Ruger LCRx 38 special ?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by GMG2, Jun 16, 2020.

1. GMG2

GMG2 Member

I'm a hammer guy all the way.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

If this is truly a last resort carry weapon for you, make it DAO. Have your finger remember the DA trigger and refresh its memory 2-3 times a year.

Rifling82 and schnuffleupagus like this.

3. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Hammerless is a specific purpose built pistol.
    In the bag or pocket and it gets pulled (or fired) completely snagless. Tough triggers are for when you are at 120+BPM

4. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I agree. I want my revolvers to have exposed hammers.

To be fair though. I have said many times and still believe today, that the best handguns for social work are the LCR and the KAHR. They follow the K.I.S.S. principle. No hammers to cock, no safeties to disengage. To steal a phrase from the camera industry, point and shoot simple.

This thread has inspired me to carry a Ruger this week. I have been carrying the Taurus 692 with the 9mm cylinder installed. I think the little LCRX snubby will ride with me this week.
    76D8F111-9896-4BCC-9096-9552E340D67D.jpeg

Rifling82 and GMG2 like this.
  5. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

2 to 3 times a month....just sayin’

GMG2 likes this.
  6. GMG2

GMG2 Member

I'm an old fart and grew up with hammer guns 1911, S&W model 19 357 with a trigger job, sweet crisp single action and smooth as glass DA. I just can't get myself liking hammerless guns. The majority of hammerless semi autos I just can't get used to, at all. Way to much slack, way to much weight, way to much over travel. I totally ruin my sight picture fighting em.

I fully realize a self defense situation is most likely gonna be up close and last a few seconds. But I like options, and if there is time to cock the hammer I'm gonna cock it.

My wife is a non gun person. Never been around them much and hardly shot any. She can't work the slide on any of my semi autos despite many attempts. And like many novices just doesn't understand them. "Is it loaded now" no dear you have to chamber a round. Grabs magazine - "Is this the chamber?" no dear. Lets get you a revolver. But I'm not gonna start you off with a big heavy magnum.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The LCR rimfire trigger is not the same as the center fire trigger which is very good for a DAO.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  8. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I judge my "working" handgun by the Colt 1911 and the S&W Model 10. Hunting handguns are the T/C Contender and Ruger Blackhawk. Being a Ruger fanboy, that translates to SR1911 and SP101 to me. They both have hammers.

I do like my LCRX, and have no regrets, but if I were to buy it again, I would buy the DAO version, not on the 3" because it is a working handgun. The snubby only. Why? Because it fits into my view of "perfect for social work". Point and shoot simple. It has a good DAO trigger pull. Like the KAHR, you really can not stage it, you need to learn to just pull it through. FWIW, the KAHR is really the only striker fired pistol I like. It works like a hammer fired pistol though. I do own a couple of the American pistols which are striker fired. I tolerate them, but they are not my favorites.

GMG2 likes this.
  9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I was not thrilled about a 'plastic' revolver until I shot the Ruger. It has the best DA trigger I have ever used, and I used DA revolvers for 14+ years in LE. I would HIGHLY recommend it. I carry a S&W 642 when I carry the revolver, BUT that is becasue i sold my Ruger to a good friend. ;)

GMG2 likes this.
  10. Bcoffey1

Bcoffey1 New Member

Attached Files:

11. Bcoffey1

Bcoffey1 New Member

Attached Files:

12. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

I would pick my wife's underwear and bra before I'd pick her firearm.

Having said that, my wife LOVES her LCR 327. With her diminished hand strength, it's the one firearm she can reliably shoot, and she in the past has competed on a pretty regular basis.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Bcoffey- yes- what did you want to know? PS- think that is a .44, not .40

Better to start a fresh question in the right section.

14. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Told the ol lady about a used 638 at the LGS.

Has hammer, thats shielded