Ruger LCP updated

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by CipsterX, Apr 28, 2012.

1. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Have 200 rounds through her with no problems except for the guide rod spring which IMO is too weak for this gun causing the slide to get stuck back when holstered, as well as the spring being too loose fitting around the guide rod.

Solution:

Just placed an order for a 13lb. Spring set from Wolff Gunsprings and I am sure and or hope it will eliminate these very minor issues that the stock 9lb. spring is giving me. Ruger says its normal I don't think so. lol

2. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

I know my P89 had this problem sent it on they told me normal I beg to differ but they are the experts.

3. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

It's not that big a deal I was going to order extra springs anyhow and decided with the heavier gauge ones. I hear rumors that Ruger only used the 9lb was so females would have an easier time racking the slide.?. Sounds kinda sexist to me lol

I also added a BT premium guide rid for this spring set

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As with any other recoil spring, going too heavy can create other problems.

5. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Well the LCP already has problems that are minor that I want fixed. The slide sticking back and the scoring on the guide rod and excessive peening causing the stock spring to overcome it.

Ruger says its normal and that's fine but the Wolff spring kit and BT guide rod eliminate these minor issues without damaging the frame in fact they help with recoil and cycling. The cost was $13 for the spring and the new rod was $20 dollars.

I hear Ruger will send out new springs and guide rods for nothing but I just want a guide rod that will last longer and made with better material as well as a stronger spring.

Cheers

This guy is having the same problem as me and Ruger says its normal

The wolff spring corrects this on all LCP's

Check out this video on YouTube:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lp1cS74M2A&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Just got my Wolff 13lb recoil springs in the mail today and my BT guide rod in on the way I'm going to install them together.

7. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

image-2605075648.jpg

New 13lb spring kit and bt guide rod

8. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

Might have to try this on my P89

9. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Both are excellent products both from PA.

10. danolator

danolator New Member

My LCP has performed well after the first couple boxes of rounds, but I noticed the spring was beginning to overlap the blunt end of the guide rod while cleaning it? Is this what you are talking about? Ruger should fix that issue if it's defective.

11. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

That and the gouging and peening that happens to the stock guide rod. Anther issue is the slide getting stuck back when a round is chambered. The stock set up 9lb spring and factory rod cause these problems. The wolff spring kit and BT Guide rod fixed all my problems it's like night and day. Very happy LCP owner

Attached Files: