Ruger LCP and .380 ammo

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Jesse17, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

OK, I think I've decided to go with the Ruger LCP for my next gun, which will be my CCW, at least to start with. I just have a couple more question...

Is the LCP a simi-auto, in that once I rack it all I have to do is touch the trigger, or is it a stiff trigger double action?

About about .380 ammo...I have no experience with the caliber. I actually vowed to never own one, but I've decided that a pop-gun in my pocket always is better than a cannon left in the car. So I'm wondering what y'all would recommend. I want to buy bulk, and use the same thing at the range as I carry with, so the cheapest RELIABLE brand is what I'll be using (until I get my reloading stuff out of storage) but I'm wondering about penetration.

I think for feeding reliability and expansion I would go with SJHP, but I'm wondering about the low power round penetrating winter clothing. Would FMJ be better?

I hate the idea of using FMJ and just punching a little hole in a bad guy, but on the other hand I hate the idea of using a HP and having it clog up with winter coat before it gets to the bad guy.

What do you guys recommend? Also, any pros or cons about the LCP would be appreciated. Cabelas has LCP w/2 mags and holster for $349 right now, so I'm thinking I should jump on it.:confused:

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'd first recommend that you put your hands on one. I assume that your question about the trigger means you haven't played with the trigger.

3. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

So...you're saying you don't know the answer, but wanted to post??

Thank you for that, whatever that was.

I kind of intended to handle it before I buy it, but usually have an item pretty much picked out before going to the store...this little miracle called the internet ya know.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

It is a semi-auto. You load a magazine, insert the magazine, and rack the slide to chamber a round. Now you press the trigger until the slide locks back.

How about mixing what you carry?

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Yes I know. It's a long DA trigger pull. Now go play with it and see what you think.

6. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

That's an idea, but I'm trying to avoid it. I'm starting to get so many different types of ammo around here that it's hard to keep straight.

It's an option though, that's what I do now with the 38 I carry while geocaching. I load # 1 and 3 with bird shot, 2, 4, & 5 with SWC. I figure that way I'm good to go if I run into snake, cat, or bad guy. But, with a daily carry I think I want to just keep it simpler and stick to one general purpose round.

Scott, sorry if I snapped at you. I wanted to do some shooting today but spent the whole day doing other chores. That combined with 11 days without a cigarette and I'm a little on edge.:eek:

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger LCP and keep it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense factory ammo. You don't have to worry about clothing stopping up the hollow point with Critical Defense. I plink with whatever brand FMJ I can find cheap as I don't reload for .380. As to the LCP trigger, you'll easily get used to it as you practice.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

im a big bersa thunder fan. might look at those. they feel better than the ruger to me. i user corbon powerball ammo atm but im not convinced its as good as claimed. however it was the only defense ammo in 380 last time i bought some :/

my pref is the heaviest bullet that will function in my defensive guns.

as for the ruger i havent personally fired one they are far too small for me to feel comfy with. i find the controls very small and hard to manipulate.

9. oldmarine

oldmarine New Member

I own a lcp and they are a joke. I would look at a tarus slim they are small and can get in 9mil or 40. they shot good and easy to carry

10. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

FWIW, I'm in the "FMJ in .380 for SD" camp. Love my reliable little LCP. I've said it before and'll probably say it again... I really like the 10-rd. ProMag on my LCP... and carry it that way (IWB with an untucked shirt or jacket). That thin mag provides a nice handle. The 4 extra rounds makes me feel considerably better about packing a .380... I just gave it another nice workout at the range 3 days ago... flawless... surprisingly accurate for it's size despite the fact it's sights are minimal. Yeah, I carry 9 & .45 & .357 sometimes but when I feel like easy and light, Elsie is a great go-to IMHO. It is what it is.

PS: One little con to know about is that the slide doesn't lock back after the last round is fired (like most autos do). This doesn't bother me, I just mention it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  11. cmhill

cmhill New Member

if your not satisfied with the trigger on the ruger check into a keltec, i have both and the trigger on the keltec is not as long,

12. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Ruger LCP

Jesse17: Sir, I realize different parts of the country prices are sometimes a wide span.

Ruger LCP in and around the Charlotte, NC, SC, Tenn. $289.00 as a median

They were as much? $389, things have calmed lots.

Yes, fwiw, I have one, Saw them priced at the last gunshows, at one gunshop. Shop around if you can

13. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Just stopped at both my local gun shops. It was $319 at one and and $329 at the other, and that's with only 1 mag. I've seen $289 online with free shipping, but that's gonna be just as high after the dealers transfer fee.

I don't think I'll find a better deal than Cabelas.

The one thing stopping me now is the gun. It seemed pretty clumsy to me, but I guess that's what $300 buys. Is the barrel suppose to wiggle around when the slide is in the rear position?

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My daughter has a Elsie Pea and I hate to shoot it for two reasons.

1. The color.

[​IMG]

2. The recoil. It's a great little gun, just not fun to shoot.

I shot utf59's Walther PPK/S and if I'm ever in the market for a .380, that's the one I'll get.

15. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Yep... Standard for this type of auto action.

16. ballfan4141

ballfan4141 New Member

I only use fmj ammo in my ruger lcp. no matter how much hollow point ammo talks about how it is self defense the caliber has to be at least 9mm. I got all fmjs now it my magazines accept for a promag 10 round because its the only ammo I have that works right.

17. Polygon

Polygon New Member

For defensive rounds I use Hornaday Critical Defense in my Kel-Tec which is essentially the same gun. For range ammo I just stick with good brands. Avoid using any +P rounds in it. Also, I would be wary about reloads.

I also don't advocate carrying it with FMJ. You want to make sure the bullet stops inside the BD. The last thing you want is a through and through hitting an innocent person. You should have NO penetration issues at 12 yards.

18. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

From watching the Hornady's video for their Critical Defense Ammo it looks like the problem with HP clogging is just the opposite of not getting enough penetration. When they clog they don't expand and they act just like FMJ and over penetrate. I think I'm pretty much sold on Hornady's Critical Defense ammo for whatever CCW I end up with.

After playing with the LCP I don't know if it's the one for me. I would love to get something that size, but it seems so darn cheaply made. I'm still leaning toward it, but I want to play with the Bersa Ultra Compact .45ACP first, as well as fondle any similar guns at the shop.

19. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I can understand that. You really do get what you pay for. My dad has an LCP and I don't care for it. I have a Kel-Tec P3AT which has a lot of short comings. But I can't really complain considering what I paid for it. However, I would say that I feel it's a better built gun than the LCP.

That being said, I recently bought a Kahr P380 to replace it. I would highly suggest it if you want something in that size. It's twice the price of an LCP or P3AT but it is really twice the gun. If you want a slightly larger caliber take a look at the PM9 from Kahr. It's not that much bigger than the P380. I almost wish I had gotten one of those instead.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

20. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Well, I took the plung. The wife called and said Cabelas was having a 4 hr. sale today. So I called them and got the LCP with 2 mags and a pocket holster for $309. I think that was a good deal.:)

I guess I'll give it the ol 500 rd tryout before I decide if I like the gun or not.

Now it's gonna kill me all week waiting for a day off to go pick it up.:mad: