Ruger LC9 - 9mm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by galapogos, May 8, 2012.

1. galapogos

galapogos New Member

Anyone have one ?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

^ What he said! I'm also interested in this pistol.

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I don't have an LC9, but I've shot one.

Good gun. I worked one out a bit before I bought my S&W M&P Shield about 3 weeks ago. I liked the trigger on the Shield quite a bit more and it just performs like a bigger gun for me. But I would prefer either of them to the Kel-Tec PF9 (have one) or Kahr CW9 (have shot one).

For a sub-$500 micro 9mm, the S&W Shield and Ruger LC9 are #1 and #2 respectively, in my book. But I've yet to shoot the Kahr CM9. The Sig, Beretta, and Diamondback micro 9mms don't really interest me.

4. marc29th

marc29th Member

I've got one. Any specific questions? I like it, it did take a little getting used to for the double action only. But it is my everyday carry gun now.

ForumRunner_20120508_190523.jpg

5. marc29th

marc29th Member

The only other quirk is that after inserting a new mag you have to pull back slightly on the slide to rack it, kind of like my P64. I got used to the DAO and slide pretty quick. Shoots everything I put through it with no problems at all in 1000 +/- rounds. At 9/10 of an inch it conceals very easy and with 7+1 9mm has enough for any encounter that I think is likely (I also carry a spare mag). It only comes with one mag so you'll need to pick ip a 2nd one $35ish.

6. marc29th

marc29th Member

More thoughts... the LC9 has good 3 dot sights and a thumb safety.

7. fstkmaro

fstkmaro New Member

Nice handgun. I have super sized hands and can shoot it pretty accurately to 25ft. As mentioned before you have to pull the slide to get it to feed after loading a mag. The version I have is the one that comes with the crimson trace laser grip. Once sighted it is dead on. It is small for my hands so it has a bit of a kick. I feel the trigger is a bit grainy when compared to my BG380 pistol. I find it a bit too big to be a pocket pistol but with the versacarry holster it is not too bad.
    Anyways, excellent addition to a collection. I find it sophistiicated and with real sights as opposed to the sig models :)

8. galapogos

galapogos New Member

Been looking at them.

That particular handgun is VERY smooth which makes putting into and pulling it out of a holster VERY easy. What I mean is that it has practically no squared edges to snag. It's all very rounded and like aerodynamic?

Also, it's really light weight and compact so it's seems very easy and comfortable to conceal.

I saw a video where one of the better known review experts got one directly from Ruger and he was doing really good hitting 12 inch targets at over 50ft. I thought that was impressive for such a small gun although I'm sure many can do better if not as good.

Seems like an ideal CCW weapon if comfort and hide ability while still having considerable effectiveness are the goal.

9. AOK

AOK New Member

I recently puchased a a Kahr CM9. I tried and considered the LC9. Very nice gun. The main reasons I chose the CM9 over the LC9 is primarily I like the Kahr trigger better and it was easier to draw if I pocket carry it as a BUG. I like the LC9 (and the Shield) but they just weren't the right guns for me.

10. Cshooter

Cshooter Member

Whats the size difference of the LC9 compared to the shield?

11. Dans-d-fence

Dans-d-fence New Member

I have one. I like it, but I am going to get a trigger fix for it soon. I have the LaserMax on the gun. It's a great addition.

12. Westy

Westy New Member

Pretty much the same for me. I was looking at one but bought a Kahr CW9 instead.

13. lucznik

lucznik New Member

They are virtually identical. Different styling but, same size. I might have gone for the LC9 but, I can't stand DAO triggers.

I picked up a Shield-9 last weekend and so far I like it a lot. My only quibble is that I don't care for the 8 round magazine. I'd much rather just have two of the 7 rounders.

14. stwagner1990

stwagner1990 New Member

Ive got an lc9 for my carry gun, it's small compact and a great shooter! It has a long trigger pull that takes a little getting used too but other than that I have no complaints! The break down is extremely simple and the adjustable sites are great to site it in just how you like.

15. bradford027

bradford027 New Member

The lc9 is a nice pistol. I personally went with the kahr cm9 because i didnt want a safety.

16. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

I just bought the LC9 a couple weeks ago as my first handgun owned in over 20 years. I wanted something I could cc, and after reading tons of reviews, and looking at lots of options, the LC9 won out.

The trigger pull is long, but knowing that going in, it doesn't take long to get used to. A cheap and easy trigger fix is out there and probably in my near future.

Just had my first range session with it yesterday, and was very very happy with the performance. I put about 100 rounds down range at distances of 5-15 yards. For a compact ccw, the accuracy was impressive right out of the box. I think I had 2 rounds off paper at 15 yds(and that was shooter error). I was able to keep the groups inside 6"-8" without any adjustments. More than acceptable for the task it's designed for.

The gun does kick like a bigger calibre, but that's not really an issue once you know it's coming. With the mag extension and a Pachmyar slip on grip, it was super comfy an easy to handle.

Overall an excellent choice in its category. Definitely happy with it in my hands!

17. northhike

northhike New Member

Here are my thoughts on the Ruger LC9......

I own a few 9mm with the Smith and Wesson M&P (Full size) being my favorite. The M&P for spring/summer wear is just to big so I purchased the LC9. I read the reviews on the LC9....took it with a grain of salt then experienced it for myself.

Its a small 9mm specifically meant for CC and short range situations so if you are expecting little to no recoil and a great target gun you are out of luck. Yes...it has a long trigger pull which does take a few shots to get used to, but once you have it down I did not find it difficult, inaccurate or concerning. In fact I ate a nice tight hole in center mass. There are conversion kits avialble to shorten the trigger pull, but its not enough of a problem to warrant me changing the trigger and spending more money.

I was personally surprised at how accurate and reliable the gun was. No F2F and she ate all the ammo I gave her. You need to have a good grip (you should anyway for shooting any pistol), but it is especially important in small hand guns or you will have F2F problems. This should not be your first hand gun nor should any small pocket size gun. This is not the perfect gun for the wife or significant other if she is not proficient with hand guns already. Small gun and a lot of power = jumpy. ;)

I personally enjoy shooting the Ruger LC9 and for me its a great carry gun....very pleased. The price is right, its good quality,hides well with lighter clothing and has plenty of power. Smith and Wesson also came out with a similar gun called "The Shield" in 9mm. The Sheild has a shorter trigger pull and retails for around $449 which is pretty good as well. The LC9or the Sheild....flip a coin they are both great CC guns for the experienced user. Lots of great CC guns to choose from these days! Have fun! :D

18. Hammy

Hammy New Member

Love mine. Ammo cheap. Use hollow points for home protection. Very accurate at 75 feet targets. sure I can hit trouble at 10 feet. Easy to break down and reassemble. Wish I got one with a laser. Would have been nice for dry fire practice. Comfortable to CC with IWB holster.

MA Hammer

19. surveyor

surveyor New Member

I was on the fence between the lc9 and the Taurus 709 slim. They both fit my hand well and size wise were similar. The problems I had with the Ruger were that the gun shop said magazines were hard to find and I wasn't to fond of the magazine out no fire safety. Anyway for $30 more bucks I went with the 709 slim in stainless as opposed to the blued lc9. Both are fine handguns. The 709 carries well and has eaten whatever ammo I've fed it. It too is a 7+1 with a second magazine.

20. danolator

danolator New Member

I like my LC9, but the springs and guide rod barcode suspect after 500 rounds or so. Will be investing in upgrades for both because this is such an easy gun to conceal.