Ruger MK II feeding issues

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by endobro, Apr 26, 2014.

1. endobro

endobro New Member

Borrowed my dads .22 to go shooting today. Have an issue where the round gets stuck of th feed ramp. Literally middle of the actual bullet. Doesent matter which mag I use 3 total.

I plan on giving it a very good clean today but I don't think that this issue is caused by being to dirty so any help would be appreciated

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

It could be from it being dirty. Also, what kind of ammo were you using? Did the jam happen with every round? Near the beginning of the mag? The end?

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Ammo can have a bit to do with it. Once the chamber gets carbon and lead or wax build-up in it, the MkII pistols can get a bit sensitive. Use a brush and solvent in the chamber. Make sure the bolt face is clean and that the extractor is moving, and free of gunk. Lube the bolt and recoil spring up pretty well also.

4. therukh

therukh New Member

Dirty Rugers

One of the things that shuts down my Ruger is being dirty. I'm not one to keep my shootin' irons too clean so this issue is near & dear to my heart. A good friend of mine told me before I got mine that he has to clean his every 100 rounds or so. That what I did with mine for the first several hundred rounds but now I go longer before I clean it. Mine works flawlessly for a couple hundred rounds or so and then I start getting a random FTF and I know exactly what the issue is. After I clean it, it's good to go. I'd start there and see if it clears it up. If not, let us know and there are some other things we can try.

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

If the pistol was reliable in the past, it is probably dirty as stated above. Most 22 ammo fouls the chamber quickly, with a touch of wax from the plated bullets. The bullet is loosely seated in the case, and it will easily dislodge when the ramp gives some resistance. I'd scrub the chamber first, as you suggested.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  6. endobro

endobro New Member

Jam was random sometimes the first round trying to chamber and sometimes with 2or 3 rounds left in mag. The round literally gets jammed into the feed ramp.

Using thunder .22 rounds.

Gun was fairly dirty but I cleaned it up good.

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

thunderbolt causes complaints often. Try CCI mini mags or similar, midrange quality or better

8. therukh

therukh New Member

I agree. Mine likes Mini Mags the best.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thunderbolt is very dirty ammo. I think cleaning it will solve the problem.

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I'll pile on with the cleaning opinion as well, additionally don't forget to give the mags a thorough cleaning as well. It doesn't take much gunk in a mag to cause feeding issues.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I will say that thunderbolts are somewhere way down on the bottom of my list of ammo choices. I've avoided buying any for a long time.