Ruger MK II

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by Yeti, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Thoughts on the 22/45 vs the MK 2?
    (polymer vs steel)

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

There is also a difference in the grip angle, the Mk.1, 2 and 3 have a European style angle, a bit more agressive, like that of the P.08 Luger or a Glock. The 22/45 was designed to have an angle similar to that of a 1911, hence the name 22/45.

I would hold both and decide from there.

3. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Sputnik has the right idea. For a gun like the Ruger .22 semiautomatic I don't consider have steel vs polymer grip an issue one way or the other. Personally, I like the grip angle on the MkII better for single handed bullseye shooting bit the grip angle on the 22/45 may be better in your hands or for your use. The barrel configuration you want may also have an impact on your choice.

Either way, the Ruger Mk and 22/45 semiautos are great guns and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

I like the bull barrel with either the steel or poly gun. For me it tends to settle the recoil a bit for target shooting...or any shooting for that matter. ;)

5. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I have a 22/45 Target with a bull barrel, and removable grip panels. It's got great balance in my hands, and it is quite accurate. The target sights are a bit hard to pick up quickly. I am considering a Burris FF2 or 3 and changing out the front sight for a hi viz one. But other than that, I am quite happy with the purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I prefer the steel framed Rugers with the pronounced grip angle. The newer 22/45 polymers just feel odd to me even though I do love the feel of a 1911. No doubt my preference was shaped by the first three pistols I bought, a P08 Luger, Ruger Mark I Target and Colt 1911. Lots of folks like the 22/45 so handle them both and choose the one you like best.

Don't forget that there are other fine .22lr pistols, even near clones of the 1911.

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

You need to handle both. It cannot be decided for you by vote.

Heavier weight favors bullseye shooting, but in a 22 it is not a serious concern.

8. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

The unmentioned major factor for me was the magazine release. I ended up with a MkII 22/45...and love it. I held off on a Mark until the MkIIIs were out. I bought a fluted barrel MkIII instead of the slab sided Target because I prefer the former's aesthetic...along with the mag release in the "right" place. I love both; each has a red dot on it and they're used alternately in club Steel Challenge matches. Other than the optics, both of mine are bone stock.

9. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

I have the 22/45 mark iii. I don't too much like the cheap feeling of the polymer. Mine does not have the removable grip panels, which I feel would make it more comfortable because I could add a hogue.

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Buying a replacement steel or alloy frame is easy and inexpensive. It is not a firearm (the barreled action is)

11. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

True. I actually never considered that as I'm used to the frames being the firearm.

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have shot couple of the older steel framed Rugers in the past, but when i finally decided to buy one, i bought the Mark III 22/45 Target Model. have been pleased with it ever since i got it home and shot it.

i would still like to have an older steel framed Mark II at some point. there was one version they oofered that had a 9" target barrel that was pretty cool that i liked. i haven't seen too many like that one.

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

AFAIK, the only difference between the two is grip angle.

On a personal note, I have a scoped stainless steel MKII with the

6-3/4" slabside barrel. It's a favorite plinker, and a great

varminter. Minute of ashtray out to 80 yards.

Just got Hogues, don't have to sweat scratching up the

wood grips anymore. My favorite 22LR.

14. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I have two, one all steel like therewolfs, another with a light alloy frame (aftermarket). Ran several back-to-back shooting contests - it's a tie.