Ruger Mark Pistols...What do YOU have?

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Gun Forum' started by SGWGunsmith, Mar 9, 2016.

1. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey folks,

Up here in Northwestern Wisconsin, Sarona to be exact. Owner operator of Sarona Gun Works LLC www.saronagunworks.com.

Been trouble shooting the Ruger .22 rimfire pistols for 45+ years and I have not found an issue yet that can't be fixed. I figure, if it ain't broke.......improve it.

One of my favorites. Ruger Mark II Government Model with grips made by S.G.W. LLC

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  2. SGWGunsmith

My Irish Granny always told us kids that we should be seen, but NOT heard. OK Granny, would this be better?

[​IMG]

3. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Attached Files:

4. SGWGunsmith

Stuck up here surrounded by 320 acres of hardwoods timber. Frequently attacked by ISIS gray coats. ;)

[​IMG]

5. SGWGunsmith

That's the one they called "Gold", but it does look more silver than gold. That version is supposed to be very scarce. Bet if you stick it on "Gunbroker", it won't last long.

6. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have some parts , recoil spring , trigger assembly , what else might I get ..?

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

My standard model that was made in 1951 still has all the original parts! Though I did switch to checkered wood grips. I also have a Mark 1 with a 5-1/2" bull barrel. Very accurate guns.

8. Quentin

Quentin Active Member

I have a 1976 Mark I 6-7/8" taper barrel, a 1986 Mark II Target 5.5" bull barrel and a 2006 Mark III again with the 5.5" bull barrel. All target models, all blue steel. I like the Mark II the best but won't get rid of that old Mark I that I bought 40 years ago, it's been too good for all those decades.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Not a very good picture but I LOVE my Mark II.

Attached Files:

10. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Mark I marked 200th year of American Liberty. A gunsmith installed target sights and adjustable trigger. Trigger breaks with no over travel. Trigger breaks at 8 ounces.
    It shoots dime size groups if I can still hold it steady.
    Shame he didn't tell me he was refinishing it and so the marking is clear and concise but you can tell the raised metal is gone from the stamping. Set of Ruger target checkered stocks with thumb shelf.
    I have all the original pieces to put it back including black plastic grips but the refinishing...I dunno ruined collector value probably.

Several year old stainless MkIII competition target model.
    Factory laminated target stocks checkered with thumb shelf
    Several year old 30mm Pro point red dot sight.
    Where the red dot lands it hits.
    Wish I could put a laser on it without increasing the bulk too much.
    Factory included 1 inch rings but will exchange them for 30mm for five bucks. Wish I had kept the 1 inch rings too.
    Would like to put a laser on it without increasing bulk and weight too much. I would hate to take off the red dot as it is dead center focused .

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I had the little 4" basic MKIII, but after .22 ammo went away and it became an oxymoron, I traded it for $160 worth of store credit and bought reloading supplies for .357/.38.

Attached Files:

12. SGWGunsmith

Most all of the parts in your Lite pistol are common to the other 22/45 versions. Small springs, like those for the firing pin rebound, safety detent and bolt stop assembly detent, do break, but more often get lost during the cleaning process. Firing pins are the same as those found in all the Ruger Mark & Standard pistols since day 1. You might consider getting a sear spring or two for your parts stash.

I stock all the parts for the Ruger Marks & Standards that Ruger sells without restriction and a whole bunch of aftermarket parts to replace the parts they do restrict for general sale. Ruger has gone to an exchange basis only with some of the major parts, like bolt.

13. SGWGunsmith

Those are very popular and cosmetically appealing pistols. Funny thing, in the mid-nineties during a BATF-E compliance check, the agent found a Ruger pistol listed in my bound book that we couldn't find. My first thought was that it was stolen from my shop. While he was scrutinizing all my paperwork, I started searching my shelves and safes to see where the heck that pistol was. Eventually, I found the pistol in the dust covered original shipping box on top of a cabinet that I keep buffing wheels and buffing compound in. I must have put the dang pistol up there when I got something out of the cabinet and forgot about it. So now, I have an unfired Ruger Mark I 6-7/8 barrel blued Target version, still in the box. It is extremely difficult to walk past the safe it's now in and not take it out back and shoot it.

[​IMG]

14. SGWGunsmith

What a GREAT pistol for packin' around the woods with. .22 rimfire ammunition is still a bit hard to get locally around these parts also. I go on-line every now and then trying to pick up a brick or two.

15. Quentin

Quentin Active Member

What a nice find! It would be hard not to take it out for a spin! I still have my box (red) and papers but they and the Mark I do show their 40 years, unlike yours. Lived its life in AZ mostly so not much rust, though. Funny, my 1976 doesn't have the bicentennial markings like others of that year. I bought it in '76 but maybe it was made in 1975.