Ruger GP100 owner - questions regarding narrowing barrel and clinking extractor

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Stuflames, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Stuflames

Stuflames New Member

So I bought one of these fine revolvers a couple months ago and have a couple questions for more knowledgeable people than I.

First off is one thing I noticed initially is that the extractor (that's what I call it, dunno its real name - the rod you push that empties the cylinder) clinks back and forth freely. Is this normal? Is there a reasonable fix?

Also when playing around with the bullets it appears that the barrel narrows slightly as it approaches the exit. A bullet when placed at where the barrel starts will enter until it hits the case. At the exit it stops short before reaching the bullet case. Is this normal? And, bonus question, if so why? Seems strange.

It's been firing fine, regardless.

Thanks for any answers.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The ejector shouldn't be clanking. They can sometimes loosen. Check and see if you can screw it tight. As far as the barrel question, I don't quite understand what you mean.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Are you talking about the muzzle or the forcing cone? The forcing cone which is at the entry point of the barrel, or just in front of the cylinder will allow a bullet to fit into it, that's its job. The bullet has to make the jump from the cylinder to the barrel and it may not be perfectly centered so a slight taper is used to guide the bullet into the barrel.

4. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Gp100

I'm not a gunsmith so I can't say for sure but on my GP100 the ejector rod springs back and stays in place there. So to me it sounds like a broken spring.
    At any rate a gunsmith can fix this for a reasonable price.

5. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

The Ejector rod of the GP100 and the SP101 both clang about because they are not locked into place like with the Smith and Wesson revolvers. Also the Forcing cone at the back part of the barrel has the Freebore for aiding the bullet alignment to the rifling of the barrel so it will be slightly larger than the muzzle. In other words your GP100 is as it is supposed to be enjoy it.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The ejector rod on my SP101 does not clang about. I just checked it.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm starting to think it's not the ejector making the noise but the transfer bar. Some SP101s have been known to make a little noise but function fine. I believe GP100s can have the same issue.

8. hogrider

hogrider New Member

I wouldn't call this movement clanging around. More like free-play and is normal as snubshooter is stating.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

The LCR has the same issue with the transfer bar rattle. Perfectly normal, Ruger says.

10. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

Perhaps "clang" was too harsh but cling or ding just didn't seem to fit. Also the transfer bar could also be making a slight rattle which is also normal to most Rugers and some S+W Sc models.

11. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

my sp101 does the same little noise,
    its my first wheel to make a noise like that but Its a Ruger.

p.s My Used Ruger is better than my new Judge public Defender.

-Nyb631

12. Zebraranger

Zebraranger New Member

Spittinfire has most likely nailed it. Its normal on the GP100's and the SP101 to have a little rattle from the transfer bar, It happens on both of mine and has no effect on function.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I assume this sound is generated when you shake the revolver?

Unless you are seeing the rod moving it's more likely the transfer bar.

[​IMG]

You can't access the barrel where it 'starts', on a revolver. That's the forcing cone and by definition, it's a cone.

Attached Files:

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

you must have a helluva camera there cane those are some good closeups.

my brother has a gp100 and its a damn rugged gun. and it does have a small rattle. you could prolly nail a house frame together with one and still shoot like nothing happened.

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

To the op:

The GP100 is a very durable and reliable gun. What you are hearing is most likely what has been previously stated, the transfer bar, however if there IS something wrong with the firearm, DO NOT attempt to work on it yourself

Give Ruger a call if it comes to that.