Ruger LC9s now in hand

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ScottA, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Just picked this up today:

[​IMG]

Only had the opportunity to dry-fire it today. The trigger feels great, much shorter than the LC9 and crisp. I'll be taking it to the range this weekend.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Congratulations .
    I have one in jail still waiting lol

3. ScottA

[​IMG]

My friends groups at 7 yards. We were shooting Remington FMJ, Ultramax lead, Perfecta FMJ, and Tul steel case.

Mine opened up a little more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

so what are your impressions of the new pistol?

5. ScottA

My first impressions are Ruger has hit a home run with this pistol. This is what Remington was hoping to build with the R51 but couldn't.

The trigger is outstanding. It is very crisp, short take up, and breaks cleanly without undue effort. Ruger says it breaks around 5.5 pds, I would guess that is pretty accurate. There is no grittyness to it at all. How they were able to put that trigger in a $350 pistol is quite an accomplishment.

It feels pretty good in the hand. It's thin and it feels that way, but it doesn't necessarily have that wood block feel that so many of the really thin pistols wind up with. The grip curves well to fill my hand. I may look for some aftermarket grip modification, but I'm in no hurry.

The sites are standard 3-dot and have a low profile. They are easy pick up when you present the pistol. Both front and rear sites are dovetailed, and the rear site is driftable.

The pistol shoots softer than my Kahr. The Kahr really wants to jump around in my hands when firing it. I didn't find that with the LC9s. But I guess my groups are really the testament to that. I was shooting groups half the size with the Ruger as compared to the Kahr.

The pistol comes with one 7-round magazine. That would probably be my only real complaint. I would pay another $20 for another magazine, but I guess they had to find somewhere to keep the cost as low as they did.

When I replaced my Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 earlier this year with the Kimber Micro 380, I quickly decided I wanted to replace my Kahr as well. I have moved from long DAO triggers in my carry pistols to much shorter and crisper SAO triggers. Originally, I thought I wanted to replace the Kahr PM9 with a Sig P938. But even with selling the Kahr, the $700 for the Sig wasn't something I was looking forward to. Then I heard about the LC9s. Hickock45 was not kidding when he raved about the trigger on this gun. It is that good, and it is a great replacement for my PM9 at half the price.

6. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I wanted an lc9 but held out because I was crossing my fingers they would listen to their customers and make a striker fired version with a better trigger. I got excited when I heard they DID! Glad to hear from someone who bought one and is satisfied.

7. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Member

I sold my LC9 a little while back having given up on getting a Galoway trigger for it (always seem to be out of stock). Now I'm glad I did; I'll have to put one of these on my list now.

8. ScottA

I forgot to mention that we put 200 rounds through it with zero issues. No failures of any kind.

My friend Dale who was shooting with me this morning indicated he was interested in my Kahr earlier in the week. I asked him this morning if he was still interested. His response pointing at the Ruger "Not after shooting that."

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well Scott, it sounds like you scored a winner. glad to hear you enjoyed it. :D

10. ScottA

One thing I've found that I don't care for... the magazine release is too sensitive. It pops the magazine if I carry it in my pocket.

I was at a LGS the other day for a separate reason and mentioned the problem. The gunsmith suggested putting a stiffer mag release spring in. I took it into him yesterday to see what he can do. I'll pick it up later this week.

11. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  12. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

13. stag556

stag556 New Member

If I read this correctly, the one you bought is the double action, not the striker fired, correct? So two different guns.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The gun in the PSA advertisement is not a striker fired pistol.

The LC9® is a double-action-only, hammer-fired, locked-breech pistol with a smooth trigger pull. Control and confident handling of the Ruger LC9 are accomplished through reduced recoil and aggressive frame checkering for a positive grip in all conditions. The Ruger LC9 features smooth "melted" edges for ease of holstering, carrying and drawing.

15. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Ya I got the lc9s for 299$ and it is living up to all the hyper.happy happy

16. ccase39

ccase39 Member

So after reading your review I canceled my LC9 and ordered an LC9s. I will gladly pay an extra 50 bucks for a better trigger.
    The main reason I am getting it in the first place is because I HATE the trigger on my Bodyguard.

17. ScottA

You are going to love it compared to either.

18. ScottA

So the LC9s was dropping magazines. It was a bit annoying and unwanted, particularly in a carry gun. So I sent it to Ruger after a gunsmith agreed the mag release was too touchy as well.

I can't say enough good things about Ruger customer service. They are very courteous and turned around the pistol in quick order. Got the gun back with a much stiffer mag release and I'm having zero problems. From their description, it appears they changed out almost everything below the slide. I guess better safe than sorry on their part.

Good job Ruger!

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good to hear that Ruger fixed the problem, Scott. From my reading over the last couple weeks the weak magazine release has been a common problem. I think the new LC9ses shipping today have a stiffer mag release, at least my new one did. It seems positive but it'll take a lot of rounds down the barrel to confirm that.

BTW, in case anyone is interested, I just found a hard to find video on removing the LC9s magazine disconnect and thought I'd drop the link here. The other videos out there I've seen are for the older LC9 which is done much differently. I guess you could call the new gun the LC9s Semi PRO!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4WYcnE2yCM[/ame]