Ruger Mark I

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Chucklz97, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Chucklz97

Chucklz97 New Member

I have just recently inherited a Mark I. I want to take it apart and clean it, and I am pretty handy, but the manual I downloaded says to beat on the backside of the bolt with a hammer to sepperate the barrel from the grip. I don't know if I'm comfortable beating on my gun with a hammer. Any thoughts?

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

rubber mallet or nylon headed mallet , leave the heavy work hammers in the tool box

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

soft-faced-hammer-big.jpg

something like this- not a carpenter's hammer

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I rap them on the edge of the workbench sometimes instead of using my plastic hammer. A piece of wood works fine and costs nothing.

5. edwardo

edwardo New Member

Hopely not butting in but I just happened to break down my MK I the other day and when I put it back together, it won't fire. You can put the bolt carrier back but no fire. I think I must have placed the hammer strut on the wrong side as I replaced the mainspring housing; although it did go back together. My problem now is that I cannot remove the mainspring housing to get things right; the lever part swings out but the housing will not come out far enough. Please help save me a trip to the gunsmith.

6. jmeekhof

jmeekhof New Member

I have a mark iii and it comes apart pretty easy now. First time I used a rubber mallet but if I knew which way it came apart I probably could have done it w the palm of my hand. After you field strip it 4 or 5 times it gets easy.

7. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Mark 1

It the last step of reassembly point the hand grip up before putting the pin through and latch back into the handle..

8. edwardo

edwardo New Member

Any suggestions on breaking it down; I've tried even using a flathead screwdriver to get the mainspring housing to swing out but no joy.

9. jmeekhof

jmeekhof New Member

Take the clip out first

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

This is why I sold my Ruger .22

Gotta be a double jointed circus freak to clean the damn things.

Tack

11. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Patience and a little practice and its a breeze to break down, turn the Mark II upside down, make sure the hammer strut hangs freely and pull the trigger: you should be able to pull the bolt out now.

Good technique and tool usage makes disassembly and reassembly easy:
    My Mark II Stainless Target model:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Tacsol Mark II, Paclite modded Mark II:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

putting these kits together is fun!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 50th Anniversary Mark II:
    [​IMG]

Love 'em!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hammer may have swung too far forward. Try inserting magazine (which will push hammer back into place) The with strut swung out, rap the top of the pin (where it comes out of top of the frame GENTLY with a block of wood.

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have a Mark II and I use a rubber mallet but the guy I bought it from could just remove the bolt with his hands. A small tap is enough. It won't hurt it.

14. Chucklz97

Chucklz97 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I got it using a plastic block. Putting it back together...now that was a pain.

15. jmeekhof

jmeekhof New Member

It gets easier the more you do it.

16. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

I said that to my girlfriend in high school.