ruger makrk iii hunter series

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Thejiro, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Thejiro

Thejiro New Member

So i am looming at getting my first gun and i went to the local range and rented the ruger mark iii hunter series with 5" barrel. I also got a 235 countbox of winchester ammo from the range. I noticed the gun jamming a bit it seemed like it was having problems chambering the rounds as well as not ejecting the casings correctly. I am confused by this because ive heared so much good about the ruger mark series ability to chew through ammo with out much issues. So my question is was it user based ammo based or weapon based issue.

Any input would be grealty appreciated

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think it might be the Winchester Ammo. Try Federal. I highly doubt it was the Mark III.

3. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Unless it hasn't been cleaned.

4. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I had some issues with my mark ii with some recent winchester. I had run in tons of time but the most recent box i had gotten had feeding issues changed ammo and back to normal

5. winds-of-change

Ah, you might be right. I just noticed it was a rental gun.

I have read Winchester isn't the best 'cheap' ammo. I use Federal in the red, bulk box and I've not had any problem running it through my Mark II.

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

A range rental gun may not have been cleaned in recent history and has probably seen some pretty rough use.

Ruger Mark III's get consistently great reviews. If you like the rental gun when it shoots, then you'll probably enjoy owning a new one yourself and won't likely have the problems you are experiencing with the rental.

Years ago, my Browning 22 semi auto would fail to chamber a round now and then, especially if ripping off a few really fast (round would lodge cockeyed as it entered the chamber). $20 and a gun smith with a file fixed it. Since then, there's been thousands of the 500 economy rounds to the box 22 LRs put through it and I can't remember the last time it jammed.

7. Thejiro

Thejiro New Member

Thanks for the replies. I figured it was a combination of the gun being extremely dirty and possibly the ammo. That being said when the gun wasnt jamming it was great. I really enjoyed it and i probably will be going with that for my first gun purchase.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i will venture a guess here, possibly because it was a rental and not cleaned properly, if at all and the ammo could have not been a good performer for that pistol. guns can be finicky sometimes with the ammo they like. if your are wanting to buy the ruger Mark III, i say go for it. i bought a Mark III 22/45 target model several months ago and have fed at least 3000 rounds through it with no problems and only a detailed cleaning after every 500 rounds. buy the Mark III and take care of it, and you will be happy with it. i know i am.

9. Thejiro

Thejiro New Member

Thats what i figured when i gave the gun back to them they just stuck it back in the case and i wasnt sure about the ammo aswell. I will still get it and take better care of it. The replies here have aleveiated my concerns

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

the biggest issue with mark3 having jamming issues is the loaded chamber indicator. once you get around 500 rounds through it has to be cleaned. after that the the chances of frequent jamming goes up.

i cured mine of that by disabling the loaded chamber indicator. ive got around 5000 rounds through mine so far without cleaning no fte/ftf other than a few duds using remington 22lr. i run a LOT of ammo through my 22s. when i first got my mk3 i shot it for 1500 rounds stock and towards the end it was having massive ftf issues. once i operated on it its been super reliable.

since its a range gun its liekly just extremely dirty as ive never seen a properly cleaned or lubed range gun.

22lr are one of the exceptions when evaluating by rentals.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  11. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

jiro,

What are you looking for in a firearm? Ruger hunter makes a lousy carry weapon, questionable self defense weapon, but a GREAT plinking and/or hole punching gun. Don't judge a gun strictly by a rental experience.

12. Thejiro

Thejiro New Member

This gun is strictly going to be used for plinking and learning marksmanship. Not for SD as the price for 22 ammo is dirt cheap and i can go and learn the proper shooting mechanics on something that isnt a beast. Once i am much more comfortable handling firearms and shooting i will be upgrading to a higher caliber firearm aimed for self defense and concealed carry.

I just want to know what im doing before i start toting around something as dangerous as a firearm on a daily basis.

13. winds-of-change

Very good thinking.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree. good thinking on your part. the ruger Mark III is a very good choice and very fun gun to shoot also. let me make a suggestion, check out the Mark III 22/45, the grip and angle mimic the 1911 45 pistol. heres mine.

Attached Files:

15. Thejiro

Thejiro New Member

Very nice i'll deffinately look into the 22/45 series.

Yea i decided to go small because ive never had any le or military training or grew up shooting or handling guns so i figured the best way to go is learn the fundamentals on an easy gun thats cheap to shoot then step up when i feel like im at a comoetency level that i can handle a more powerful gun. Its just a safer route to go and safety is always first in my mind when dealing with guns.

Thanks again all for the great advice on what i was seeing with the ruger.

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

GREAT THINKING!

I love the 22/45, actually doing ok in competition with iron sites against the red dot scopes. Looking really hard at the trigger upgrade kit... Apparently buying several firearms in the last few months isn't enough, nor is blinking up almost every gun we own, now I have to start doing internal upgrades, LOL