Ruger Mark II AAARG!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Oaktree45, Apr 18, 2020.

1. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

For me, disassembly was a breeze, reassembly a frigin' nightmare. I share the OP's frustration. Had to get a gunsmith to reassemble and cost me $65 (although he did do a very thorough cleaning with the job).

This website saved my bacon...
    http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm

Love my Mk-II but still cringe at the prospects of reassembly. Don't shoot it much anymore (have a Bersa Thunder .22 that is very enjoyable to shoot and a snap to disassemble/reassemble for cleaning). But every once in a while, shooting that Mk-II is a wonderful treat. I put Hogue rubberized grips on it, which made a huge improvement.

Oaktree45 likes this.
  2. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Click, flip, snap and done.
    Really.

Once you get the knack (not hard to get BTW), you'll just shake your head.
    It is that easy.

You guys are making (and taking) it too hard.

Hairtrigger and Oaktree45 like this.

3. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the Majestic kits.

IMHO, if you can install a Majestic kit, you don't need one.

Seriously, find a bud that can do it, buy him a beer to show you how it's done.
    You should have it figured out on 3rd try.

MK1 and 2 are EASY. You just gotta pay attention for a little bit.

AgedWarrior and Oaktree45 like this.
  4. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Pointing the muzzle up is key. But the most forgotten step is reinserting the magazine before attempting to fold the locking pin.
    That pistol is like no other. Bill Ruger’s revenge... for what? :)

RJF22553, freefall and Oaktree45 like this.
  5. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

Can’t say I ever had to insert a mag to assemble...

Mercator likes this.
  6. Mercator

You possibly don't have to, but it makes the reassembly easier by blocking the swinging arm from diving into the frame. Should have mentioned also holding back the trigger while folding the backstrap pin, this one is mandatory, and people forget it while struggling with the pin.

Added: looked in the manual, you need to remove the mag only if it's a 22/45.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Hairtrigger and AgedWarrior like this.
  7. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Muzzle up, pull the trigger, give a bit of a shake and fold it shut. Easy peasy.

Hairtrigger and AgedWarrior like this.
  8. AgedWarrior

9. AgedWarrior

The trigger, absolutely! But I never had to install the mag on a Standard Model, Mark II or Mark III.

10. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Well-Known Member

I see what you mean. That field strip is more my style.

PeeJay1313 and Rifling82 like this.
  11. Mercator

I wonder if Bill Ruger actually wanted the owner to field strip the Mark I. With the barrel/action locked back it is accessible to cleaning, and the frame doesn’t really need much. Anyone knows?

Oaktree45 likes this.
  12. AgedWarrior

The pistol was a relatively simple design in 1949, and actually not that complicated to takedown and reassemble. I cannot speak for the intentions of Bill Ruger, but the pistols sold like hot cakes then, and they still do. And .22 pistols get dirty! The challenge of takedown and reassemble never seems to have thwarted sales nor have the guns lost value. The Mark IV is an improvement in regards takedown and reassembly, but the original design as Standard Models, Mark II, and Mark III had solid continuous sales from 1949 until the Mark IV was introduced in 2012...60+ years. I suspect that for every owner who hates the takedown and reassembly of their Mark Series pistol there are 10 who just learn how and then enjoy the pistol! Course this is just my simple thoughts...

13. Mercator

There was no competition for 60 years. Nobody else made an all-steel target quality 22 for the price. Ruger updated the design when they knew the new Victory would kill it.

AgedWarrior likes this.
  14. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Active Member

I learned to put a gun down if frustration was at hand. That would be come back later.
    I wonder how much of this difficulty comes from having the hammer back. Other places the gun can be put together wrong. The take down, for real, is not that hard.

I use my old MK II for weekly matches. I have no idea how many rounds have gone through that gun. Most of my shooting is done with CCI SV cartridges with no problems. My MK II is stock as a door knob-no fancy stuff.

Added: My Mark II was made in 1985.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    winds-of-change likes this.
  15. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

That's one reason my 22 plinker is a High Standard. So simple a caveman could field strip it.

16. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Mowgli, see post #21.
    This website saved my bacon...
    http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm

My Mark II was made in 1990 and with the exception of Hogue grips, it is as it left the factory.

winds-of-change likes this.
  17. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have a High Standard Field King, ported bull barrel it belonged to my Dad. It's wonderfully accurate. Circa 58, 59.

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I love my Mark II. I bought it from JonM. He taught me how to take it apart and put it back together. It’s not difficult after you have done it a time or two.

freefall and AgedWarrior like this.
  19. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Active Member

The website was helpful. The top will not come off the lower receiver that easily here. Personally, I'd not care to make a practice of separating the two parts. Years ago a mistreated Mark II had to fixed because of loose fit.

The current gun had the small spring in the sear linkage reversed. That was fun. Gun was firing out of battery and shooting small burst. Fixed that myself. I did have that little firing pin spring guide break. I suspect that was damage from the original owner. It was a simple fix and has run from that day on without a glitch. I've had the gun over twenty years.

I've had people who should know better repeat these horror stories about the Mark II. In describing my gun I did overlook the Hogue grips and Clark sight base. The gun is stainless. It's still a stock Mark II on the inside. Got the gun cheap because of missing magazine. Got it put back together and have been shooting it ever since. Those old High Standard's are also a great handguns.

20. AgedWarrior

winds-of-change and Rifling82 like this.