in my shop for times I'm not wearing my gun.

As to sighting, mine shot pretty well on with my preferred handloads, and only required a little file work to sight in at 25 yards. Even fixed sight guns can be tweaked to sight them in with a little effort.

But, as has been stated, I, too, prefer the Blackhawk. Especially after things are done, words spoken, and cash exchanged over them.

Bob Wright

#8 ·
hey thanks everyone for all of your help... yeah i like the blackhawk and all but have decided on the vaquero because im going to do the SASS and stuff so i need it for that particular reason... havnt bought it yet still saving lol but just the same thanks again...:)

#10 ·
You will love the Vaquero. I recently bought my first one, because I too am thinking about getting into SASS, I like my first one so much I just ordered my second one. They are not that expensive to get. I bought 2 of the new special editions for $455 each. I think that is a very good price for a very good gun, that will last for years.

Attachments

#11 ·
First off the new Vaquero isn't any stronger than a Uberti. The old Vaq. is. The new Vaq kinda sorta looks like a Colt but functions nothing like one. I don't like Ruger sa's for that reason. The Blackhawk is legal for SASS, just limited to certain categories. You also need two revolvers not just one and a lever action rifle and a shotgun. Shotgun can either be a SXS with no ejectors, a Winchester 1887 lever action or Winchester 1897 pump. No other pump is SASS legal including the Norinco 93/97 that was designed especially for SASS. Uberti rocks my world in 44-40. :D

Rossi helps

Did I mention SXS's

#12 ·
This one's the real deal, not a clone.

Don't skimp on leather. Get the best you can possibly afford and good leather ain't cheap. Forget Cabela's and Oklahoma Leather. You will regret it. Good leather is stiff, very stiff and the guns fit loose. Mine were made by Brazos Jack at Etowah River Leather.

#15 ·
The NMV by Ruger is an outstanding firearm. I have Colt SAA's & clones. For SASS I usually shoot my 4 5/8 .357 Vaqueros with cowboy loads in 38 special. With the amount of ammo used in SASS the 38's are considerably cheaper than 45's. I like the .357 because of the versatility of ammo to be used. Lite loaded 38s for practice, plinking, and SASS. .357 for carrying when in the field. A bonus with the Vaquero is 6 rounds instead of 5 with Colts & clones. The .357 round can take down just about anything you run into in the field or the streets.
Good luck and enjoy,
C.B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.