Ruger GP100 Reliability ??

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by mvharris23, Jan 3, 2010.

1. mvharris23

mvharris23 New Member

Earlier today, I bought my first handgun, as I turned 21 a few weeks ago. I bought a used Ruger GP100. I have done research for months, so I am certain it was the gun I wanted, and when I go to the range tomorrow to test it out, I'm sure I will love it.

My question is, how well do the GP 100's hold up over the years ? I didnt know how old it was when I bought it, I discovered a few moments ago by looking up serial numbers, that the gun I bought was manufactured sometime in 1988. Being 21 years old, how long can I expect this gun to hold up ? Assuming that I perform routine cleaning/maintenance.

Any info on older GP 100's would be great, thanks.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

With normal maintenance and reasonable care, your great grandson will be shooting it long after you're gone.

3. CCW357

CCW357 New Member

Relax, Your Grandkids will enjoy shooting it. It will last for years....:)

4. enderwig

enderwig New Member

That ruger will outlast you, and maybe your children too!
    Also, great choice. The GP100 is one of my favorite firearms, built like a tank and smooth as silk!

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You have made an intelligent investment and unless you plan to run 10K/year through her it will be a heirloom to be handed down to your family.

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Queries of revolver reliability are redundant.

However, you bought my favorite one. The older ones are perfect, the new ones, not so much.

How much did yoiu spend?

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Let's put it this way, in all my years as a gunsmith I've NEVER seen a "wore out" GP-100 (whole gun). Shoot it all you want and don't worry about it. About 30,000-50,000 rounds later it'll need a good "tune up".

8. mvharris23

mvharris23 New Member

I paid about $ 420 for the gun itself. It is the stainless model, so i think I got a decent deal for it. Thanks for all the feedback !

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You've made a solid purchase. The GP100 will outlast you if take care of it. Happy shooting.

10. Cencal

Cencal New Member

I just got back from the gun shop and am looking at a used KGP141 Ruger for $420.00 Looks like a great gun but I'm new to revolvers. Let me know how yours feels at the range.

11. flav

flav New Member

How about posting some pictures? I'm leaning towards the Ruger as well. I'm looking @ the 101 though...

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've got a 101 and like the GP, you can't go wrong. Reliable as a rock!

13. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

GP100 Reliability

[GP100 Reliability]
    I bought a GP100 brand new in 1992, a 6" blued barrel. I thought it was a great gun, untill, I noticed it was shooting everywhere. I barely fired 500 rounds through the gun. I started noticing trouble with my front sight coming loose. I then noticed a crack in the barrel, between the plunger hole and the bore hole. I sent the gun back to Ruger, they wanted $365.00 to repair it. I asked if they could stand behind their product, obviously they said "No". Basicallly, there treatment corresponds to our goverment "they dont even want to listen to you". GOOD LUCK with yours, and GOOD LUCK with Ruger!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  14. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Rugers are workhorses and I have never had one problem with their customer service, they have always been good and quick any time I have dealt with them.

15. DAMMIT

DAMMIT New Member

i shoot pistol on thursday shotgun on saturday/sunday
    the GP 100 and the SIG 226 40cal always go to the range
    i put 2 boxes through each thats over 4000 rounds a year through the GP both 38 and 357 and it is as solid as the day it came out of the box
    i don't buy a lot of guns i buy quality and IMO you can't get a better wheel gun

16. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Sorry you had trouble with your Ruger. That is honestly the first time I've ever heard anyone say anything negative about a Ruger revolver's durability. This one must have been in a medium sized explosion. I've got a Security Six made in '72 and a Service Six made in '76. Never had a single issue with these 30+ year old guns. Lots of .357 mag rounds fired through both. My shooting/hunting buddy has had his GP 100 for a couple of years now and I think it may be even tougher than mine. Your experience is inexplicable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Ruger revolver as long as it was in one piece.

17. WVwheelgunner

WVwheelgunner New Member

Please don't take offense, but I find this post bizarre. Ruger has always stood behind their guns, in my experience. Last year, they sent me parts to my 32-year old Service Six - for free. Everyone else I've spoken to has great experience with Ruger service as well. Your's is the first negative comment I've hear about Ruger.

Bullseye, were you using really hot reloads, or doing anything else to void the warranty? I'm really interested in the details.

I like both the old Security Six:[​IMG]
    And the new GP-100:[​IMG]
    Both guns have Badger grips.

18. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

WVwheelgunner, I think I may have hurt this firearm myself, after listening to allot of replies after I bashed Ruger on previous threads. I think Staulkingbear and viking may have hit the nail on the head, saying "firing a squib load followed by another. I do reload. The last time I shot my GP100, I was wearing ear protection and shooting simultaneously with other shooters. I don't think I recognized a faulty load, and kept shooting. Therefore trashing my gun, I sure would love to salvage this firearm with low costs! Any suggestions.

19. russ

russ New Member

I just picked up my KGP161 on Thursday, paid $467.86 at my local shop. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet as the weather here is not cooperating. What was covered in snow yesterday is now a mix of snow and mud, and its only 31 degrees, not what I want to go shooting in.

20. KRAGGY69

KRAGGY69 New Member

I OWN A RUGER GP100 bought it when i was 25 ,maybe 28 im now 40 and i love it as much now as then.for the first 2yrs i owned it it got 100rnds every weekend through it. since then ive slowed up alittle but still gets used alot and have had 0 PROBLEMS.i even shot some reloads of my dads that were a little hot had to smack the ejector pretty hard to get them out, 150rds i think still no problems.with stock grips and iron sights at 50yds and 5inch target they all land in the black or just on the edge and im by no means a expert shot.i use my guns not baby them so its been dropped in the creek even slid off the roof of my 2 storie house(dont ask).i hope yours is half as dependable:D

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb63/f2punk/IMG00027-20100122-2038.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010