Ruger GP 100 Royal Phoenix

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bluez, Jul 4, 2013.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Alternate title of this post was going to be:

"Have you ever owned a revolver that seems too beautiful to shoot?"

I just picked up this piece yesterday. Was not cheap and I had to drive into the boonies 2:20 hr one way.
    Only 589 ever made!!!!
    The GP 100 Royal Phoenix Edition was a special run for Lipsey's inspired by a Lipsey's executives Python.
    Has been out of production.

it came with a lot of extras a nice holster and a bunch of speed loaders:
    The pics don't do it justice

The blueing is very deeply lustrous and mirror like and is meant to equal that of the Colt Python of yore.
    The trigger and hammer are mirror polished Stainless.
    This also makes the trigger action act like it's had a trigger job.

I am told the Hogue grips are real Walnut and of course it has the fiber optic sight.

After I got it even though I love it I almost regretted getting it since i am not sure I will dare shoot it but last night I went to zero it.
    Gave it a thorough Zero took me 250 rds;)
    (pics taken after firing and subsequent cleaning)

I have another GP 100 4 inch in stainless which is my workhorse for handgunning and its feel/balance etc is identical.

I adjsuted the rear sights by look to match the ones on my existing 4 inch GP as a crude form of "dry zero" before i went to shoot it.

The gun has been shot so little the cylinder line is barely noticable.

it has not seen a lot of use and is nearly LNIB with no scratches to be found <anywhere>
    The box even includes the spare front sight ( standard Ruger style) and several different color inserts with the tools to change them for the fiber optic insert in the high viz front sight.

I am tempted to just frame it and hold it in reserve as a near new GP 100 for SHTF.

The Speedloaders that came with it BTW are the Cats last miau.
    They are spring loaded and I kid you not I was able to to reloads with them in about 1.5 seconds.

They make even an average dude like me look like almost Massad Ayoub (sp?)

The 2 college kids who were shooting next to me were just amazed and how accurate yours tturly shot this Revolver and the speedloader action made them think I was some sort of Guru when I am obviously not.

In one of the pics you cna see a bit of the mirror finish shine on the trigger and hammer.

The feeling of this Revolver is hard to describe kinda seems like it has a soul like the great Swords of the ancients.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  2. vincent

vincent New Member

Shexy!!!

Gratz', she's a real looker!

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

What's with the rusty barrel and loaded gun pointed in the general direction of your head? Lol
    Nice piece.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

WOW! that's nice!

myself, i let others buy the limited editions or commemratives and stick them in a safe and never shoot them to not devalue them. me, i buy mine to shoot. i am a shooter and not a collector or invester.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

As one who admires revolvers.......that is one beautiful revolver. Congratulations.

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I was trying to bring out how the cylinder and rounds are reflected on the blueing.

There is no rust in the barrel any weird appearance is a artifact of photography:eek:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Definitely sounds like the pics don't do it justice.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Pretty Gun

Yeah I don't blame you for not shooting it...I have 2 limited edition commeratives in presentation cases that don't even come out of the safe except to clean and show to folks....and they get handled with gloves on ONLY...

9. Firenailer

Firenailer New Member

She's a beaut Clark!

10. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Thanks Fellas !!:cool:

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I know someone who handles his Colt 100 anniversary 1911 with gloves on. And he also wipes it down as he places it back in the box.

12. mdauben

mdauben New Member

No, I'm of the firm belief that guns are made to be shot and that 'safe queens' are a terrible tragedy.

I can understand, intellectually, that some guns have collectors value that depreciates if they are used but if I truly felt a gun was too rare or valuable or historically significant to shoot, I would have no interest in buying it.

YMMV of course!

In your case, the gun is no longer truly NIB so that already detracts from any potential collectors value it might have possessed. Plus from your description it's a sweet shooter and you really enjoyed it. It would seem a real shame not to shoot it on a regular basis. ;)

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Gorgeous gun. I agree with a couple others. That gun needs to be shot. You can always clean it. Shooting won't hurt its value. And if you never sell it YOU decide it's value. Is it more valuable to you as a splendid shooter or as a safe queen? You have to decide. Me? I shoot all my guns. I don't have any THAT beautiful, heaven knows, but even if I did I'd still take er out.

14. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Me too, but I have the 75th annv. 1911(1986)....and the 100th annv. Colt SAA...last time I had them out before the other day was over 2 yrs. ago Back east...I also treat My Late Dad's & Late Uncle's other Guns the same way...I have 4 of the 6 guns My dad carried between the Army & the Postal Police...including his last two duty guns,..the Security Six he carried for 10 of the 12 yrs. he was a Sgt. and then the P-85 the P.O. Police adopted, his was engraved with his name & dates of service and presented to me when they dedicated the Command's New Locker room(named after him) @90 Church St.(NYC HQ) across from Ground Zero...I also have my Uncles' S&W Bodyguard .38 and the handcuffs he carried when they arrested Son of Sam...

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Beautiful revolver! I LOVE the grips!

Maybe some lube for the turnline area next time you zero? Might keep the line from becoming visible.