Ruger LCR or SP101

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Gojubrian, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'd like to get a revolver. Which one should I get?

It will be used at the range and for carry rotation. The LCR is lighter, but the sp101 can shoot .357's.

Thoughts??

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

It depends on how you'll be carrying it. Will the extra weight of the SP101 be noticeable and/or objectionable in your mode of carry? That's something you'll have to decide. Handle both and see which fits your hand better. Which 1 points more natural? The SP101 will shoot .38, .38+P, and 357. The LCR will shoot .38 & .38+P. Are you really set on .357 or will .38+P do the trick? You'll likely carry the LCR more due to it's lack of weight unless you have a good holster system.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy New Member

I love my sp101 . I like the ability to shoot the 357 and 38 rounds versus just 38.mine is the smooth hammer one that i can fit in my front pocket with an inside the pocket holster.

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I think you may like the Elsie Arrr. It is what all the cool people have. :D My wife loves hers. Cane seems to enjoy his, as do all the others that have one.
    Just look how lovely.
    [​IMG]

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Elsie Arrr!

[​IMG]

<1 pound loaded!

6. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Tough choice! I like 'em both. Own (shoot the living hell outta) the SP101 and have shot and really liked the LCR. So this one is a tough question for me especially because I don't know your body type or dress, but here it is.

I would choose the SP101 again because of it's strength. This thing is solid as a rock! I once dropped it on my bathroom floor after standing up from a ummmm. . . seated position and man, my poor floor! .38 specials in this thing feel like a .22 and .357s are very tolerable (Houge grip recommended). I can barely tell the difference between .38 and .38 +p. This is obviously due to the weight of the gun. The 101 is much heavier than the LCR, however, once you get used to carrying it you won't hardly feel it. The 101 is also an accurate little bugger and will take so much abuse. I love the extreme durability factor when choosing any firearm, but the LCR is no slouch.

The LCR is light to the point that you would probably not even feel it once you became accustomed to carrying it. We shot .38+p through my buddy's for hours and it just kept chewin' 'em up. Recoil is significantly more noticeable, but very tolerable. It has it's own charm to it. I will be adding one to my rotation as well by the summertime.

The main reason I like the SP101 over the LCR is because the ability to shoot .357s. We live, hike, camp in bear country and I carry hunting rounds in it while in the mountains (and it chews those up w/o a flinch). However, it only serves as a backup to the .44 mag.

As I say w/ every revolver "GET BOTH"

7. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Last time I was at the local gun store they had new SP101's chambered in .357MAG marked down to a very reasonable price. So I was looking hard at one. I like 'em, the feel is right, balance is correct, the wheel glides out when you slide the release. I like the low profile sights it had, won't get hung-up/snag when pulling it out in a hurry. If I remember correctly it had the 3" barrel. If I got the gun it was going to be an item I was going to keep in my truck. I figured a revolver would be the best firearm for a vehicle because they need less maintenance than a semi-auto pistol. I looked at it for a long time the owner of the store said he would drop the price even lower than the advertised special price. I probably should have bought it. I'll wait for the next sale...you just never know what awaits you.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Bud's lists the LCR at $398 out the door, SP101 in .357 Mag about $50 bucks more.

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

@ Bear - you're right about the weight being a determining factor for this one. It will most likely be for summer carry when the kimber is just too much. I'm leaning toward the LCR because of this.

@ Shihan - Yes, all the cool kids around here have one. I handled them both,but haven't shot either.

@ Cane- This is all your fault. How did you get the white logo and scribe? :p

@ Diggs- I do like them both and would like to have both. The question would probably be which one first? :cool:

@ Underfire- Have you shot the lcr?

@ Jpyle - I've seen them on gunbroker for $384!! The sp101's are considerable more. :cool:

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Sp 101

Got to shoot an LCR on Sunday...
    Owned an SP 101 for 4 years...

Both are nice, shootable, and reasonably accurate for thier purpose. Either would be a good choice.

My 101 seems to group +P .38 better than .357 Mag but I love the ability to UP load it, especially when I'm hiking or fishing in Cat country...and let's face it, by time you know you have a Cat problem your at contact distance anyway.

I understand weight is an issue but for CC purposes I'd suggest trying a belly band before going to a light weight gun. I'll admit, I looked down my nose at them for years and in the process aquired a $2000.00 holster collection.:eek:

I could have spent $45.00 on three different sizes of belly bands and packed much more comfortably. Aquiring the holsters was fun but I'd hindsight I'd rather have used that money to add a Less Baer to my collection.

Attached Files:

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's a nice one!

I have a crossbreed supertuck that holds my kimber comfortably, but sometimes I'd like something lighter and simpler.

I think the LCR will fit my bill for now and add a .357 later on.

All of my local shops were out except one who wanted $459 for an LCR. Looks like I might be buying my first online gun. :cool:

12. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I have.
    I shot from 40 feet at targets using a bench rest & free standing.
    Just to test how accurate street use would be. I was impressed with the tight 5 shot groups.
    The Hogue Rubber Grips help with a reduction in felt recoil, especially with the hot loads. The trigger pull is smooth and light for a pocket revolver. Making it easy to use it quickly & accurately. The trigger pull is soo smooth you would think it had a custom trigger job right out of the box. Talking to the Ruger Reps. the trigger system is engineered to minimize friction between the firing components.
    The LCR is a close-quarter defense gun intended for all day carry- no doubt about it!! I only have limited experience with a LCR because I don't own, I've only fired/tested one. If you want a better review I would get with owners like cane and the others to see what they have to say. :cool:

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

You can't go wrong with either. . . or any Ruger revolver for that matter. What I like about my 101 is that I can just throw it in the truck (in holster of course), get out and easily conceal in public for the day and if I forget a mallet while on a camping trip it is also useful for driving stakes in the ground. ;)

14. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

The SP101 trigger doesn't compare to the LCR, but I'm still going to get one eventually. I've already missed a special price of 440 bucks on one!! :(
    I just want to keep it in my truck. I'm not too worried about thief because I have an auto alarm that alerts me when a problem arises.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Gojo, do you have any revolvers right now? If not, I would highly suggest the SP101. You know you want a magnum and at least one 357 should be in every man's gun collection, I prefer several. The SP will do everything the LCR will do and then some. The only thing your going to lose with an SP is some weight. I have carried my SP and it feels no different then my Kimber. I can't use a clip like cane but then I don't dress like a hippie(it's not 70 on Christmas here either).

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Thanks Wes. I think I'll get the lcr first and the sp101 at a later date.

I still need to know how Cane got his logo white. :cool:

17. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I second that motion.

18. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I AGREE!!
    Especially since the SP101 has that feature that allows it to double as a forgotten mallet while camping, that diggs mentioned earlier. :p

19. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've seen people use white out or just a little white paint. Smear it across the lettering and wipe the excess off.

20. suprdave

suprdave New Member

I want to hear Cane admit that he did that. If he does, then I'll try it and take pics.