Ruger LCP-not your grandmaws pocket pistol

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by stalkingbear, Dec 30, 2008.

1. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Everybody here KNOWS I'm a dyed in the wool .45acp and 1911 platform man. So while I still DON'T consider ANY .380 enough gun for PRIMARY carry gun, the .380 is an perfect backup gun to my carry gun, especially with the new ammo recently brought out for it (Hornady Critical Defense seeming the best from the limited testing we've done). Having had a couple Ruger LCPs in the shop, my wife happened to see them and wanted 1. Naturally I ordered her 1 right away. Well, I broke down and got 1 for myself soon after. So far, I'm extremely impressed with the tiny lil Ruger LCP. Ruger seems to have addressed some of the issues of Kel-Tecs such as reliability/quality problems, while still retaining the exact same size. So far, we've ran about 600 rounds collectively through them without the 1st malfunction of any kind. Another thing that suprized me is their accuracy. They're not meant to win a match, but at 7 yards, it's easy to keep all shots inside 3"-even rapid fire groups stay well within the vital zone.

The need for a small light 2nd gun was brought to my attention a several years ago in an altercation where if it hadn't been for my wife having her carry gun on her person, I MAY not be here now. I had forgotten the 1st MAIN rule to winning a gunfight-HAVING a gun. Sure I had a good carry gun out in the car, but it was hard to conceal in summer so I left it in the car while we were in resturant. Back then if it wasn't an full size 1911,I wouldn't carry it. I swore right then to NEVER again be without a carry gun. Since then, not only have my main carry guns shrank, they've also became lighter-they went on an serious diet. It makes no sense to me to carry a gun that's so heavy/bulky that I'm tempted to leave it in car or at home. The Ruger LCP is so light, tiny, and easy to conceal, I pack it in my pocket just like keys, billfold, and pocket knife ALWAYS. I still carry a 3" barreled .45, but now I have the extra confidence of having a backup gun-JUST IN CASE. After all, if we could choose the time/place we HAD to defend ourselves, we wouldn't be there in the 1st place.

2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Do you have any information for the people out there that are wondering about the LCP recall status?

I know they are working on fixing the problem with the LCPs, but it seems everywhere these things are on back order due to the extreme demand for these little pocket sidearms.

I am also looking to purchase one soon. I plan on purchasing a Ruger P345 and a Ruger LCP to go along with it.

One more question. How's the DA trigger pull on the LCP? Is it about on par with the Kel-Tec or a little smoother?

3. stalkingbear

The trigger is on a par with the Kel-tec-heavy with noticable stackup, but smooth. As to the recall status I'm registered but havn't recieved the shipping box/instructions yet. The Kel-tec and Ruger both feature the exact same basic design "flaw" if you will, but only Ruger is big enough to admit there's a potential problem and willing to do anything about it. BEFORE you Kel-tec owners get out the rope for me-I HAVE compared both side by side-INSIDE and outside, as well as disassembly of both, and Kel-tec has the same reason for recall as Ruger is offering.

4. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

Stalking Bear,

I'm a 1911 guy too. I bought my LCP with the intention of being able to ALWAYS have it with me where legal. I had a minor issue feeding a couple types of JHPs. I did a very minor polish and now it eats everything. I probably have ~1200 rounds through it. Mine shoots great too, even better after Ruger's recall work.

As for recall status. I filled out the online form the 1st of Nov. and got my box the 15th of Dec. One week later, new hat, new mag and repaired gun. Quick as could be expected and very polite to group to deal with.

Not a great primary gun, but far better than a pointy stick and quick wit.

5. itruns

itruns New Member

exact same basic design "flaw"

Just wondering what is the design flaw that the Keltecs share... You mentioned a new mag, but no details on the gun itself.... I only have about 250 rounds though the PF9...Zero failures so far, but I just received my DT 9mm ammo to try.
    I bought it for the same reason you did, but for me 9mm+P is the minimum I will trust... Details please?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  6. stalkingbear

The design flaw Kel-Tecs share with 1st generation Ruger LCPs is if they are dropped, they MAY discharge if dropped exactly right angle/position. This pertains to the .32,and .380 models that I know of.

My Ruger LCP .380 is my backup gun to my "pocket" sized .45 ONLY.

7. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

My grammah carries one but

Shes got little hands and perfers it over my carry which fits my fat hands nicely
    [​IMG]

8. gglass

gglass New Member

The Kel-Tec P-3AT did in fact have the same hammer-block issue as the first run of Ruger LCPs. The difference is that Ruger decided to issue a very expensive recall in the interest of correcting a "potential" safety issue, and Kel-Tec just made an in-line change to their manufacturing process... Leaving all affected P-3ATs on the street and no recourse for customers.

The part that really bugs me is that so many people will smear the reputation of Ruger for doing the right thing, and even go out of their way to defend the honor of Kel-Tec. It makes not sense to me.

Before you flame me with the whole Ruger copied Kel-Tec argument, just remember that Kel-Tec had no real or intellectual property to copy.

Here is the sum total of enforceable patents held by Kel-Tec...

Kel-Tec CNC Industries patents:
    1 D527,788 Foldable bayonet
    2 6,928,764 Grip extender for handgun

Ruger currently holds around 100 enforcable patents

My old P-3AT collects dust in a sock drawer, while I never leave the house without my LCP.
    [​IMG]

9. gglass

gglass New Member

Oops! Double post.

Hmmm... Maybe I could take this opportunity to flame myself!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  10. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I'd buy one if they were legal in MA. They seem like nice little pocket pistols.

11. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I'm happy with my P3AT. The LCP wasn't available at the time I was buying.

12. stalkingbear

Update-I sent my LCP back for recall and got it back exactly 7 calendar days later. It came complete with the nice ball cap & the extra magazine. It functions exactly the same, and when field stripped, can tell no difference. Just thought I would let yall know that when you send them back for recall, Ruger pays for shipping/insurance both ways, and their customer service is excellent-same as I expect from Ruger.

I think I'll give the ball cap to my buddy since I don't want to advertise having a pocket rocket, as then the "bad guys" would then KNOW I'm carrying if they know what a Ruger or LCP is.

13. Win73

Win73 Member

The first time I fired my LCP, I had a few malfunctions out of 3 or 4 magazines. The second time (and so far the last) I fired seven magazines through it without a malfunction. And the seventh magazine was a mixture of brands and bullet types that a friend gave to me after he traded off a .380 he had. One of those rounds was almost a squib. In fact the sound and recoil was so much less than any of the others, that I stopped shooting, unloaded the gun and checked the barrel for a stuck bullet. There was none so I put the magazing back in and finished it off.

Can anyone tell me how to tell if my gun has been recalled?

14. stalkingbear

Win73-if you have a serial # prefix of "370-" it is subject to recall. You can tell if it's already been recalled if it has a diamond shaped stamp on frame looking down on it right behind hammer, inside hammer relief.

15. mrasgt

mrasgt New Member

Lcp

I got one of the first LCP's when they came out. I put several hundred rounds down range, all makes no problems. Recall: out the door and back 10 days.

Another couple of hundred rounds-all makes, no malfunctions. Ruger is a honorable, up front American company, great to deal with.

16. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Bear, two thumbs up on the Ruger LCP. I sold a LCP to a law enforcement officer last week and he brought it to the range this morning. At 21 feet he had seven in the head of a Center Fire Defender target. The jacketed ammo shot fine, although, he experienced some problems with hollow point ammunition. Now for the best part, he let me rattle off a clip and it fired flawless. I think I'm filling out the forms tomorrow.

17. stalkingbear

Glad to hear you like it! Let us know when you get 1 and give us a range report.

18. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I just want to add that using a small white light will help you find that "diamond shaped stamp". It is hard to see...or at least I had trouble seeing it.

If your LCP has a prefix of "371" the problem has been fixed by the mfg. before the dealer received it. I remember when my local dealer had 150 of these guns and sold them in 3 days. The price at the time was $329. When I called about one they had two left. By the time I got to the dealer they were gone. :mad: Since then I've seen them at dealers, gun shows, etc. for $499.
    I expect the price to go up again.

When I had a second chance to buy the LCP, I opted for the Kahr P.380, comparing the two side-by-side the Kahr felt better in my hand and I prefered the barrel sights of the Kahr over Ruger. Plus I'm more familiar with the break-down of Kahr's P series handguns.

What I like the most of these small framed pistols is that when you slide them in your pocket they disappear totally.:cool: