Ruger Mark II

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by NobleEagle, May 24, 2013.

1. NobleEagle

NobleEagle New Member

I am the kind of person that if somebody messes up I will tell everybody that will listen. By the same token if someone does a good job I will praise them just as well. I have had dealings with other companies especially Smith and Wesson, but Ruger definitely stands out in front with the quality of their product as well as their customer satisfaction.
    Recently I dug through the safe and found my dads old Mark II that had a red dot on it. Remembering how will they shoot, I wanted to give it a go with open sights again. So I proceeded to take the red dot off, and found that the rear sight had to be disassembled to mount the rail. After checking the local shops for replacement rear sight, I was not successful. So I called Ruger directly. I used Brownells website to get the part number and Ruger had the item for about $18 shipping included. Upon checkout, I asked if they gave an NRA or an instructor discount. The operator had to check with their supervisor and came back to tell me they would ship it out free of charge. That to me is impeccable customer service the way it used to be and the way it should be. I installed the rear sight yesterday and went to test it today. The target below is at 30 feet using Federal ammo. This is my way of spreading the word of how well Ruger conducts business and values their customers.

ForumRunner_20130524_152038.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

To me, the MK II is about the only gun Ruger makes that is capable of impressing me. It still benefits from some modification though. Here are my two MK IIs.

ForumRunner_20130606_135621.jpg

ForumRunner_20130606_135650.jpg

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have a Mark II that I am very impressed with. I am also very impressed with my Ruger GP 100. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've just been shooting my MKII with a scope at 100 yards.

Nothing earth shaking, but on the paper, which for a 22LR

pistol at that range, ain't bad.

At the 50 yard range, the shots are on a 6" target.

Lots of fun plinking. It almost always comes out at the

range.

5. Firenailer

Firenailer New Member

The Mark II was my first handgun and after shooting it for the last 28 years, it's still the only gun in the safe that I'd never sell or trade.

Still shoots great after all these years too!

6. rurak

rurak New Member

I like that gp100 winds. How long Is that barrel?

7. winds-of-change

It's a 6" barrel. And it's my "go to" gun. If I had to choose only one of my guns, it would be that revolver..........though I enjoy them all.

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I have to change out the internals for VQ parts and a hammer bushing and pin from Clark Custom. Then it's a sweet gun.

Like your slabside Winds!

9. winds-of-change

Thanks. It's a sweet shooter.

10. rurak

rurak New Member

What's the difference beyween a mk I , ii , or iii?

11. winds-of-change

Well, there are differences but I don't know them all. The Mark I was the original model and I don't know much about it other than it is a nice .22 pistol. There are some differences that I know of between the Mark II and the Mark III. The Mark III has a threaded barrel so it can accommodate a suppressor. The Mark III also has magazine loaded indicator and magazine disconnect that prevents discharge when the magazine has been removed.

12. rurak

rurak New Member

Thanks Winds. I own a Mark III but never knew the difference. I don't have a threaded barrel though :( I live in Massachusetts.

13. winds-of-change

Well, maybe it was on option an the Mark III. JonM sold me his Mark II because he wanted a III. He has a suppressor on his.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Biggest differences are the 1 did not have a bolt hold-back feature after the last shot. The 2 added a slide release that locks the slide open after the last shot. The 3 changed the mag release from the heel on the 1s and 2s to a 1911 style mag release. The 3 also got new "saftey" features like a loaded chamber indicator and a safety that will not allow the gun to fire without a mag.

There are other smaller changes, but those were the biggest changes.

15. rurak

rurak New Member

Thanks for clarifying the differences. I own a 3 and alwayd wondered