Ruger MK II

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by BDSTRICK, Dec 3, 2011.

1. BDSTRICK

BDSTRICK New Member

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

good guns but im not a fan of heel mag releases

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What he said up there ^^^^.

I like my Mk III, but there are a bazillion people that love the Mark II- DID go out of production in 2005.

4. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

They are one of my favorite 22 pistols heel mag release sucks but im used to it. I own 2 and will probably keep em til my son is old enough to have em

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I love my MK II Target! :cool:

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have a Mark II and I absolutely love it. It's my first semi-auto so I don't know the difference between a 'heel mag release' or any other release. :) I've not gotten used to any other kind of release. My Mark II is very fun to shoot and way more accurate than I'll ever be.

7. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

They don't make them like they used to...errr or make them at all.

Probably one of the all time greats and one of my personal favorites when it comes to semi-auto, magazine fed .22LR handguns.

MKII's have already been appreciating in value since production ceased.
    That 2 hunnerd dollar gun is rapidly becoming that 3 or 4 hunnerd dollar gun.

8. Clem

Clem New Member

I have a MK II 678GC and a couple of MK IIIs, a 5 ½” bull barrel and a Hunter. By the time I got done with the internals, the only operational difference was the heal release of the MK II and the button release of the MK III. Neither was perfect. I put on a paddle mag release on the MK II and screwed on a 1911 mag release extension on the MK IIIs. The original Ruger heal release on the MK II really sucks big time.

9. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

Excellent gun, and I'm not a fan of the heel release either. ;)

10. winds-of-change

What is a 'paddle mag release'?

11. jismail

jismail Member

I have a 1978 "Standard" which is a Mark 1 with fixed sights, I love it. I shoots very well, is made well, and is a fun gun to shoot. The only thing I have a hassle with is finding good mags for it as they changed the design on them for the later guns. I am not sure if the change was for between the 1 and 2 series, or the Mark 3 series.

12. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

[​IMG]

See that little hangy down part there...otherwise known as a dingus?

*not my pistol or picture

13. winds-of-change

Thank you. I've never seen that before.

14. Clem

Clem New Member

Volquartsen makes what they call an extended mag release for the MK II. I call it a paddle because it is so big. Enclosed is a photo from VQ's website and a photo of my MK II with the corners of the paddle release rounded off.

Attached Files:

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Found this photo going through my old albums. I sold this one to my father in law a few years ago. You don't see too many MKII's like this! :D

[​IMG]

16. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

actually yeah i have, a few years back anyway :D my brother & dad both had identical stainless mark II's with the 9 inch barrel, just like that one. those things were more accurate than my first 22 rifle.

we still have my dad's but my brother's was stolen about 7 or 8 years back, sadly it's still out in the wind somewhere...

17. winds-of-change

Hmmm......I think I would like that. But I have a history of trying to put a new part on my Mark II and it taking juuuust about a month for me to get the job done. Anyone else would have gotten it done in an hour or so. There's no way on God's green earth I'm going to try to put another new part on my Mark II. :(

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Ruger Mark III 22/45 is a nice pistol too. i bought one several months ago and really like it. my only regret, not buying one sooner!

19. arizona

arizona New Member

And how important is a fast magazine change on a target 22 pistol?
    Heel magazine releases do make it easier to retain magazines.

20. Clem

Clem New Member

Take off the grips and you will see how easy it is to change the mag release. The factory mag release is almost unusable for me.