Ruger GP100 Match Champion. Got one yet?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Mercator, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Anyone had a chance to shoot the MC and compare it to a good regular GP100 or a 586/686?

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Not yet but I am very much a GP100 guy.
    Thing is, those things dont wear out. I have a 4 inch in SS, with I would guess 7000 rds thru it and its hard to tell from new when fully cleaned up.

So its hard to justify buying more and more of them.

I do own a Wiley Clapp however which I consider a kissing cousin of the MC.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Shotgun News says Ruger improved the trigger. I've had a GP (bought used with a bit of rust), and it was superb for me - except the DA trigger pull. And when I had the trigger weight reduced, the GP started having light DA strikes. So looking to hear from fellow shooters about the MC.

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The Wiley Clapp + the Royal Phoenix (both of which I own among other GP100s) also come withe that same improved trigger from the factory.

To methe incentive for a the MC is the rarity of it form acollectors perspective :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  5. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

I have a Match Champion. But have never shot a GP100 so I can't tell you about any differences. I'm happy with my choice.

6. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Have a gp100 and would like a match champion, but haven't commited to buying one yet. I like the looks and the improvements seem pretty nice. The DA trigger on my gp100 is pretty smooth, but it's pull is heavy as hell! Id like to see how the trigger in the mc feels.

7. pgf102

pgf102 New Member

I have an older GP100, the Match and a 686SSR. I have to say I am a little disappointed in the Match Champion. It functions OK but the original GP shoots as good or better. The MC does have the the cylinder charge holes chamfered so reloads are a little easier than the older GP.
    As much as I am a strong fan and supporter of Ruger revolvers (I love my SP101) I have to say the S&W is just a better revolver overall. Besides having all the competitive features that the MC has, I like its balance better than the MC and the fit and finish is of a much higher standard than the Ruger. But it is also a good $100+++ more expensive than the MC but I believe it is worth it.
    Just my opinion -
    Paul

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

When a gunsmith does a trigger job on a revolver they use a lighter hammer spring so there isn't so much tension on the trigger mechanism. You likey need to use the stock hammer spring. One would think 2 lb won't make that much of a difference but sometimes 2 lb is to much.

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I like the looks of the MC but with the price tag and it doesn't come with an adjustable rear, I don't think I'll be buying one. I like adjustable sights on my competition guns.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Personally I think sw revolvers are the height of ugly. I'm sure some folks like em as they do sell. But I'm not one. Don't care for the actions on them either. If your going to get a revolver you have to baby get a colt python

Personally I would opt for the regular gp100 and get the wolf reduced power spring kit and a hiviz fiber front sight. I don't care for fixed sights on a da revolver. You have limited but powerful ammo and stupid slow reload times why gimp yourself when every shot counts...

The sa pull on a gp100 is outstanding right out of the box. I've shot wind's gp and they are steller handguns.

11. FernandoTheCommando

I agree. The single action is great and the gun is nothing short of perfect. That da pull takes some getting used to. When i first bought it, I was constantly shooting low and left because I was pushing with my firing hand and anticipating recoil (i think). I've been thinking about that wolf spring kit but I've yet to find a gun smith in my area that I trust. I learned my lesson trying to do my own gun smithing so ill leave it to professionals lol. Haven't shot this walther yet but the trigger pull seems great. Every review I've read basically says thats it's claim to fame. Time will tell and I'm itching to get some rounds down range. I bought some bulk fmj range ammo to break it in.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

You can easily do your own springs on these. Its part of the basic takedown for cleaning. The manual details how for the owner. These arent the typical complicated revolver assemblies.

13. FernandoTheCommando

Good to know. I'll have to check it out in the manual. Thanks!

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I shot the GP well, but decided to bring it up a notch because I also have a Python. A high benchmark. The GP was very good with the Williams Firefly (?) sights and a lighter DA pull. It still fired quality HP's reliably. The only time it had light strikes was on harder primed practice ammo, Fiocchi in my case.

The GP was not the best balanced revolver because of the relatively small grips and a 6" barrel with a full underlug. The MC has a 4" barrel with a reduced underlug and should not feel nose heavy. The factory MC grip looks like a great aftermarket option for the original GP.

The 586 I think is an exception among the newer Smiths for its classy look. The short underlug also helps. (I am more interested in shooting the 38s, only occasionally the 357s). The Ruger is kind of exclusive for now. A used 586 might be the best deal as n everyday shooter.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014