Ruger gp 101. 357

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by fakwak, Aug 2, 2012.

1. fakwak

fakwak New Member

Thinking about the Ruger 357, anybody have any thoughts on this revolver?

2. downsouth

downsouth New Member

3. downsouth

downsouth New Member

You are not going to find a better revolver for the money. IMHO

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Should be a great gun. I have the sp 101 (snubby) it's a tank. Just kicks like a mule.

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

When it comes to revolvers, three companies come to my mind that you can trust anything they put their name on: Colt, Smith & Wesson, and Ruger.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Built like a tank, just keeps going and going. Best value out there for that platform...IMHO of course...;)

7. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Defenitly. I bought one last October and I love that revolver. You cant go wrong with a Ruger. What length barrel are you looking at getting? I bought the four inch and its a little heavy to carry everyday. But i do conseal it every once in a while.

Attached Files:

8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

So, which one of you either own or have shot a GP 101?

9. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Cross between GP-100 and SPS-101?

10. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I have my GP100 in my nightstand and wouldn't trade it for any 10 guns. It is the perfect all around gun and, in my opinion, the very best made revolver there is. I own 17 handguns and if I had to give up all but one I would keep my GP100.

11. vincent

vincent New Member

Just chalked it up to a typo my man...:cool:

12. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Didnt even catch that. Just buy either one and you will be happy.

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree here. I have a GP100. I call it my "business gun". My .22 is my "fun gun" and my .380 is my "carry gun" but in my home, that GP100 is going to be what I reach for first. I will never sell that revolver.

14. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Not even for the price of 20$ and a firm handshake? :p

15. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I've owned numerous magnum caliber revolvers... but the 6" GP 100 is my absolute favorite.

16. dash08pilot

dash08pilot New Member

I have an GP 100 with a 6" barrel. This is by far my favorite gun. Very fun shoot. Looks great and last a long time.

17. genesis

genesis New Member

Hi fakwak. That "GP" instead of "SP" thru me at first. I've had my GP100 since the mid 80's. I reload and cast my own bullets. I can't even begin to estimate how many hundreds of thousands of rounds I've put through it. Not many magnums, just plain ol 38 wad-cutters at around 750 FPS. Extremely pleasant to shoot. It's a TANK!

I don't have any experience with the SP101. I see it comes in many calibers and configurations. If you want a CC weapon, check out the Ruger LCR 38/357. My girlfriend has one and I've shot it extensively. What a gun! Lite as a potato chip, butter smooth trigger, reliable as dirt, and super accurate.

One more suggestion. Go to youtube and do a search on any gun you may be interested in. There are a bazillion gun reviews on youtube. I can't tell you how many hundreds and hundreds of hours I've spent watching them. A fella named Hickok45 has over 650 gun review videos, and he does an excellent job. Another good reviewer is Nutnfancy. But I warn you, watching these videos can become addictive!

Good luck in what ever you purchase and let us know what you end up getting.

Don <><

18. vincent

vincent New Member

Hickok45 is actually a member here at the honorable FTF...:cool:

19. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Is he still active?

20. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Look who popped up !