Ruger GP100 in .38 Special?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Vandy-boy, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Vandy-boy

Vandy-boy New Member

First of all, I have been lurking and reading this forum for a few weeks and have thoroughly enjoyed the posts. Good reading for a newbie.

I would appreciate your opinions and comments about a .38 special Ruger GP100. 4" barrel, blue finish, rosewood/rubber grips - offered to me new for sale for $379.00.

This would be my first handgun. Shot a Remington 1100 16 gauge and a 1945 Winchester .22 short rifle (both inherited from my Dad) for years. I would like a decent home defense weapon and something to target shoot on our farm. I want something my wife could shoot (she is not afraid of anything and is tough as nails for a gal that is 5'2".) My bro-in-law is retired law enforcement and strongly urges me to start out with a good revolver.

What do you guys think of the gun itself and how it would work for my intended uses? I keep reading good things about this gun and how a good .38 special +P bullet is a fine stopper.

I appreciate your feedback and comments.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

A GP100 is a fine sturdy revolver that will give you a lifetime of service. Not sure I've ever seen one in .38 though as all I have seen are in .357 Magnum (which will shoot .38 Special just fine)...

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Word.

The GP100 is my FAVORITE .357

although i feel the new porduction guns arent half as good as the older ones that came with the neoprene and rosewood grips.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

GP100 = Tank.

I never heard of a .38 GP100 if there is such a thing. The point of the GP100 is that it's a stout revolver that can shoot .357's all day and also shoot .38's for practice to keep costs down.

I suggest finding a GP100 in .357, you'll love it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  5. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

The GP100 isn't offered in .38 Spl, specifically. It's chambered in .357 Magnum, and .357 revolvers can also fire .38 Spl, to plink with cheaper ammo and less recoil, if you prefer that. It's a fantastic gun, and built like a tank. Your grandkids can shoot it long after you're gone.

6. Vandy-boy

Vandy-boy New Member

Ruger did make .38 +P special only

I just called the factory. Last year of .38 special only production was 2006. The dealer says it is new, and it does appear never to have been fired. Do you think it's been sitting around unsold because it is a .38 special only?

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

That would be my guess. Most folks would rather have a .357 chambering in a full-size revolver as then you have the option to shoot .357 or .38 depending on your druthers. With +P loads this would still be an effective home defense gun...

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's a good price. However having owned multiple GP100's, my opinion is to do yourself a favor and buy a .357.
    Note my forum name: CA357, it's not like I'm prejudiced or something. :D

9. Vandy-boy

Vandy-boy New Member

Sort of a dilemma

I would rather buy one in a .357, but my options are limited. My wife bought me a gift certificate for Christmas from this particular local gun store, and unfortunately they hardly stock any weapons. I am afraid they may be having money problems. The kicker is there is a fantastic gun shop 8 miles away with a huge selection of new and used revolvers. I am pretty sick about the whole deal - my wife was really trying to do something nice for me, but the store she picked sucks.

I have a limited selection at the price range I want to stay in (under $400.00.) They do have a new .357 SP100 snubbie for $100.00 more ($479), but I would rather have a snubbie in .38 and the .357 with a four inch barrel. There are some snub Taurus models in .38, but the long Ruger is in the same price range and I feel it is more substantial. I contemplated ordering a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 special, but several people at the gun shop spoke against the .44 special. I know a snub .44 is not a fun gun to shoot at targets, plus ammo is expensive and a pain to find. I really just don't know what to do at this point.

Didn't mean to whine to you guys - just perplexed on the whole deal.

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

GP 100 is available in .327 Magnum and .357 Magnum only.

RUGER GP100 LINK: Ruger GP100 Double-Action Revolver Models

However, you will find that the GP100 shoots .38 Specials & +P .38 Specials quite well.

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Yeah I've never seen one in .38. Check the gun again and just make sure it doesn't have a big .357 mag etched on it. If it is in fact a .38 special that price sounds good, but you would be better off finding something else at that little store and getting a .357 for all other practical purposes.

12. lastrebel

lastrebel New Member

re rugar38 special

I like mine I bought 1 week ago ,and thats a good price 379.00 new

13. lastrebel

lastrebel New Member

I like mine I just bought it week ago.And thats a good price as well took it today first time shot 50 rounds no jams :)

14. russ

russ New Member

I say go for it. You're stuck with that store and the GP100 is a great gun. You already know that .38sp in a +P will be almost as effective as .357 for stopping BG's, so just do it.

15. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Got mine used off of gunbroker. It looked like it had never been fired, exceptionally clean. $400 including shipping and transfer fees even here in the great state of Kalifornia. There are deals to be had if you take the time to look. Good luck!

16. lastrebel

lastrebel New Member

when i bought my rugar gp100 I paid 424.95 new .It did include transfer ,back ground check .So You got a good price :)

17. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between the "alloy steel" of the blued models and the stainless steel models? I mean to ask if there are functional or strength differences & what they are; i get that one isn't blued.

18. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

But since you mentioned it,a .327 mag would be a good way to go too because it can fire .327 mags(almost equivelent to a .357)and .32 H&R(which are equivelent to a .38 special),and both rounds have less recoil than .357 and .38,and in a GP100 you actually get 7 shots and not 6 like with the .357 or .38.

19. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Not be rude, but revolvers don't jam. The GP100 can handle tens of thousands of rounds with absolutely NO maintenance other than periodic cleaning.

As far as the .327 goes. I was totally uninterested at first, but after further review it is not as impractical as I initially thought. In addition to .32 S&W longs you can also shoot regular sport .32 S&W and .32 H&R Magnum. Definitely a good selling point.

However, for practice rounds (.32 and .32 long) you will pay at least 10 cents more per round for the cheap stuff and close to .25 cents more per cartridge for magnum round in either .32 H&R or .327. It is also more scarce than the older cartridges by far.

The extra chamber is handy as well as something different rather than the same old .38/.357, if that's what give you kicks, but in my opinion. . . "Why fix it if it ain't broke?"

As far as the GP100 in .38 special only. WHY??? I couldn't imagine having that tank of a gun that couldn't take full house .357 loads. It would eliminate a large spectrum of the gun's purpose. . . A MOUNTAIN GUN.

Go ahead and take your chances with a .38 vs. black bear. :eek:

20. lastrebel

lastrebel New Member

i like mine i bout it 2 weeks ago and thats a good price you got i paid 424.95 new