Ruger Mark II/III?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Axxe55, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

have my eye on buying another pistol. the one i am interested in is the ruger mark II or mark III. any suggestions on what a reasonable price would be for one use? and what is the difference between the mark II and III? another question, would the browning buckmark be a better pistol? and what would the reasonable price be for one of those?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would definitely recommend a Mark II. I bought a used one at a very good price from a friend and I am very happy with it. The Mark III has some features that others don't seem to like very much and I'm not 100% familiar with them so I will let someone more knowledgable than I explain them to you.

Some complain about field stripping but I am very new to guns and I have no problem field stripping it for cleaning. But let me just say, if you AREN'T very familiar with semi-autos, don't mess with the internals. It took me a month of blood, sweat and tears to put mine back together when I tried to replace the thumb piece for the bolt hold. I think I could do it now in an hour or so, but it was a darned tough learning process. :(

Get yourself a Mark II or a Mark III and have great fun with a very accurate and reliable .22 pistol.

3. Axxe55

thanks for the input, WOC. i have shot some of the older Ruger Mark I i believe is the one. i enjoyed it. just wondering, what are the differences in the mark II and the III? just out of curiosity, what did you have to pay for yours?

4. winds-of-change

Well, I basically stole mine from a friend, I am told. I paid $250 for an absolutely perfect and beautiful Mark II Competition Target model. The guy I bought it from knows his guns well and took excellent care of this gun. Slab Side bull barrel, stainless steel. It came with 5 magazines, original box, paperwork, etc. and a red dot sort of scope with rings and an extra set of grips. My friend sold it because he had bought himself a Mark III with a threaded barrel which he put a suppressor on. Basically, he found himself a better toy. I am THRILLED with my new toy!!

The differences I could tell you (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is the mag release on the II is at the bottom of the grip where the mag enters, on the Mark III it's behind the trigger.

The Mark III has a loaded chamber indicator on it. It also has a magazine disconnect which prevents the gun from firing if the magazine is not in place. (Always remember to remove the mag AND clear the chamber.)

There may be other differences but those are the ones I know of. I really wanted a Mark II but I was going to buy a Mark III because I thought I wouldn't be able to find a Mark II but a wonderful member here on this forum had the Mark II sitting at the back of his safe that he never shot anymore and offered it to me. I am eternally grateful to him. :D

Also, everyone says the Mark's are difficult to field strip and clean. I was shown how to do it a couple times when I bought the gun and later took it when I went shooting with the guy I bought it from. I do not find the gun difficult to field strip and clean at all. Maybe because I have very little gun experience and this is my first semi-auto so I have no preconceived notion or any other experience to know if this one is difficult or not. I have nothing to compare it to. The manual has pretty clear step by step directions on how to field strip it and there are many good videos of the process on Youtube. The only trouble I have had is when I went to put a new thumb piece bolt hold on to accompany some new grips I had bought for it. When I pulled that pin out that holds the thumb piece, safety, hammer and lever for the trigger...........springs flew and it took me a month of trying off and on to get the internals back together right. But it certainly wasn't the guns fault. My fault for thinking I could do this little project with ease. Hahaha. But now that I've done it (and I learn so well through trial and error, hence my signature) I think I could put those same pieces back together correctly in a very timely fashion. Like in an hour or two now that I know how it goes and the tricks of holding those pieces in place while I work. (Some well placed pieces of clear tape can work wonders.)

I hope I helped. Others who know more will be along shortly.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  5. BarryNiven

BarryNiven New Member

I really enjoy shooting my mkiii target. I paid somewhere between $450 and $500 new. The feature I don't like is the chamber loaded indicator. It makes it harder to clean and does not really add any value to me.

That said, fun gun.

No matter what .22lr target pistol you buy, buy one of these:

Mcfadden Machine Company Incorporated Clip Loader

Because it really does work just like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nRo32_Yi4U]How I Use an Ultimate Cliploader - YouTube[/ame]

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Excellent advice from winds-of-change and Barry. (And I agree you've got to get that Ultimate Cliploader thingie - amazing! After 30 years of loading mags manually I had a big smile after trying it the first time.)

I like the Mark II better, too - and have all three, the Mark I, Mark II and Mark III. The main advantages of the Mark III are that you can buy one new, configured exactly the way you want - and the receiver is tapped for an optics mount. Few of the earlier versions are ready for a mount.

