Ruger MK II or III - replacement sights

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by Gonzilla, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I ordered Rugers High Vis sights - new front base n fiber optic sight but I have not installed the rear sight blade yet. I read some of the reviews and people have had problems w the "dot the eye" rear sight blade - sighting in.

Does anyone here have any experience w it ?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sight_improvements.htm.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

No experience with rear site. shortly after getting our mkIII I replaced the front sight wiry a hi viz. I really like it and have improved my shooting. I didn't see any need to replace the rear.

Ken

3. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Ken - have You had any problems w accuracy from longer range due to the larger diameter of the fiber optic ? my accuracy was fine at 25' but when I bumped her back to 50' not so well. Front sight,was larger than Tgt diameter. Yet, the Lg front sight aided in shortening shot strings n Tgt transitition...

Do they make a smaller one ? Please take a,look at the article I linked in - some people love the V notch while others prefer the traditional sighting platform.

I will swap out rear blades n let you know how it goes...many dangerous game handguns have the "dot the I" sighting platform.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My Mark II is scoped. I don't use the sights at all. :)

Well, sometimes I take the scope and use the sights since the scope is zeroed at 50 yds. The sights I have on my gun is the factory issued ones.

5. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I used to think scopes were easier to shoot because you don't have to juggle alignment of front, rear & Tgt. Just put the X on the Tgt and pull the trigger.

No doubt they help reduce group size but they also show you how much you shake n high mag generally increases this effect. Both practice & a rested action help. :D

6. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

The dia. of the fiber optic was the first thing i noticed. I adjusted my rear sight so the gun kept the "dot the I" sighting. I won't say that my spread doesn't get a little bigger when I shoot from beyond my usual 30' range, but it is still acceptable and getting better. I am still thinking about replacing the factory rear site but not in any rush. please do let me know how you like it when you swap yours out.
    I still consider myself new to handguns so trading post like this are very helpful.

Ken

Ken

7. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

The article in my first post goes over the rear sight question rather well. I got mine from Ruger when I bought the Hi,Viz Sights for $3.60.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Very true.

9. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Hopefully, we can get you hooked on manual sights again. The practice on 22s will hopefully, translate to CC, bullseye or whatever disipline you choose.

Right now, I am trying to learn instinctive shooting to decrease my shot strings. Point shooting carries a lot of unwarranted baggage. We've gone over this in other threads and I learn something new every time we do.

It's very hard for me not to focus on the front sight and just trust my index & concentrate on the target. Nitestalker has been doing this for years and is trying to help me get to the next level. I guess old habits die hard and I just need more trigger time.

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

OK - first attempt - rear site came out w/o major issues but getting the new rear sight in while holding spring was major fight and spring came out at Mach 2 hit wall and was lost for 15 minutes while desperate search ensued. Found spring and decided I've had enough fun for today. :mad: Will make second attempt another day when blood pressure comes down. :p

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Get 1 gallon ziplock bag. Work on gun inside bag- for those SPROING! moments.

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

To avoid the great American spring hunt - I'll TRY anything but visibility is hard and the area being worked on is very small.

Thanks - this is outside of the box thinking !

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Lessons Learned

Evidently, there are two versions of Hi Viz sights n they are easily IDed by a Black or Red Key used to change the light pipes. The black Key is the first generation and it has different diameter light pipes which will hopefully solve the problem I was having in earlier post.

Version 2 has Red key and all light pipes are the same diameter.

FYI:
    If you have a MK I the part number is 12935 and it includes Hi Viz front & adj rear sight. (front pin removes from R to L w punch)

Ruger CS Rep is sending me new set of light pipes as I did not get full compliment to begin.

CS tech also gave me some hints on how to deal w spring. (compress w punch & hold w paper clip.) Thanks to C3's bag set close - I was able to try this and it worked on 3rd attempt. My dental pick was just too thick to accomplish the mission. The V notch is in & God, do I hope it works !!! ;)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

New Sight Range Report

1st range trip - usual trouble getting sighted in. Front sights larger diameter is a plus for 25' in but a detriment at 50' & I'm considering a 6 o'clock hold point. Need to find what ammo she likes better than bulk fodder w/o spending a fortune.

2nd range trip. The old MK I w 1.5X scope which bit me was the hero of the day. Every other gun I brought shot high and my MK II shot low for POA and I literally ran out of down on the elevation adjustment. Have read about people who had problems w "v" notch but it was a real PIA to switch out.

Any ideas ? Does anyone sell a white outlined rear sight blade for Rugers ?
    Do I need to adjust my hold point ? Sight height s/b correct as I bought everything from Ruger.

15. javelin225HO

javelin225HO New Member

My mark III hunter came with the hi viz front sight with the red key and lite pipes. The rear sight has a white line that lines up with the front sight. After tweaking with the rear sight today, I was hitting a gong at 50 yards with no problems.

16. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

MKIII Hunter has those sights as stock. It cost me $40. I ran out of elevation adj at 50' @ indoor range.

But they were dead on for 25' @ the outdoor range. Never seemed to have this issue w std square rear sight.

17. druryj

druryj New Member

Same here, HiViz Front Site from Ruger; easy install and a world of difference.

18. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Agree - it's a night/day difference. But I hold to my earlier post via the diameter and accuracy at longer distances. (X > 50' or more)

The dot the "I" or "v" rear sight also helps beginners and speeds up sight alignment. Have read about sighting in "issues" on Internet but have not found any answers. Ruger sent me another rear sight but w/o a vice & brass punch - not looking fwd to it.

OK - I finally got on a real computer and am able to attach photo's. This is what the sight alignment looks like.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013