RUGER LCR-have you seen the video?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by themanbeau, Sep 21, 2009.

1. themanbeau

themanbeau New Member

Hey, Revolvomaniacs-:D

I was web skipping, and ran across this:

Ruger LCRâ„¢ - Video

Now, if only it was available in a 6-shot .327 version! (lustful thoughts :p)

Speaking of which-did you know you can (at least you COULD) email the Ruger President, with suggestions, from their website?

Your 2c?

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I can't imagine going looking for trouble in the dark with one of those. I can't imagine wanting a thirty two. Just not my cup of tea at all.

3. themanbeau

themanbeau New Member

Well-I never go looking for trouble, anyway; but you could fire this one through your pocket (if need by) if trouble CAME LOOKING for you!

By .32 I assume you refer to the .327 Magnum?

If so, to each his own-;)

4. themanbeau

themanbeau New Member

Ruger lcr...

Hello again, Virginian-:)

After some overnight 'brain work' I'd like to take this up, again.:D

Yes, the LCR is so 'unremarkable':p (my word) that every revolver
    maker at S.H.O.T. will have a prototype (or at least tell attendees
    they're working on one) polymer-frame revolver, minus the patented
    internals. Also, look for Ruger to quickly offer a GP-100 style version,
    soon. I didn't read this anywhere, I am prognosticating. As will Smith,
    as soon as they can figure out how to 'clone' it, as Ruger did (after
    all, turnabout is fair play) with the LCP, and the Kel-Tec.

Glock should have developed a 'perfection'? :eek:revolver design like
    this 10-15 years ago, but since they got fat off their autos, why
    bother? If they had (in a duty size/style) they most probably would
    own 70% of the police/security market, instead of only 50 (or so, of
    late). Same with the SU-16 they've never produced, and probably
    never will. Now, Mr. Bill's company has beat them to the marketing
    punch, which basically came out of nowhere, although I know Ruger
    spent much time and money in R&D on this. If anyone would have
    tried to guess a year-or-two-ago which of the majors could pull this
    off, I doubt anyone would have picked Ruger. Very well-done, indeed.
    :) (bravo!, with clapping heard in the gallery).

My perspectives-

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I looked at one very closely this weekend and it was OK. It was offered at a real good price but I chose a J frame S&W instead. I think the LCR is a good engineering effort and good gun - but it's not for me. Nice trigger though...

6. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

I really don't see a need for a 357 in a 2" snub. From what I hear your really not getting much more energy out of a 357 than a 38+p in a 2" barrel, just more noise and flash. I got a 38 s&w airweight and has plenty of snap. I would imagine the 357 would get a little uncomfortable after a few rounds.

7. themanbeau

themanbeau New Member

Ruger lcr...

I don't either-which is why I didn't mention one. :confused: If you mean the reference to the GP-100, that is a Model 19/66-sized 4" large-framed, duty-type weapon, suitable for police or security carry.

Another 2 'coppers'-

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  8. David26

David26 New Member

from what I have been told it not so much the wieght of the gun that makes it good being i dont think u can feel much diff. between the Lcr and smith's 442 but the Lcr is supost to have a great trigger pull.

9. themanbeau

themanbeau New Member

Ruger lcr...

Correct-it is the polymer frame (and modular internal trigger group) which sets it apart; just as Glock-in the early 80's, in automatics.

Thanks for reply- :)

10. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I got one last week and I really like it. I have only put 50 rounds through it though.. I didn't buy it for a range gun but if I'm gonna carry it I wanna be proficient with it.
    The trigger is great !! It carries very well due to its weight and size. and its rated for plus p ammo.. Not sure if the smith is ??

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Aesthetically, I find steel Smith J frames more appealing, but I would definitely get an LCR if they were for sale in my country. It might not be a looker, but it seems well thought out for its intended use, I'd love one for the hot, tropical summer months down here.

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I bought an LCR about 2 months ago. I've shot about 200 rounds through it, and it's a great revolver for concealed carry. I carry mine in my front pocket in an Uncle Mike's #4 holster. My ammo for carry is Winchecter JHP, +P, and occasionally I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

I also have a Taurus 85 Ultra Lite. It too is carried occasionally, using the same ammo.

I like both revolvers but the LCR is a little smoother. However, I also like the SA mode of the Taurus...

Attached Files:

13. operator0

operator0 New Member

A bunch of people say this, but the facts don't agree.

According to Ballistics by the inch a snub nose shooting Cor Bon's hot 125gr .38 load will achieve a velocity of 854ft/s. The same Cor Bon ammo in .357 runs at 1257ft/s.

.38 = 202 ft/lbs of force

.357 = 438 ft/lbs of force

I'm quite sure that most .357 rounds will substantially outperform most .38 rounds. If you happen to find a comparison that has the .38 even or ahead ballistically of the .357 in any barrel length, then that's either a .357 charge in a .38 case or vice-verse.

14. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I am getting the feeling most people did not grow up where they could step out the back door and shoot a 22 by the age of 8. Or that everybody else no longer grew up playing cowboys and indians, but gangstas or whatever. I am reminded of Crocodile Dundee. "That's not a knife." Well, maybe not quite that bad.
    "That's almost not a gun." I think I'll keep the Rugers I have.

15. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

That wouldn't be correct.
    We had a 100 yard range off our back patio. I was shooting a 30 06 at 7, and a 300 H&H Magnum at 12. I have a large collection of auto loaders and revolvers. And yes, I have an LCR & UltraLite as depicted in the upper photos. So, what's your problem?

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

* snot bubble *

17. Trocar

Trocar New Member

I own both the S&W 642, and the Ruger LCR. The Ruger is a far superior pistol in my opinion. I bought the LCR w/CT grips for my Fiancee, and ended up toting it a little myself. I don't even mess with the 642 anymore. The trigger on the LCR is magnificent.

18. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Someone please educate me on the LCR trigger pull. I understand the engineering and concept of the new trigger. I think ruger is on to something. I just haven't pick one up just because I think it is uglier than sin. I have a smith airweight and might be a little bias. I like the heavier trigger pull on my carry weapons and like to hear the two clicks just before the hammer falls. Sell me on the LCR. What is it that makes it so great. Is the trigger smoother? Does the trigger have less pull than the smith? What???

I do not want this turn into a battle of preferences of smiths and rugars. I like and own both. I just want to know if the LCR is worth having in my collection, despite it's uglyness. ;)

19. David26

David26 New Member

Thinking all the newer smith .38's are rated for +p ammo

20. Trocar

Trocar New Member

I believe that it is definitely worth owning. You can put a little work into it and pretty it up if you're proficient with a dremel tool. I'm not certain as to what they did, but i can tell you that it has a better trigger pull than any other revolver i have ever owned. It just feels good.