Firearms Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm a newbie so please be gentle hehe. I've been meaning to get a revolver to keep in the house primarily for home defense and taking to the range. After researching different models, I think I'm going with the Ruger GP100 357/38 4.2. I know firearms and ammo are very scarce right now and had a question for you guys. I found a gun shop about an hour away that has one in stock and I noticed its been in stock for some time now while all the other models have been sold out. I thought this was strange that no one was buying it and noticed that this particular model has that blue finish and not stainless steel. I read online that many choose stainless over blue because of erosion even from finger prints? Is this true? Should I hold out until I happen to find a stainless or is it not a big deal?

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
A blued pistol does deserve a bit more care but this will give you an excuse to fondle it a little more. Personally unless I lived in an extremely humid place it wouldn't worry me. Just wipe it down with a decent gun oil regularly and enjoy it. A GP100 is a fine revolver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I totally don’t mind taking care of it and t won’t be stored in a humid place.I just thought it was very strange that was the only model I stock.

·
Premium Member
11,503 Posts
Yea I totally don’t mind taking care of it and t won’t be stored in a humid place.I just thought it was very strange that was the only model I stock.
Not that odd. If someone is going to regularly carry it, it's easier to keep stainless in good condition, compared to blued. More weather resistant.

·
Premium Member
11,358 Posts
Right now the gun market is focusing on semiautomatic handguns and rifles for various reasons. You are a bit lucky you found any GP100 in stock.

If you buy it, you should be receive a lifetime of good service from a Ruger.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Not that odd. If someone is going to regularly carry it, it's easier to keep stainless in good condition, compared to blued. More weather resistant.
I'd agree with ^that.

Carried a blued S&W 442 Airweight .38 for a decade in a leather holster (inside the waistband). It had moderate wear zones along the side of the barrel, on the barrel near the muzzle where the holster "pinched" the front end, and on the rearward edge of the frame either side of the hammer area. Probably could have lasted another 5-10yrs without requiring another blueing. Maintained it well, kept it cleaned and well-oiled, and always had it in the leather holster (ie, not banging around in a drawer).

Had a buddy 25yrs ago who had a Ruger SP-101 in stainless. It always looked flawless, despite occasional carrying and hard range use.

If I were in a wetter or more-humid area and was opting to frequently carry, if given the choice between blued and stainless I'd opt for stainless.

·
Supporting Member
12,303 Posts
Mark
I would not let the Revolver being Blue stop me from getting it. As those said earlier I have never had a problem with a Blue gun and have several of them. Normal maintenance and care is all that is needed. I always clean my guns after handling them or shooting them anyway. So bottom line it would make you a fine revolver. The GP 100 Revolvers are some of the best!
"The only thing about them is that someone handles them who might have high acidic skin always wipe the gun down after handling"!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Just waiting for my next permit to be approved which should be any day now. If it’s still available I’ll probably grab it!

Thanks for all the great replies guys!! You all helped a lot!!
Another good thing about Rugers is that if you run out of ammo, you can easily beat 'em to death with it. Very well made guns. I can't imagine one ever being worn out.

·
Premium Member
11,503 Posts
Another good thing about Rugers is that if you run out of ammo, you can easily beat 'em to death with it. Very well made guns. I can't imagine one ever being worn out.
It's possible, but it would take daily use, over decades. With average use, thenway most shoot, it will still be fine when it gets handed down by the original owner's grandchildren, to the next generation.

Only thing I've seen fail on one, so far, is the springs. Only seen two lock up, one from dirt, the other from an ND that hit the revolver where the trigger group meets the frame, when the owner left it on the pistol rig, on the ground, and hit the trigger on his Colt Delta Elite, after lowering it, and sneezing.

Other one, it fell in a pile of sand, at the local rock and stone place, and a quick take down and clean fixed that (place used to let employees sight in there, on the pipes and quarry walls, and my grandfather used to drive for them, from time to time, when they got busy. Company owner's son's GP100. Dad and I got it going for him in a couple minutes, on the tailgate of my truck.)

Again, my legacy one has worked fine for the last 30 years. If you get it, and take care of it, it will outlast you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts