Ruger Gunsite vs. Savage Scout

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TheRicho1, Feb 17, 2013.

1. TheRicho1

TheRicho1 New Member

I poked around a bit and didn't see a thread on this topic. I apologize in advance if this a "dead horse".

I'm in the market for a SHTF rifle and I'm pretty much set on the simplicity / reliability of a bolt action. Also, the idea of something in a NATO caliber seems like a no brainer - even though .308 is a real pain to find in NY with this bologna gun legislation recently passed.

What do you guys know about the Ruger Gunsite and the Savage Model 10FCM rifles? Also, please don't recommend the Steyr Scout unless you plan on floating me a loan. :)

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Well the Ruger has larger magazines and a flash hider, the Savage will probably be more accurate with a better trigger. Basically it's between synthetic stock with a smaller mag or a wood stock with a larger mag. For SHTF I would go with the Ruger. Oh and the Savage costs less.

3. TheRicho1

TheRicho1 New Member

Yeah, the Ruger comes stock with a 10 round magazine and the Savage has a 4 round. However, I know Savage makes a 9 round magazine for the Scout so that kind of evens things up. As far as the flash hider goes, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I'm curious about the iron sights on the two - anyone have experience with them and can offer their take?

4. longunner

longunner New Member

I don't have any personal experience with the gunsite but I've watched hickok45's video about it and he's always spot on....to tell you the truth he's the reason that I want one lol, couldn't find one in stock ANYWHERE though for anything less than msrp. Let us know what your decision is.

5. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

I'd totally snatch up the Ruger gunsite if I found one, looks to be a perfect all-around big cal bolt action, I love the system with iron sights and the forward rail.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Ruger looks more rugged. Beefier sights and rail. It is heavier but part of that might be due to the Magazine. There are 3 & 5 shot mags available for the Ruger. I tried the scout scope system and I liked it. It is very fast but you do have to keep it low power. I use a fixed 2.5x pistol scope but you could easily put a red dot on it.
    If I was a machinist I would make a forward rail for my BLR similar to the Savage rail.
    The link below has a 10fcm in stock.
    http://www.kygunco.com/index.cfm

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  7. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

Over all reliability i would give for the ruger scout for SHTF

8. natman

natman Member

The Ruger is a rugged rifle, but the laminated wood stock is very heavy and the single stack magazine sticks out too far. The Savage is much lighter and handier and IMO would make a better Scout rifle.

9. Donn

Donn Active Member

Trouble with the Ruger, despite being a bolt action, the detachable box mag and flash suppressor mean it'll be on "The List."

10. longunner

longunner New Member

I don't think they would go after bolt guns if that's what you mean by the list

11. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

I have Gunsite Scout, it's fantastic, I love it!

Attached Files:

12. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Tell me more please, what do you use it for,cal? any sweet spots? or criticisms?

13. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Gunsites are .308 Win. Just got it so no deer season yet

14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't speak to the Savage, but I like my Ruger A LOT. I put a 1 3/4 X 6 Leopold Scope on it and the largest group is about 2 MOA and the smallest 1 MOA with several different brands and bullet weights!;) The trigger, out of the box, is about 4.5 lbs and crisp.

15. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Savage is likely to be the more accurate of the two and I think it is lighter, but the Ruger is built like a tank, they don't get any tougher or more reliable then a M98 style action.

16. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

I love my ruger. I haven't put an optic on it yet. I don't hunt but I have fun shooting my steel target.

17. mag318

mag318 Member

I found this one at a local shop and snapped it up. Although it comes with an Accuracy International 10 round magazine, some complain that they're a pain to load. In response Ruger now has 3,5 and 10 round polymer magazines that are lighter and easy to load. If you can only have one centerfire rifle the Gunsite Scout would be an excellent choice.

Attached Files:

18. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

I need to get some of those. I don't think my steel mag is hard to load, but I like the way those look, and you can top them off while they are still in the gun :cool:

19. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Mines a LH, it looked cool and my guys at the shop knew my weakness for my leftness. I am not fond of plastic stocks either, so I bought it.

20. sarge1967

sarge1967 New Member

I had the same debate with myself and went with the Ruger GSR. I would call this my "Grail" rifle. IMO it is the best for a SHTF scenario. Here is why.
    1. Mauser action
    2. Very handy with 16 1/2" barrel. It is lightweight as well.
    3. Simplicity. There is very little to go wrong with this rifle.
    4. Adjustability. Spacers for L.O.P. help you to fit the rifle to your exact needs. Can be changed for other shooters in the family.
    5. Firepower. .308 is plenty. Far superior than a .223. Box fed magazine with 10,5, and 3 round options.
    6. If you reload the .308 is very versatile. You can make sub sonic loads for small game and it is easy to switch one over in a hunting situation if the need arises. It is also a NATO cartridge so it will be available.
    7. Optic options. You can use standard optics,long eye relief optics or red dots. I wend with a Burris 2.75x Scout scope mounted on the forward rail. No batteries to fail and can remove it easily if it gets damaged and go to irons.
    8. Iron sights. Quality irons are on the rifle. A must for a SHTF rifle.
    9. Ease of maintenance. This rifle is far easier to clean than say an AR, M1A, Mini-14.
    Well there are the reasons I went with this rifle. I hope this helps anyone who may be trying to decide.