ETA:
    And I guess the Mark III with the LCI and magazine safety is a "safer" gun for the novice. Otherwise my Mark II is the best of the three. I have noticed the LCI makes the Mark III more fussy with ammo, i.e. less reliable.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  7. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I have 2 mark ii's, i have shot all 3 versions and really enjoy the mark ii the most. I didnt plan on having 2 but i came across a competition target in stainless at a gun show and couldnt walk away without it

8. Axxe55

thanks guys, all you have given me lots of good information on this and is much appreciated. i guess if i can't find a mark II, i will get my gunshop to order me a new mark III. looks like the MSRP ranges from about 370-685 for a new one based on finish and features on the ruger website. might get lucky at the next gunshow and find one.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well you might call gun shops around town. Never know who could have a Mark II in stock.

10. winds-of-change

I agree with Quentin. If you really want a Mark II, I think you'd be able to find one.

11. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

The Mark II is just about the perfect bullseye .22, the Mk III is the screwed up version after lawyers got into the design (screwed up the trigger and added a magazine disconnect safety). Find a nice used Mk II, you will be glad later.

12. Axxe55

thanks, BH. i think after the comments and suggestions, i am going to try and find a Mark II after all. i guess i will just keep searching until i find one!

13. Axxe55

well i bought a Ruger Mark III 22/45 today. shot about 50rnds so far. sweet shooter. got one with the 5.5 target barrel. the store had just got it in the day before. brand new! he had it priced at $329, and let me have it for $289. i bought a soft case and 1000 rnds of ammo. so far so good. i will post pictures and a range report later.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  14. grandpabear

grandpabear Member

I have a Mark II Target model 22/45 in stainless and I love it. I and my 8 yr. old grandson have shot 1000s of rounds out of it.You use the coated bullets and that thing will spit casings out of it all day long. Great gun!

15. Axxe55

this gun shoots great! wished i had bought one of these many years ago. but better late than never. here are a couple of pictures.

Attached Files:

16. JeiC

JeiC New Member

I got a chance to try my brother-in-law's Ruger Mark III Target a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed shooting it, and even with my newbie-ness usually showing through any time I go out with the family to shoot, it was really accurate. Had a couple of FTE, but it's the ammo because that also FTEs in my husband's Ruger 10/22 on occasion.

Downside for me is that I don't overly care for the grip (of the two, I prefer the Browning Buck Mark's grip). I personally won't be getting it for my first gun, but I would still highly recommend it to others (not that my opinion holds weight at this stage).

Wish I had something to say about the Mark II, but maybe someday I'll get the chance to try one.

So this might have turned more into a range report than anything. Enjoy your new toy.

17. Axxe55

JeiC, check out the one i bought. the Ruger 22/45 Mark III. the the frame and grips are more like the 1911 45. i like it better than the regular Mark III. so far i have shot about 200 rnds of remington brass plated hollow points thru it, no problems so far. i bought a 1000 rnds of this stuff. i can already tell, it ain't enough!

18. winds-of-change

Have fun with those Ruger .22 pistols. I have one and I love it.

19. Axxe55

thanks WOC. i've already shot about 300 rnds and i'm really liking this pistol! shoots great and accurate too. my only regret, i wish i had bought one years ago.

20. Yetiman

Yetiman New Member

That's a sweeeet shooter you picked up there (and a nice deal too!).
    more than 25 years ago I had a mk1 on long term loan from a family friend when I first became involved in league shooting. I quickly moved on to 1911's.
    Over the years I always planned to pick up a Ruger .22 for myself but never did. This spring I came across a used mk3 Competition Target and jumped on it, mostly because of the cheap ammo.
    This summer I was letting my girlfriend shoot it (her first experience shooting) and she had trouble with the weight of it after 3 or 4 shots. The up side is she wanted to try the Browning Hi Power then as it was lighter and she enjoyed shooting it a lot.
    So, justification being the strongest human urge, I had a reason to bring home a new (much lighter weight) 22/45 Hunter with a fluted stainless 4.5" bbl.

The GF likes has more fun shooting it, and I absolutely love the gun both for the way it shoots, and because I think it looks pretty cool too.
    It had an awesome 3# 1oz trigger even before the Volquartsen trigger and bushing to eliminate the mag safety went in, and it is just plain fun to shoot.

I don't think you could ever regret your purchase there, especially with those nice grips yours came with. Looks like a grin factory to me !