Ruger Mk III vs. Browning 1911-A1... Go!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by MCarter788, Sep 7, 2013.

1. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

Which should I buy?... Fun plinker that I can carry around in the pasture and teach my son on one day. Most Reliable? Most Accurate? Most Fun?

I tried to read some Chuck Hawks review online but you have to sign in or something and I didn't want to mess with that.

2. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

Does anyone have a suggestion? Btw I am talking about the .22 caliber pistols. Just to clarify incase anyone thought I meant the full sized 1911.

3. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

The Ruger is much less expensive. There are also several variations of the Ruger available. There's a good bit of aftermarket support for the Ruger. If you like the 1911 platform, try the .22-45 version. As far as I know the Browning comes in one configuration, with tiny GI type 1911 sights.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Get the Ruger, with the long(6-7/8") bull barrel, and a good scope,

if you want something you can shoot, out to the

accurate range of the caliber. (80-ish yards)

I've got a scoped MK II which makes it to the range, every trip.

5. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

Yea after reading a lot more on the Internet I have decided that I will prob go with the Ruger. I can play around plinking it, then I can upgrade it one day if I want. Any opinions on volquartsen upgrades? Also, if I do decide to upgrade it one day what would be the best platform to start off with?

6. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Go with the Ruger. There is a good aftermarket in parts if you want to "enhance it" it a bit. I shoot mine
    in speed steel competition. I get rid of the magazine safety and install a Volquartzen trigger kit.

Specifically--for a packin in the pasture and teaching the kids gun---get the Ruger 22/45 Lite. Catalog #
    P45MK3ALRPFL. Warning--it comes with a threaded barrel from the factory. Sooner or later you will want
    to accessorize your Ruger with a suppressor.:)

When THAT bug bites you, look hard at the Liberty Kodiak TL. I REALLY like mine.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  7. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

You definitely want to eliminate the magazine disconnect. There are a couple of methods; I purchased a bushing from an internet seller named "Sam Lam". I also read about a DIY option using 5mm washers. I used that until my bushing arrived. Volquartsen may have one as well.

I also performed the "slingshot modification" that allows you to release the bolt by pulling back on the bolt.

You might want to shoot it with the stock trigger before springing for upgrades. I purchased the Volquartsen tune-up kit but some folks report getting substantial improvement by replacing the sear only.

You can upgrade any of the Mark III pistols so get the one you want.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2013
  8. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Ruger, I've got an older model and although it may not be the best gun ever it is very fun and nice looking.

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I considered the same two; the Browning and the Ruger Mark III 22/45 Target, model 10178. I chose those two so it would be a good platform to use to train for my SIG 1911. I Decided on the 22/45. Better for my usage, plus a 5.5" bull barrel and adjustable target sights. Then add to that the many aftermarket options available out there for the Ruger and it was a no brainer. If I could have them both I would opt for that but picking just one, I did the right thing.

10. indy36

indy36 New Member

I shoot Steel Challenge with this 22/45 with Cmore red dot. It's a great gun. image-1749470251.jpg

11. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

About a month ago I asked the same question because I was thinking of getting a 22 pistol
    Had a overwhelming response for the Ruger Mark 3
    So I bought me one yesterday

12. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

And... Have you taken it out yet? What do you think? I held the Mark III Lite the other day in a store and it felt like it was cheap and gonna break.

13. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Unfortunately I live in California I have 8 more days to wait before I can take her out.
    But I did a lot of research on it myself and the gun stores obviously said this is the best 1. 2 so I'm taking everybody's word on this forum and people I trust at the gun store.

14. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

What model did you get?

15. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Ruger

For after market parts and enhancements,I would really consider the Ruger MK pistols. I purchased a Ruger MkII pistol about 20 years ago,a competition target model slab side 6 7/8" barrel,scoped the pistol will out shoot several 22 rifles.

I really like the Browning 1911-A1,but for it's proven accuracy and reliability I would choose the Ruger...jmo

16. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I bought the standard mark 3 standard.
    For a little plinker its going to be perfect for what I wanted.

17. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Check out the Mark III 22/44 Target, model 10178; 5.5" bull barrel, drilled and tapped for an optic, target sights, comes with the rail, and has replaceable grip panels. The extra weight of the bull barrel makes up for the light weight poly frame and makes for an overall nice feel in the hand.

18. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

Do you mean model 10158?

19. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Why yes, yes I do mean the 10158☺. I mixed that up with the 10107.
    Between the 2 the 10158 made more sense to me on a personalization level and it also felt better in my hand.

20. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I have a MK III 22/45 with the 4" barrel and love it. Also have the GSG/Sig 1911-22, and love it after some mods...I would like to have the Browning but it is shrunken and "real" 1911 parts won't fit the frame. As a lefty and a tinker this is a problem. If I ever find it in my budget I would like to have the Browning and a little Bearcat and just keep them in the boxes...When I'm not shooting them.