Ruger GP 100 (Match Champion)

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Bluestar99, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

I am looking at getting my first Revolver. I have settled on a Ruger GP100 stainless with the 4" Barrel. When I stopped in at my gun store they had just put out a GP 100 Match Champion. The salesman said it has a better trigger and the barrel is different . Has anyone had any experience with the Match Champion version to be able to tell me if there are enough improvements in the new version to warrant the extra money. Thanks

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What are they asking for it?

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It is dovetailed for Novak rear sights and a high visibility front sight. Changing sights would be easy with this revolver. The barrel is a different profile, with machined flats on the sides. Probably couldn't get that machine work done by a gunsmith for much less. I don't know if Ruger did any trigger work on those, but the gunsmith back in GA that I used to go to, would do some nice trigger work on the GPs for around $80.

The other thing you have to ask yourself is if you would want those features on a GP100 if you bought a base model. If you do. Then $100 more s not a bad deal. If you would have been happy with a standard GP. Then the extra hundred isn't worth it to you.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Is the front sight secured with a spring loaded detente?

5. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

The Match Champion version felt a little better balanced and slightly lighter when handling both. The MC has wooden grips that did not feel as comfortable as the rubber grips on the standard model. I would prefer to not buy a gun and modify it later if I don't have to. Sorry I can't remember the price they were asking. I usually figure out the gun I want and then shop price.

6. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Buy it buy it buy. I own a gp100 and want to trade up for a match champion. What a gun. Buy it so I can see pics and be jealous.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

7. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

I just called the gun shop that has the best prices. They do not have either model in stock right now. But their price on a Standard GP 100 4" stainless is 560.00. But they will not order or hold one. First come first served so it could take awhile. The other store always has stock and has several MC in stock. I'll take a ride over and see what they want for both models.

8. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

Well I went in and bought the Match Champion this afternoon. It was $729.00. But nowhere else around me had it in stock, nor did they know when they would get one. I'll pick it up on Thursday!

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Awesome. I want to see pictures.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Awesome!! Congrats.

I want pictures on Thursday.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Firearms Talk mobile app

12. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I just got a GP100 3" Model myself, nice gun if I do say so myself. Here is Ruger's Youtube video describing what has been done to the Match Champion VS. the Stock GP100:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAbiKocoSQo[/ame]

Wouldn't mind having one myself if I didn't already have this GP100 and a 1976 Security Six in layaway.

13. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

Thanks guys! Great video too. Now I can't wait to shoot it. The temperatures here are below zero but I will still shoot it as soon as I can. Pictures to follow.

14. Tinstar

Tinstar New Member

Congratulations and I'm sure you will love it! I just purchased a brand new in the box Ruger GP 100 Talo edition Wiley Clapp II (only 2500 were made) and it is great! A friend of mine in the local Sheriff's Dept. told me that one of his co-workers had this for sale and he was offering it for what he purchased it for plus two boxes of ammo. This guy is annal about his firearms. He purchased the gun to use, then couldn't do it because it looked so good and was a limited run...just couldn't bring himself to shoot it! He had never even cocked it or pulled the trigger. Every time I would pick it up, he had to wipe it down! I just fell into this deal and I'm happy that I had the money to grab it! The first run was a matte gray in color with the Novak rear sight and fiber optic front sight, which I really liked. This one is black with the Novak rear sight and the Novak gold dot front sight. I'm very happy with it. After I paid him for it, I cocked it and also tried the double action in front of the guy and I saw him actually cringe and groan! LOL!

15. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

Got it! This thing is sweet. I'll have to wait till Monday to fire it. I did pick up one of the rubber grips also.

Attached Files:

16. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

They did have a Wiley Clapp edition in stock also. It was the black version. Beautiful revolver, it was a tough choice.

17. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Looks great, but I will stick with my base Gp100.